Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down pumping session at 8 months too soon?

Default Re: Cutting down pumping session at 8 months too soon?

Doc wasn't too specific; gave me this handout. I figured baby can get more calories from yogurt than puree anyway. I still provide breastmilk 5+ times daily. I couldn't find any plain YoBaby; all the choices have some kind of fruit flavors.

baby_feeding.jpg

Hmm, so I'm a little confused as to why you feel ok about yogurt when the handout says no milk which is all yogurt is...?

If you choose to give yogurt, it doesn't need to be "baby" specific (i.e. YoBaby). There's nothing special about that stuff, it's just a marketing gimmick. Just buy some plain, whole milk yogurt.

That being said, I personally would caution against using too much yogurt before 12 months. It really doesn't have all of the nutrients baby needs right now.

Well, puree and yogurt are both "solids", so I was thinking it's okay to replace a puree with yogurt. Just once a day should not make any difference since baby still getting main nutrients from breastmilk. But asking the pediatrician is a good idea, will do.

I asked pediatrician. She says 4oz baby yogurt once a day is okay. In fact, she wants me to start the 3rd daily solids and eliminate night feeding to avoid cavities.

Personally we don't use 'baby' yogurt as the stuff here in the UK has a lot of sugar which is way worse than any amount of night feedings. One brand in particular has half a babies recommended sugar intake in a single serving. Instead we use full fat natural yogurt and add fresh/frozen (defrosted) or stewed fruit. Or leave it plain

I wouldn't agree over night weaning unless the paed can back it up with some kind of evidence. But equally if you want to night wean that's your choice Please be aware night weaning can affect supply and will reduce the amount of bm your child is taking. I would while bm is your child's main source of nutrition not night wean until at least one.

I just looked at your pediatrician's chart. 3-5 feedings per day of breastmilk (ie nursing 3-5 times/day) in almost all moms is sure to lead to a big decrease in supply and baby not getting enough milk. The reason is that the amount baby gets at the breast is the same, ie somewhere between 2 and 4 oz, usually. As a previous poster said, breastmilk is the main nutrition before a year old so baby will continue to drink somewhere between about 20 and 30 oz per 24 hours (mean 24 oz), which means usually at least 8 feedings per 24 hours, often more. This is in contrast to a formula-fed baby who will often get bigger bottles as time goes on, and therefore can have fewer bottles over the course of 24 hours. For example, a formula-fed baby might drink 8 oz in one sitting, and therefore would only need 3 bottles in the day.

There are some moms out there who have a large storage capacity and can therefore get by with 5 or 6 sessions a day of emptying the breast either through nursing, the pump or some combination. However, the fact that you pump 4 oz at a time suggests that you have a fairly average storage capacity, and if you cut out nighttime nursing AND decrease your pumping frequency, you risk seeing a big drop in supply. If you are going to drop a pumping session at work, if anything you should try to adding in a nursing session during non-work hours. This link gives more information about the relationship between storage capacity and how often mom must nurse/pump in order to maintain supply: http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/ch...number2011.pdf

The idea of nighttime nursing leading to cavities is another false comparison to formula-fed babies. Having a bottle in the mouth can lead to cavities because the bottle nipple just sitting there leads the milk to pool, and that can lead to cavities. In comparison, nursing does not lead the milk pooling and therefore does not have the same effect. Here's more information on that point. http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to give up night feedings. Solids aside, my baby still get breastmilk 5-6 times daily. I think she gets more like 5oz when she latches on directly, especially at night. So, I'm not worried about her milk intake.

I have the hardest time finding plain yogurt of any kind, let alone whole milk. Where do I get it in Giant? The "plainest" I see is vanilla flavor! Please don't tell me to go hunt for it at hippie stores, I simply don't have time.

I'm in the UK but we have natural yogurt and Greek yogurt in every food store. I'm hoping an American can help you out!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Where do I get it in Giant?"

I'm in the US and am able to find plain yogurt at QFC and Safeway and, of course, Whole Foods. I do, though, live in kind of "hippie" city on the west coast, so maybe that's why.

I can only ever find it in the larger containers, though. So if you're looking for it in the small/single serving sizes you probably won't see it there.

This is what I buy: http://www.greekgodsyogurt.com/24oz-products/plain/

I don't buy it online, I just wanted to give you a visual.

Is giant a huge grocery store? I'm sure they have plain yogurt lol its gonna be with all the other yogurt...
    Ryder James 1/21/13