Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to try nursing again...

Default I want to try nursing again...

So, I am currently an EPer of a 3 month old. When she was born she was a great nurser. We had a little trouble when my milk actually came in and she would just kind of bob her head at my breasts (I think I have a fast let down). I was then really paranoid about whether she was getting enough and so I decided to switch to EPing. Well, here I am 3 months later and I miss nursing! How do I go about weaning her off the bottle and back to the breast?

Default Re: I want to try nursing again...

Kellymom has a great back to breast article. I'll try and link it in a mo!

The great news is Eping means you have milk to try with! Take it slow and just offer the breast and see what happens!

Are bottles given in a paced manner? This will help the transition, and is worth starting if you don't already.

An IBCLC can help with latch issues, if you are US based I think this is often covered on insurance(?).

I'm sure others will have some good/better advice too!

Here is a link that might help you find an IBCLC
    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3901

Will baby latch on at all, have you tried to nurse directly lately? It will take patience since babies learn to nurse by nursing and bottle nipples are definitely different.

This probably isn't an issue for you, but I thought I'd offer some encouragement. I had anxiety about giving my baby my breast after having to basically exclusively pumping for my baby for a bit. The biggest thing that helped transitioning from bottle to breast for me was just me relaxing and "going with the flow." I was so stressed my baby wouldn't take the breast after having the bottle, so this helped tremendously. I had a different situation, but just wanted to offer some encouragement. There was an adjustment period, but I love what a previous poster said about having patience. My little one wanted the milk fast, so there was a bit of an adjustment going from the fast flow of the bottle to the breast, but it all worked out. Good luck! . Cheering for you guys!