Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green mucus poop possible causes/remedy?

Default Green mucus poop possible causes/remedy?

This is going to be long and complicated, bear with me. My son was doing great EBF from birth. Around 12 weeks, he began to have bad diarrhea, at least 10 times a day, pure liquid and green. It also caused a bad rash. I cut dairy and the rash went away, frequency reduced, but it has always been green and mucousy since then. I've also cut soy, wheat, and all nuts. This week I was on vacation so I had a full week with no pumping whatsoever. To my surprise, his poop went back to yellow and creamy on the last two days of vacation. I went back to work/pumping on Sunday and his poop went back to mucus by Monday morning,green mucus by Monday night which makes me think this is a supply or foremilk issue? I work 12 hour overnight shifts so I feed him around 8pm, pump around 2 and 6 am and then feed him at home around 10 am. He takes two pumped bottles while I'm at work, about 11 oz total. Any thoughts on why this would happen and what I can do to remedy this? He's slow to gain weight as well. I give him a probiotic daily, he's just about 6 months old and we just started solids once a day. Now that I look back, his issues all started when I went back to work/started pumping. What can I do?

Default Re: Green mucus poop possible causes/remedy?

How often are you nursing in a 24 hour period when you are not working?
    How often are you nursing when you are working?
    How much do you pump while working?
    11 oz in two bottles during a 14 hour separation sounds like rather large bottles kinda far apart, is he sleeping during most of this time?
    Usually 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation is what is recommended in bottles that are between 2-4 oz each to mimic normal breastfeeding size and frequency though if baby is sleeping most of the time you are apart but getting to nurse extra frequently while you are together then it may not be a problem.

Growth and weight gain tend to slow by 6 months but are you saying his weight gain has been too slow since you went back to work?

Green mucos poop all on it's own is not to worry about but along with other symptoms it might help pinpoint the problem. Now if cutting dairy took care of the rash then you can probably test by drinking a big glass of milk and see if the rash comes back to test it. If cutting out the other things didn't make a difference then you can probably start them again (no sense in starving yourself if it doesn't make a difference.)

As to the supply/formilk issue, in general that is a non issue. Normally the oversupply formilk issue is only when mom has an extreme over supply (as in firehose spray letdowns, baby gaining weight extremely fast, nursing very fast, and mom getting overfull between even frequent nursing sessions.)

How does your supply feel to you? Are you only pumping the two times during the 12 hour shift? How much milk do you get when you pump?

Does baby have pain, gas issues with the green poop?

In some cases green watery poop along with extremely poor weight gain can actually mean baby isn't getting enough milk overall.

I nurse him about 8 times in a 24 hour period on the days I don't work. When I do work, he takes 2 bottles overnight and sleeps the rest of the time. I get 11-15 oz when I pump at work and usually leave a 5 and a 6 oz bottle for him and freeze the rest if there's over 11 oz. I had his diapers tested for blood and they were negative, the doctor told me to go ahead and add back all the foods except for dairy and when I tried, he had visible blood that night. His weight gain has been slow since I went back to work but I just made the correlation after vacation brought normal poops. He is 6 months next week and was 14 lbs 15 oz yesterday, I did a weighed feed and he took 3.5 oz yesterday. I have never really worried about my supply, he has plenty of wet diapers and poops a few times per day. His poop isn't watery any more, it varies between green and yellow but it honestly usually just looks like a diaper full of yellow or green mucus with a little poop mixed in. My doctor's solution was formula which I really don't want to do, I got a second opinion and she said he's fine but the mucus really bothers me and I do worry about his weight. Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate it.

This week I was on vacation so I had a full week with no pumping whatsoever. To my surprise, his poop went back to yellow and creamy on the last two days of vacation.
    So not only were you not pumping, but baby was exclusively breastfed during this week? No bottles?

If you suspect a correlation between work separations and baby having these poop issues, then I wonder- who is caring for your baby while you are at work? How does he handle the separations? Lots of crying or fine? Lots of pacifier use? (I am wondering about swallowed spittle) Is it possible the 5 or 6 ounce bottles are simply too large a meal at once? IS it possible the bottles are not cleaned and rinsed entirely well? Or maybe a reaction to the bottles or nipples themselves? Or to something on the caregivers clothing or hands?

Is baby getting milk pumped when you were still eating dairy, or 'new' milk?

Typically green poop is not a big deal. I am also not aware that mucous in the stool alone is an indicator of some issue. What would be concerning is true slow gain. Knowing what baby weighs now does not tell us anything about weight gain, have you tried charting his weight gain yourself? Has the doctor been concerned about his gain? Do you notice an attendant fussiness or any other issues or only the poop?

As far as foremilk, that is typically an issue when moms milk production is overly abundant and/or baby is nursing low frequency. In most cases, a baby whose mom has over production gains faster than average, not slower. And nursing 8 times a day does not sound like low frequency in a 6 month old. Do you feel very full prior to nursing or pumping?

No, he had no bottles and I didn't pump for the whole week of vacation. He's home with my husband while I work, my shifts are 9pm-9am so he's asleep for most of the time and just gets up once to eat and then has a bottle in the morning, I nurse him right before I leave and he always wants to nurse as soon as I get home. My husband is great with him so my baby never has any issues with the separation while I'm gone. He's a happy baby in general and never very fussy. He does take a pacifier. I wash all of his bottles so in pretty sure they're well rinsed and clean. He did start getting pumped milk shortly before I cut dairy. His doctor was concerned about his weight and the mucus but told me he was allergic to my milk and sent me home with formula. I thought that was something very rare so I brought him to another doctor who said his weight is ok and said to go ahead and keep nursing. He was 8lbs 11 oz at birth and 14 lbs 15 oz on Monday of this week, he'll be 6 months old on Sunday. I had kind of made peace with the fact that the mucus just is what it is and maybe he's just a small baby but then when he had normal looking poop for the first time since August, it made me think that there is still some issue that could be fixed if I could just pinpoint it.

The bottles while you are at work, is it usually the pumped milk from the day before? Or is it from the frozen stash?

What happens if you break it up into smaller bottles, like 4-5, 3 oz bottles or 3-4, 4 oz bottles?

It might mean hubby has to wake up an extra time at night but really big bottles being given in a NOT paced feeding technique might mean baby is overeating at a single feeding but perhaps not eating enough overall during the separation??? Especially if using a pacifier to sleep.

Ok so doctor is ok with baby's weight gain, and I see nothing very troubling in those birth vs. now numbers-yes overall gain is a little slow, but since babies usually lose some weight post birth, then gain very differently (faster, typically) in months 0-3 than they do months 3-6, (and slower again after about 6 months) those weights are still not enough info to pinpoint if or especially when there was/is a serious gain issue. In other words, maybe baby gained slowly at first but is now gaining normally?

What might cause this issue of poops look when you are working vs. when not? I can think of 2 things. 1, the bottle baby gets during your shift is too much at once, and more frequent smaller bottles overnight makes more sense, and/or 2) you have lots of milk in your breasts in the morning that has been building up overnight (at work) and baby nurses lots then, getting lots of foremilk.
    Now, is this a health issue, even if it is happening? Not if baby is otherwise healthy and gaining ok at this point. But if you want to test the theory, maybe try pumping more often during and/or closer to the end of your shift.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 14th, 2014 at 02:33 PM.