Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control while BFing

Default Birth Control while BFing

Hi everyone...

I have a 5 wk old son, and I will be going to my 6wk check up next week...I am wondering what are my options about birth control. I originally wanted an IUD, but my dr says that he does not place them for ethical as well as health concerns. He will prescribe the mini-pill however. Does anyone have any experiences with the minipill? Good bad otherwise? What are some of the brand names of the minipill that I can look up? Thanks!

Default Re: Birth Control while BFing

My doctor just put me on the mini pill (brand, Jolivette), and I have been taking it for the past 3 days. I originally wanted the IUD also, but decided against it after having a c-section and all the problems that come from the recovery process. So far so good with the mini pill, though it's really early days yet. Good on you for doing the research and finding out more about it! My Dr. said that the mini pill is great for nursing mothers, as it has a fairly weak impact on mother's hormone levels and does not affect breast feeding much. Some of the stronger birth control methods, like the IUD can change hormone levels affecting you and your baby (I'm not sure how, I'm just repeating what my Dr. said). Her recommendation was that the mini-pill is great for the first couple of months, until baby starts to drink less and foods are introduced, then you will need to switch to something stronger.

I chose the mini-pill fora variety of reasons. I've been on it for a full month now, and had no problems. Granted, I did get my period twice in that time, but there are so many factors affecting menstruation after childbirth, that I'm not even worried about it. They lasted a normal amount of time (5 days) and tapered off properly. If it happens again so soon, I'll call my doc. I'm on Camilla (I think that's the name).

Now... here are the rules. You MUST take it every day at the same time. I set an alarm on my phone. It's only effective for 24 hours at a time, and it's most effect from 5 hours after taking it to 22 hours after taking it. If you miss a pill, take it and then the next one on schedule (like regular Pills), but use a backup BC method for 48 hours. This pill works by (IIRC) thickening your cervix so that sperm cannot get through.

I wasn't told how long to take it, and my prescription is for a year. I am guessing that once I wean my son (which I'm hoping won't be for at LEAST 15 more months), I can switch to something stronger. However, I plan on getting pregnant again around then, too, so I don't think it will matter. Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. I just got a refill and have all the info at home, so I can look stuff up. And believe me, I read it thoroughly before I started taking it.

Oh, that's another thing... you can start taking it at any point. You don't have to wait for your first period.

http://www.llli.org/ba/Aug93.html
    heres a link to check out..
    my hubby uses condoms, no hormones and cheap.

I'm on the mini pill (brand = Camilla). I've had no problems with it. Started it 6 wks PP and DS is now 8 mos.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by kellyandlittleguy@gmail.c View Post
    Hi everyone...

I have a 5 wk old son, and I will be going to my 6wk check up next week...I am wondering what are my options about birth control. I originally wanted an IUD, but my dr says that he does not place them for ethical as well as health concerns. He will prescribe the mini-pill however. Does anyone have any experiences with the minipill? Good bad otherwise? What are some of the brand names of the minipill that I can look up? Thanks!
    Just curious as to what ethical concerns come about with use of an IUD? I use condoms for now - i am 6 weeks, 2 days PP.

From my understanding an IUD just doesn't allow an already fertilized egg to implant in the uterus, rather than preventing ovulation.
    As far as your choices go-what I've read about hormonal birth control is that there is a chance with combination hormonal medications that your milk supply can decrease. The mini pill and depo shot are supposed to have less side effects with the milk production but can cause more weight gain.
    I myself was on Nuva Ring, it's a combination med. and I didn't really notice any difference in my supply, but I did have a lot of breakthrough bleeding that stopped when I quit taking it. The pros-you only have to worry with it once a month instead of every day. Your OB should be able to give you lots of info regarding choosing whatever is right for you.

Using the mini pill (too lazy to get up and go get it to tell the brand), my DD is 14 months old and have had no problems with it (been using it since 8 weeks pp).

We use condoms. I absolutely cannot remember to take a pill as regularly as the mini pill requires. I had been using nuvaring for about 3 years prior to getting pregnant because I couldn't remember to take birth control pills on time. My doc couldn't guarantee it wouldn't mess with my supply if I used the ring again, so we went with the only other choice!

I didn't take the mini-pill for more than a week after my first was born. It just didn't feel right to me to be taking hormones while bf.
    Have you checked into Natural Family Planning (NFP)? We have done NFP since our first child was born. Checking your cervical mucus is the main method I use. You can also check your cervix internally and/or check your daily temp with a basal thermometer. There are lots of good books out there. The Art of Natural Family Planning is excellent and has good info. on getting started while post partum. The book is put out by the Couple to Couple League, which is a Catholic organization. The book is not about religion though, it's about NFP.
    Good luck mama!