Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Understanding baby

Default Understanding baby

How do I tell if my newborn is hungry, tired or just need comfort? Whenever he cry, we will check his diaper first. Then check if he's hungry. He will always open his mouth wide. Try to offer him a pacifier to see if he just wan to suck for comfort but he will reject the pacifier and start screaming. So I will latch him. But he only latch for maybe 2-3 min and reject. Half an hour later the same thing happen. So I will latch and he will fall asleep. Is he really hungry? My baby is turning 2 month on 21.

Default Re: Understanding baby

Deciphering them can be so tricky. I think a helpful thing to remember, is that nursing is about so much more than food for baby. It is about comfort, closeness, pain relief, communication, etc. So it may help to ease some of the stress on you to know that, to some extent, when your little one fusses or cries, nursing might be the best answer for a lot of what could be causing that fussing. If you are able to, I would recommend always offering to nurse before offering the pacifier, if you are going to use a pacifier. There are of course times when this couldn't be possible (for example, when driving, or if the stuff on the stove might burn-- there are situations like thae that you may decide a pacifier is a workable short term solution). The reason I suggest this is that even if it's for a short period of time, clearly your baby is wanting that comfort (otherwise babe wouldn't nurse at all), but it's also good for supply, good for continued good weight gain, good for many reasons.

Well nursing usually solves all three issues. My former LLL leader said offer to nurse whenever they blink at this age. No matter what the fear mongers tell you, this is not a bad thing. Overuse of pacifiers can lead to poor growth as it stimulates the hormone that tells baby he is full with out ever getting nourishment. I agree they have a place but frequent nursing at this age is the norm. Babies came from a quiet, dark, enclosed, world where they were fed non stop. They are brought into a loud, bright, cold, world and to top it off they need to figure out this eating thing. Also, breastmilk digests in just 60-90 minutes so frequent nursing is normal. They are also trying to double their birth weight in just a few months. That requires a lot of nutrition but skews around 4 months. Some babies are very fast eaters and this is common in moms with oversupply. Do you feel that could be the case?

I agree that go ahead and nurse (even if it has only been a little while since baby last nursed.) Check diaper and make sure temperature is good but otherwise nursing is a perfect go to tool for mothering and constant nursing is good for baby and your supply.

Test out some baby carriers to see if any suite you since newborns hate to be put down normally.

One reason it is hard to figure out what a newborn needs is that sometimes the baby doesn't know what he needs. His body is so new to him that even he doesn't understand why he's uncomfortable or how to fix the feeling he's having.

Instead of trying nursing last, try nursing before checking his diaper or offering the pacifier. Sometimes a hungry baby will get so upset and frantic that he cannot be soothed and will not latch. If you latch him on before he gets to the frantic stage, he's more likely to stay at the breast and nurse calmly.

Congratulations! I agree with pp. No particular reason to interpret dear baby's signals with so much specificity. Hold baby lots, and offer to nurse whenever there is any indication baby wishes to and also whenever YOU wish to. Newborns are fussy for a reason, and that reason is so that they will be held lots and nursed lots, both of which are only good for them. And often, even when you are doing this, they still fuss!

“The newborn has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breatfeeding satisfies all three.”
    ― Grantly Dick-Read