Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shields

Default Nipple Shields

My baby is 5 days old and breastfeeding is going well with a nipple shield my lactation consultant gave me. She said the baby had a shallow latch...I am thankful we got rid of the pain and my nipples are recovering from the bad latch but will I have to nurse with the shield forever?

Default Re: Nipple Shields

No not at all! Do a search of similar threads and you will find that many of us have had similar problems and have weaned successfully. You can also PM (private message) me if you have any questions. Right click on my name, or anyone elses, and you can see the option to PM someone. Congrats on your little one!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I had huge problems with my nipples and used a nipple shield from week 2 to week 10, although less in later weeks. I got my daughter off the shield without any problem, but my lactation consultant worked with(observed) us when I first started weaning so she could provide useful suggestions if needed. It was helpful having her support and my recommendation would be that you talk to her again about assistance with weaning when your nipples are ready. My nipple problems persisted so I didn't wean all at once, I started using it only occasionally on one - the good - side, just to give the nipple a break and not reinjure. Then when the other side started to heal I decreased the number of uses on that side too. What I mean is that sometimes I used the shield and sometimes not. When dd started to cluster feed and my nipples got tired I used it a little more. Eventually i dropped it entirely. As much as it was a relief to have the shield to ease my pain, it was an even greater relief to get rid of it! Rest assured, you will be rid of it and probably sooner than I was. Best of luck.

Congratulations on your new baby. I also had to use a nipple shield on one side until my LO was about two months old. It is hard not to get frustrated about having to use the shield; it can be messy and doesn't feel as natural. I was in a hurry to get rid of it myself, but as in all things breastfeeding related, patience and positive attitude are key!!!!! Slowly but surely my DD got better at latching on the inverted side, and now the shield is a distant memory. She is 5 months now and I enjoy every nursing session we have. It definitely took us a while to get here, but hang in there. Instead of worrying about the shields, try to take it one feeding at a time and really commend yourself for everything you've accomplished so far. One of my big mistakes was clinging to a notion of how breastfeeding is "supposed to be," and getting frustrated when it wasn't as easy or serene as I wanted it to be. Some moms have an easier time of it, but some of us face numerous challenges. I can guarantee you it will all be worth it when your baby gets to be about 2 months old and she looks up at you, makes eye contact, and smiles when she finally makes the connection between you and her source of sustenance. So many of my best times with my daughter are after a nursing session, when she smiles and coos up at me for a few quiet minutes. Good luck and god bless! You're DOING IT!

I also was given a nipple shield by the LC in the hospital. My baby girl just refused to latch. The LC said that her tongue was too far back in her mouth and she needed to be trained to bring her tongue forward. We started using it at 5 days old. We couldn't have breastfed without it.

I thought that I would have to use it forever, but at 10 days old, I started to swap the shield off after 5 minutes into each feeding. Sometimes she would latch right away, sometimes she wouldn't, but I tried at every feeding. By the time she was 2 weeks old, she was latching every time after I swapped the shield off. I decreased the amount of time that I used the shield, every day, and now at 3 weeks old, she is latching without the shield.

I thought it would never happen, but now she is a champ. It may take you longer, but stick with it. Your baby will get there.

Good Luck!