Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing advice for a 9 weekoldthat has a high palateliptie

Default Nursing advice for a 9 weekoldthat has a high palateliptie

Any advice on nursing positions or advice for a baby with a high palate and lip tie? Thankfully my nipples are not sore but at about 7 weeks I noticed that sometimes after nursing he would start kicking his feet, get red in the face and scream in pain and pull off the breast, although it seemed like he still wanted to nurse. I would try and burp him and sometimes would get a burp out but other times not. He also started making a smacking noise when he nursed. Initially it was during the let down but now it occurs all the time. I also noticed he doesn't have a deep latch no matter how much of my boob I try and shove in there. He also doesn't open his mouth wide. I talked to a LC who said that it sounds like he is getting air while nursing because of his high palate and causing the gas issues and that I might have an oversupply and to consider block feeding. I was curious if anyone else has been thru this and has suggestions. I was also curious if as he grows will he grow into his palate? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am struggling because I loved nursing my daughter and did for 20 months until she self weaned and I hate seeing him in pain but not sure what to do. Thanks.

Default Re: Nursing advice for a 9 weekoldthat has a high palatelipt

I wouldn't do block feeding unless you are absolutely certain you have a massive oversupply problem (as in fire hose spray letdown and baby gaining 1 lb or more per week and you are getting painfully engorged between frequent feedings.) Block feeding reduces your milk supply and can sometimes be too effective. If you think you need to block feed, hopefully some one who has the links to the do's and don'ts of block feeding will share them with you.

If you do have a powerful letdown that is making baby cough/choke, then unlatch baby and let that spray go into a towel till it calms down then latch baby back on, this can often help the problem and avoid taking steps that could hurt your supply. Nursing more frequently can help with OALD and it can also probably help with baby having gas issues.

Anyway, my son had a lip tie and posterior tongue tie which we got corrected at 8 weeks, his pallet was a bit high but not outrageously so. We did need to get some oral motor therapy for him after the tongue and lip tie corrections since they didn't fix his milk transfer problem on their own since he was older when they were done.

Have you tried leaning back nursing positions that allow your son to be more upright and with head a bit above breast and tummy? This can help him deal with the flow a bit better as well as making it easier for gas bubbles to make their way up naturally on their own without necessarily having to change positions for a burp.

My son has always liked to have a lot of control over latching and position so letting him sit facing me on my lap straddling one thigh or the other so he can lean over to the other breast often works well for us (I'm not overly busty so this seems to be a handy way to do it.)

I'm not sure how much a baby will outgrow a high pallet but nursing does normally tend to get better/easier as baby grows as long as you remember to double check and adjust latch/nursing positions as baby grows (what works for a newborn can sometimes cramp a larger baby so make sure their position allows them to nurse comfortably, watch out for tucked chins etc.)
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; December 3rd, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Default Re: Nursing advice for a 9 weekoldthat has a high palatelipt

with Tclynx.

What symptoms of high supply do you have?