Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6weeks old - too late to BF?

Default Re: 6weeks old - too late to BF?

Baby will get a plug out better than a pump! Just let baby nurse and finish off with the pump

But at night he will sleep longer than 3 hours and I'm afraid that will worsen the plugged duct. Will try to offer breasts again in the morning.

Rant: I wish someone at the hospital told me the consequences of introducing bottles in the first week. I was too tired and worried about his hunger that I wasn't thinking straight. With this sudden plugged duct I feel like we are few steps back to have him breastfeed. Every night I wish we could nurse lying down so that I can get some rest.
    He's Still not very good at draining my breasts so he can't really help up clear the duct but I still let him nibble on it.
    He's turning 2 months next weekend and we are still struggling with feeding. My friend said after her first month her baby was good at sucking so feeding time was getting shorter. So jealous!

Jealous!

My baby had such bad weight loss she was on IV fluids, we 'had' to do a bottle in the early days - tho I wish I knew thrn what I know now about cup feeding and SNS's. We had a rough 4 months before DD latched and fed well, I had times of frustration, envy etc too. It does get better week by week even if sometimes on a day to day basis there are set backs.

You are doing a great with persevering and you are making progress!

I had a rough time early on too.
    I was on the nurse/supplement, pump treadmill for months (tongue tie/lip tie, needing physical therapy for him and then needing to fix my milk supply after all that because pumping didn't really work for me...........)
    I was so disappointed when six weeks came and went and still things were not good (TT and LT not corrected till 8 weeks.)

It does get better but when things get off to a rough start it is HARD and you may feel like you have been robbed of months of your life because of bad advice from health care professionals that tell you to give formula and bottles.

We mostly used the Medela SNS for supplementing right at the breast but it was still hard when nursing could take an hour and then I still had to pump and then pretty much start again in 30 minutes.

Take heart that you can get through this, things do get better. AND when things get better you will appreciate it that much more! You are doing amazing things. It won't suddenly be better in a day or a week, it will happen very gradually, hang in there and keep it up, don't let the setbacks get you too down. They happen to everyone.