Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down pumping session at 8 months too soon?

Question Cutting down pumping session at 8 months too soon?

There will be an influx of new moms at my work place after the holidays. I am worried that I'm hogging the only dedicated room we have at work for pumping, so I am thinking to reduce pumping from three times to two. But I read that reducing pumping session will also reduce milk supply. Baby will be 8 months when I plan to do it. Is that too soon?

Default Re: Cutting down pumping session at 8 months too soon?

I have been thinking the same thing but I warn against doing it unless you're feeling like your supply is more than what you need. My LO is 5 months old. I generally pump too much milk, and my freezer is getting overstocked. But after having trouble last time, I decided I'd rather err on the side of caution until about 9 months -- too much milk is better than not enough when it comes to stress levels. Many moms have a pump slump around then. So my take on it for now is that if I have a really hard time pumping some days (like back-to-back meetings) and can only do 2, I won't get stressed about it. But if I can do 3 most days, I'm going to stick with it. Plus I pump in the car on the way to work, so 4 times in about 9.5-10 hours. I don't remember when I cut sessions last time, but I feel like it was somewhere in the 6 to 9-month range. But I kept pumping at least 1x a day until DD was about 18 months old because she drank the milk in a cup.

I think you and the moms can work something out. When there was one other mom pumping here we just had an open-door policy for the room (we'd just have to get up to unlock it for each other if that happened) and if someone else had to come pump at the same time it was okay. We never had that happen, but there were only 2 of us!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I wish I remember how I did it with the first one, but I don't remember anything!!! I think I also decreased a session around 8 months. Now, I am thinking maybe I can replace a bottle for daycare at 8 months with 4 oz of YoBaby (it claims to have 100 calories). Baby did well consuming 2oz at one go in a test run, so I think 4oz by 8 months is doable.

My baby is almost 8 months and I dropped a session around 6 months. I have to pump for a little longer, but as long as I totally empty my breasts 1) my supply hasn't decreased, and 2) my output hasn't decreased. I also try to sneak in some extra nursing on the weekends to boost my supply, which I think has helped too. I know some people can't drop a session, but I have been able to do it successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boogabbalucky View Post
    I dropped a session around 6 months.
    Do you just bring 2 bottles to daycare then? Or do you split the two session supply into 3 bottles? I am worried that baby will starve if I give her 2 bottles instead of 3.

I also dropped a session around 6mo. I pump the same amount with just two sessions (8am and 4 or 5pm). I pump 18-24oz a day. I work four days a week and breastfeed when I'm at home.
    Mommy to Sam (6yrs), Micah (4yrs), and Caius (11mo).
    Breastfeeding my littlest by night and pumping by day.

I do not think it is your problem, or more to the point, your baby's problem, that your employer doesn't have adequate facilities for employees who are pumping.

You certainly should not stop pumping your baby's food, or even pump less because your employer does not have adequate accommodations. Share the room, think of creative solutions to create more pumping space and bring these up to your employer, or work out a pumping schedule with the other moms if they are shy to share the pumping room. If you personally want to cut out a pumping session of your own volition, that is another story.
    Last edited by @llli*greatestjoy; January 6th, 2015 at 11:10 PM.

Personally, it's a combination between giving other new moms at work a chance and desire to free up more work time. 8-month-old is responding well with 2 bottles and 1 yogurt at daycare. So I think this is working out for me.

Also, I still only pump 4 oz per session, so I cannot make 3 bottles out of 2 sessions like some other moms.

Have you talked to your pediatrician about supplementing with yogurt? I believe that formula or breastmilk should make up the majority of baby's diet until age 1.

If you choose to continue with yogurt, I hope it is plain. Most, if not all, flavored yogurts have a lot sugar. It's often the second ingredient. I can't imagine that would be good for baby.