Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too much foremilk

Default too much foremilk

I think my DD may be filling up on foremilk. I noticed when I pump I get about 3 ounces of clear milk before the more white milk kicks in. It took her 7 days to finally have a bowel movement this last time. Could that be related to the foremilk? Is there anything I should do to increase my DD's intake of hindmilk, or should I not worry about it?

Default Re: too much foremilk

I started feeding my lo on one breast/feeding. If she gets hungry again within 2 hours I put her back on the same breast. Then I do the next breast for the next feeding. It has thrown any schedule we might have had out of whack, but she is much less fussy and gassy. She had been inconsolably fussy starting about 45 min after meals until I would finally feed her again 2 hours later (I was 'watching the clock and not the baby'). Now she is soooo much happier. But you should get confirmation from others before you change what you're doing, I'm definitely no expert.

Do you or dd have any other symptoms that concern you?

As babies get older the time between bowel movements can stretch out. For some it can be days or a week or more. This is normal as long as baby is growing well.

Was the bowel movement a large one?

The bowel movement wasn't large, but she did have another the next day. She hasn't had any other symptoms, other than an increase in flatulence. But she seems comfortable.

So, just to make sure I understand, is your main concern at this point the length of time between her BMs? If so, just so you know, there is no link between that and amount of foremilk/hindmilk! If dd is growing and otherwise healthy, probably no reason to be concerned!

Have you asked your ped? Is so, what was her/his response?

Thanks for your help. My main concern is the length of time between her BMs. I know I shouldn't worry so much because it is normal for breastfed babies to go a few days between BMs, I just get nervous when it has been 5 or even 7 days and she still hasn't pooped. That is why I thought maybe the foremilk had something to do with it. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to help my dd's frequency of BMs?