Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 month old nurses a million times a day

Default Re: 13 month old nurses a million times a day

I'm a low storage capacity mom with a toddler who loves nursing, and was seriously the most frequent nurser of any child I'd ever heard of, online, in real life, or otherwise. During the first year, it was a "long" stretch for us if we actually made it an hour without nursing. (Um, during waking hours, that was a "long" stretch even into her second year!)

My daughter is 2 and we still nurse with essentially no limits. I do work outside of the home, and stopped pumping at work at 23 months, so my daughter does go up to 9-10 hours without nursing when I am at work. But when we are together, her waking nursing frequency is still very high. At this stage in the game, she does a lot of the quick "check in" nursings, so I can't really even begin to count the number of actual sessions if we are including all of that. It's a lot.

Anyway, I did absolutely nothing to change nighttime, sleep, or nursing frequency. And I can tell you that she dropped the nighttime frequency pretty dramatically some time after 15-16 months. I don't track or count nursing sessions, because it's good for my own sleep not to do so, but I'd guess that at this point the average overnight is something like 1-3 sessions, down from easily 12-15 with the frequent all night latchathon at 13 months. I absolutely nursed through every second of her naps at 13 months, too. We still occasionally nurse through chunks of her nap now. I am not at all concerned or worried about it, and I stopped framing nap time as "getting stuff done" time in my head ages and ages ago. But the majority of the time, even if nursing down for nap with me on the weekends, she still pops off and sleeps with me next to her, rather than not popping off and sleeping on top of me.

I'd also point out that it's very possible that meeting with that mom in the store may not have been all it was cracked up to be--I personally made it a point during the first year to almost NEVER complain about sleep, and always tried to appear well rested and chipper to folks I wasn't particularly close to, because I was seriously sick to death of hearing people advocate for crying it out. It just wasn't a conversation I was even interested in letting people TRY to have with me at that point in time.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*munchmama View Post
    Im sorry ruchiccio, that must be so hard... I am not familiar with the abbreviation HPTs? Preg test? I had somewhat of a similar experience (just read your blog post about it) and thought I felt some changes and saw a faint line 5 or so min after and next test was negative... I always thought pos was pos...
    I agree about when the babies are having a rough time with a cold or in pain- it's so good to be able to soothe them with nursing!
    Thank you for that! Actually, what's weird is that today I did get a positive on my test (HPT means a Home Pregnancy Test, versus a test by the doctor) so I called up my ob/gyn team and got a blood test done today to see what's going on. I think some of my tests must have been defective, although I don't see how. But whatever. So now I'm all confused. Sorry for your loss though.

@sonogirl: how on earth did you ever get out of the house with your baby nursing so often!? I marvel at that. I would have loved to nurse all day, every minute, but I work a full day plus I'm the type who needs to go out of the house a lot (hate staying home all day!). I still nurse my almost 14-month old 6 times or so in 24 hours and people look at me as if I'm insane. I also keep quiet about it unless provoked because otherwise I'll just get stares and comments and I'm totally not interested.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Well, the first 10 months were hard for getting out. Not because of the nursing, but because she was a car seat hater, and I wasn't personally willing to have her screaming just to go places. Once she grew out of the car seat hating, we just went about our business as normal. I am not personally uncomfortable nursing in public, so when she needed to nurse, we nursed. As she's gotten older, she has sort of naturally lost interest in nursing out in public. Probably because at some point, she got too big for me to just hold and walk around with while latched, and she was old enough to understand "okay, we can nurse, Mommy just needs to find a place to sit." The hassle of finding places to sit while out and about probably sort of naturally encouraged her to save the most demanding stretches for when we were at home.

I've been back to work full time since she was 5 months old. When together, we probably nursed every 30-45 minutes at that age. While at work, my mom just gave her multiple very, very small bottles. It all worked out pretty well!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    I'm a low storage capacity mom with a toddler who loves nursing, and was seriously the most frequent nurser of any child I'd ever heard of, online, in real life, or otherwise. During the first year, it was a "long" stretch for us if we actually made it an hour without nursing.
    Sonogirl, this sounds about right. Let me tell you, it's SO encouraging to hear I'm not the only one! I really think she'd be latched just about all day if I'd let her. And because I'm mostly a SAHM, it's all flippin day, every day. Well, when I think about it, there are some two hour stretches with no nursing. So it only *feels* like all day.

My inclination is to do nothing and ride this out. But sometimes I feel like I've created a monster. And tonight she was biting ugh. When even my nursed-her-babies-until-kindergarten mom says "she sure nurses a lot," I know it's on the far end of the spectrum.

Sometimes I think about how mothering a baby who sleeps "well" or nursing when one has a large capacity must just be completely different experiences from the one I'm having. I mean, it's not even the same task! It's a completely different thing (I'm sure challenging in it's own way, but...).

Sonogirl, I'm taking your timeline as gospel (even though, of course you did not offer it as such). 15-16 months. Just hold out until 15-16 months...
    .... . . . . . . . . . . .
    Mom to baby born 11/18/13

I hope that timeline is in your future, too! FWIW, we still have rough nights and weeks even at age 2--our nighttime frequency has been on the upswing for the last couple of weeks, because she was sick last week (that always means a ton of overnight nursing for us!), and two of her 2-year molars just started poking through at the tail end of last week, as well. But I know it'll go back down again once this all settles down; I've lived it enough over the last two years to really BELIEVE in it, now.