Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping for now/want to breastfeed

Default pumping for now/want to breastfeed

my 11 day old did great with breastfeeding until my milk came in and now if i can get him to latch on he'll only nurse for 5 mins. and then he's "done" and i then have to pump and bottle feed. we try breastfeeding about once a day, i've tried all the "tricks" (i.e. skin to skin contact, etc...) is there any hope for us to breastfeed or am i stuck with pumping? also...since i am pumping...how many oz. should i be feeding and how often...right now he's getting 3oz. every 2 1/2 to 3 hours (he's a big boy)
    Last edited by case; November 20th, 2006 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: pumping for now/want to breastfeed

My son has never nursed for more than 5 mins. Now we are at 2-3 minutes mostly and he is 11 weeks. He usually meets his wet diapers each day and has gained 4 pounds in 2 months. How is is diaper output? I have heard many posters say that is one way you can tell if they are getting enough besides weighing them.

he definitely has plenty of wet and poopy diapers. how often are you having to nurse with only 2-3 mins at a time? so if he nurses for only five mins on only one side (he was doing 10-15 in the hospital~granted no milk at that point) i should just leave it at that?
    Last edited by case; November 20th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

He nurses every 2-3 hours, so I think we get in 9 feedings per 24 hours. I had a lactation consultant come out because I thought there was no way he was getting enough milk. She said that he is just really good at his job. I still have a hard time accepting it, but the scale does not lie! I am such a novice at this even though this is my second time bf. I wish I could offer some helpful tips, but I don't have any. Just hang in there and if the diapers and weight gain is there then that is a good sign he is getting enough. Just try not to give up I kept thinking he would starve and almost quit so many times. I still worry about my supply constantly, I even pump in the am and have freezer stash, just in case!

Kristie

I had similar problems with my son but he would fall asleep just about as soon as I put him on the breast. The thing that really worked for us was doing breast compressions. It turns out for us he wanted a faster milk flow. Here's a good link on how to do breast compressions and some other links I found helpful.

Breast Compressions

Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

Is Baby Getting Enough Milk?

Hope that helps! Reesa

You aren't necessarily stuck wiht pumping forever! I only nursed my daughter for about a week or two in the beginning, then she never nursed again until she was two months old - she would always fall asleep or cry before then. Now I am exclusively breastfeeding, (she's 6 mo.) and it seems so easy now. Just keep up the pumping, and try to get baby to nurse as often as you can for as long as you can. If it gets too stressful, just take a break and go back to it later. As far as how much - I think 3 oz. is about right - just watch the diapers and weight gain. You're doing great!

thank you all so much....just "hearing" your comments has helped me tremendously (mentally, at least!) now i'm addicted to this web page!

I did the same thing with my first child, she is now 7. She had nipple confusion because we introduced the bottle too early. When my milk came in, she would scream as soon as I put her to the breast. I was so determined to breast feed that for the first 8 weeks, I would pump and put it in a boottle. It was extra work pumping, bottle feeding, washing and sterilizing the bottles and pump. When I went back to work, I couldn't keep up. I was hardly sleeping because of all the pumping and sterilizing. With the support of LLL meetings, she learned to feed from the breast. Their advice to me was to bottle feed a few ounces to where she was not so hungry and then work on latching her on. It took less than 2 wks to get her to feed directly from the breast. It made my life so much simpler.

Second time around, My son (5 wks old), did I listen to my instinct, No . The nurse practically screamed at me that there was "no such thing as nipple confusion" when I explained to her why I didn't want my son to have a bottle or a pacifier. I was terrified by her reaction and just okayed for the baby to have a bottle simply because I figured the RN new what she was talking about. Ofcourse we battled with nipple confusion except we overcame it within the first week and a half. We are still working on proper latch on because he suck too much air.

Hang in there. Just keep working at it and get help from a lactation consultant. Keep practicing and don't give up.