Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby reacting badly to breast milk

Default Baby reacting badly to breast milk

My second daughter is 6 weeks old today. When she was 3 weeks old she starting having a bad reaction to my milk and was only gaining about half the weight she souls have been. She was crying all the time for no reason. Her poop was frequent and she cried whenever she had a BM. Also her little rectum would pop out like a donut. At her one month her pediatrician and I agreed to try Alimentum (formula) to see if that would help. After a week on it, she finally gained weight and became a happy normal newborn.

Now I would love to go back to breastfeeding even if it's once or twice a day. I've been pumping to keep up my supply. But when I try to feed my daughter and she actually gets some of my milk in her she ends up crying inconsolably a couple hours later.

I've eliminated all allergies from my diet except coconut, corn, and a few seeds. My first daughter is allergic to dairy, so I got rid of that 2 weeks before I gave birth. I'm literally eating rice and chicken at every meal. (On the plus side I'm below my prepregnancy weight.)

I've tried making sure to pump before feeding her so she gets hind milk, tried formula breast milk combo. I've even tried a bottle of expressed milk.

Also, my daughter is on Prevacid for reflux. I think I just want to know should I give up and just go with formula or should I wait a month and try again. The pumping to keep up my supply is getting in the way of parenting my other daughter well. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    (Sorry for the long post.)

Default Re: Baby reacting badly to breast milk

It really doesn't work well to be cutting out all possible allergens at once because as you notice, you can't really live well on rice alone.

So did ALL of your Daughters symptoms go away completely on the formula? What are the ingredients of that formula? Which allergies it is designed to avoid?

Don't go worrying about the formilk/hindmilk thing, pumping before feeding is probably not helping anything if she is still having symptoms even when you do that and if the pumping before feeding seems to help the symptoms then the pumping before feeding could be making an over supply/OALD situation worse.

If this were my baby, I would want her to have some breastmilk in her diet, and to at least try a few weeks of a 100% breastmilk diet. Single "here and there" trials with nursing and breastmilk bottles don't really tell you much about whether or not your child can thrive on an all-breastmilk diet.

Clearly something was off at 3 weeks, but I don't think you have enough data to say what it was. Frequent poops and extreme fussiness are normal for newborns. What's not normal is a baby not gaining weight- but based on the data provided we don't know what was causing the baby's failure to gain. In most cases, it's going to be insufficient milk intake or measurement error and not a reaction to something in your milk.

Can you see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC?