Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to measure between feedings?

Default How to measure between feedings?

Do you measure if from start to start? As if you start feeding at 2pm you will at least need to feed again by 4pm or 5pm (every 2-3 hours)

Or it best just to count the number of times the babies feeds during the day and see how many diapers need to be changed?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: How to measure between feedings?

Feeding time is measured from start to start (just like contractions )

Best to not focus on the clock but total # of feedings in a day as well as the output of numbers of wet & poopy diapers.

I don't have the links at my fingertips, but know there are several excellent articles on figuring out if your LO is getting enough based on diapers on both the LLL resources section and kellymom.com

Ah ha! Here's some resources:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Lynn

nywifey - my son's due date was 1/24/06. He decided to be born on 1/12/06. Sorry, off-topic.

You will know that you're baby's getting enough by counting wet diapers. You would expect 5-6 wet disposables or 6-8 wet cloth diapers in a day. Your baby will also let you know when it's feeding time.

The biggest mistake I made in the hospital and in the first week was WATCHING THE CLOCK!

I was so concerned about how long it had been, how long he was nursing...it consumed me....writing down everything, diapers, feeding time, length, etc.

I remember in the hospital I was so proud because I had him latched and he had BF for 20 minutes and was still eating and the nurse came in and was like "how long has he been eating?" I said "20 minutes" and she was like, "he is finished and just using you as a pacifier now. You never need to feed more than 20 minutes" So I unlatched him and made him stop. I still regret that....it makes me sad that I listened to that nurse. That was my new baby that wanted his mama and I took it away. That was the worst advice I listened to.

I know I have posted this before, but LO was put in the hospital at 2 weeks and they made me chart EVERYTHING! I also had to weigh every diaper and write down what time I changed him, fed him, etc. Talk about stressful....plus he had to have an IV of antibiotics every 3 hours for 30 minutes, get vitals every 3 hours, etc. When we were released from the hospital (in there 3.5 very long days)....I decided to just listen to my baby and stop looking at the clock....that experience was not cool. KWIM? CLocks don't decide how long your LO should eat or how much time should pass by inbetween. Know the signs of hunger (rooting, drawing fist to mouth, etc.) and feed your LO. If he is not making those signals after 2-3 hours have passed since your last feeding...offer him the breast. You don't really want to go longer than 2-3 hours max between feedings in the beginning. Some babies are sleepy and my eat for 3 minutes and then doze for 20 eat for 3. Others will be a wolf for 7 minutes and thats it. Anyhoo, sorry for the long post.

Best to not focus on the clock but total # of feedings in a day as well as the output of numbers of wet & poopy diapers.

Exactly. Feed the baby on demand and don't worry about how much time there is or isn't between nursing sessions. Baby should be going to the breast AT LEAST 8-12 times per 24 hours and for many babies, they go to the breast even more frequently.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

All excellent advice, ladies!

Oh, Kristin .... I know how you feel about the wishing you wouldn't have taken that nurses advice. My heart breaks thinking back when a bad LC told me to hold my baby's head when she tried to pull back nursing (later found out that she was trying to get away from the OALD). I only did it once and then actually cried because it felt so wrong to do that to my baby. Number one lesson as a new mom - Listen to your mama instincts and trust them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    for many babies, they go to the breast even more frequently.
    Yep ... we were nursing around 18-20 times a day those first few weeks. And sometimes she'd only nurse for 5 minutes at a time before falling asleep. All totally normal.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; December 2nd, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by jentut View Post
    Your baby will also let you know when it's feeding time.

I remember thinking that crying was the only way that my lo would be able to tell me he was hungry. Then my mom (a former leader) reminded me that babies give the crying signal as a last resort. Babies show they are hungry by "rooting"- turning their head and mouthing as if they were on the breast...

Sorry, I know that has not much to do with op, but I thought it would be helpful to a new mom!

As far as the original question, the pp's have said what I would say!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Then my mom (a former leader) reminded me that babies give the crying signal as a last resort. Babies show they are hungry by "rooting"- turning their head and mouthing as if they were on the breast...

Sorry, I know that has not much to do with op, but I thought it would be helpful to a new mom!
    It's an excellent point though! Some new mothers aren't aware of what exactly the feeding cues are. Many mothers find if they wait until their baby cries to be fed that they have trouble settling the baby and getting the baby to latch on.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html
    you can watch some clips babies on this web site, if you've never been around a new born that might help you figure out when they want to eat.

The basic guidelines are that your baby should eat at least 8-12x per 24-hour period, as mentioned above by others, but some babies want to nurse much, much more. It's especially important to let them nurse whenever they want in the beginning, because this is the time that your body is learning how much to produce for your baby's specific needs. (I screwed this one up by pumping as well as nursing, and ended up with oversupply- ouch).

Even if your baby doesn't seem to be eating much, nurses for only a few minutes at a time, etc, you can be sure that the LO is getting eough by counting diaper output, also as mentioned previously. The babe should make at least 2-3 poopy diapers and 5-6 wet disposables in a 24-hour period. This "rule" is what made me confident in our nursing schedule, as well as cutting out the supplementing formula the hospital told me to use and just exclusively BFing. Valuable info, learned thanks to the ladies here.

Good luck!