Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication question - concerned/TMI sorry

Default Medication question - concerned/TMI sorry

I had my post partum visit today and due to some problems I have been having, my OB put me on medication. I am going to have the prescription filled tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone else has taken this or something like it.

Anusol HC suppositories. YUCK. My OB prescribed for me due to bathroom problems (bleeding with bm's). I have talked with her about how important BF is to me and that I do not want to do anything to compromise my milk supply for my LO. I am not going on BC b/c I don't want to risk any changes to my supply.

If anyone has taken Anusol, has it interfered at all with BF'ing?? I looked on the internet and have seen warnings to consult a physician before taking this medication if breastfeeding.

Here's what I found when looking online:

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

The safety of this medicine during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established. Seek medical advice from your doctor.

From Breastfeedingbasics.com:

All the major hemorrhoidal preparations, such as Americaine, Anusol, Nupercainal, Preparation H, and Tucks gel or pads are safe to use while breastfeeding.

Also, I have to take Colace and Fibersure. Has anyone taken these as well?

Default Re: Medication question - concerned/TMI sorry

I can't comment on the other things, but Colace is prescribed to almost every mother in the hospital after giving birth (usually one pill before leaving the hospital). I was also on it for 3 months PP in addition to the iron supplements I was on. I would say that's fine. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Wink Re: Medication question - concerned/TMI sorry

I too was given Colace for bathroom problems (bleeding with bm's). I have also been using Benefiber - they make a powered form that completely dissolves and can be mixed in almost anything (even when cooking). I used it as a good excuse to make cookies that have tons of fiber in them and it is tasteless and non gritty so you can't even tell it is there. I served them to visitors the other day and no one knew they were eating super high fiber cookies! My doc said Metamucil (so?) is good but I can't stand the grit and taste when there is a grit-free and tast-free option.

You may also want to try Tucks pads for cleaning the area as toilet paper and irritate it or leave lent that causes more problems. Another option, if you are home, use a spray bottle or rinse in the shower after a bowel movement to clean the area then gently pat dry but do not rub! Be sure to wear some loose fitting undergarments at some point each day if you can (so everything can have some fresh air). I bought mens boxers to wear to bed and they are so comfy - I now know why guys wear them. They are more comfy than the womens night shorts that are made for style not comfort! It looks like you are about 6 weeks PP so you may not be too concerned with style and looking sexy at sleeping time anyways since you are hoping for sleep whenever possible.

Good luck and I completely understand your pain!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

according to my O.B, anusol is one of the safe options.

I have used all of the above. I won't go into details, but 11 months later, I am still dealing with hermorhoids and am probably heading into the OR to resolve it...but this isn't about me, is it ?

So...I did notice a slight dip in my supply with the anusol that I only noticed while pumping, but not enough to affect dd during the times we were together. I am not absolutely sure that it was related, but I would use them again, if I thought it was going to help. Most topical type medications are safe, becuase such a small amount enters the blood stream...they are made to be site specific, so to speak. Thus, if only a small amount enters the bloodstream, an even smaller amount enters breastmilk.

The colace is absoutely safe to take...I was prescribed it after my C-section, and I think that is a fairly common practice, because pain medications usually cause constipation. I am still taking it, like I said, 11 months later.

good luck...I certainly hope you have better luck than I have had!

Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Bryan, Texas

I took anusol in the hospital as I was put on major iron supplements (my iron went from 13 to 5.9 after I hemorrhaged) that were really constipating. When I got home I didn't want to take the iron or anusol so I started finding other ways to "go", KWIM? I eat prunes regularly and dried apricots. Those help a ton. If I feel like its a problem, I'll take some alfalfa for a few days and that always helps.

I also used my "peri bottle" from the hospital and my home birth kit. I mixed a few squirts of betadine and filled the rest of the bottle with warm water. Then I rinsed really well with that and pat dry. Really helped any irritation and felt oh so nice warm water on the bum is a good thing.

All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

TY for all of your replies. *ETA: I started the Fibersure powder today. Since I only drink water, I add it to my bottled water and cannot even tell it's in there. That stuff is great - hope it works!

I have also been eating dried fruits (prunes, apricots, apples, pears). Blah. I wipe every time with cottonelle wet wipes - I have for years now. I can't "go" without them.

I had no idea why I was having these issues and was embarrased to find out what was causing it, but to know others have dealt with it too, is comforting. Glad I'm not the only one who walks around like I just got off a horse after I go to the bathroom.

epbrown - I am so sorry you might have to go the the O.R. - I hope you feel better soon!!! Good luck to you!
    Last edited by DebiMommyTo2; December 1st, 2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added info.