Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply AFTER the weekend with no pumping

Default Low Supply AFTER the weekend with no pumping

When I was working full time and pumping for my son a few years ago, I used the weekends to increase my supply by nursing frequently all weekend long. Usually my pumping output would be highest on Monday and Tuesday then kind of trickle back down by Friday. I am finding the opposite to be true right now with my daughter. For the past three weeks by breasts have felt emptiest on Sunday afternoon/evening then I have trouble pumping enough on Monday and Tuesday, but my pumping output goes up as the week goes on.

I send about 12-14 ounces in three bottles for 10 hours we are apart, so I don't think they are over feeding her. Over the weekends she probably nurses around 8 or 9 times in a 24 hour period. I am confused. This is the opposite of what should be happening, right?
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Default Re: Low Supply AFTER the weekend with no pumping

Can you get her to nurse more frequently on the weekend? Some babies are just not demanding enough and you need to offer to nurse more.

It sounds as if your baby gets enough to eat when nursing, so there is nothing really wrong with your production overall(?) - at least not, yet. Maybe what is happening is that your pump output- how your body responds to the pump- is affected by the two days of no pumping.

If it is a supply issue, I agree it never hurts to nurse more often assuming baby will, but maybe try pumping briefly once a day over the weekend? This might help with both a problem of supply or one of pump response.

And it never hurts to trouble shoot the pump.

I understand your frustration this is not 'working' the same as with your older child, but of course every baby and nursing situation is different. Taking a "nursing vacation" all weekend (no bottles) is typically helpful in keeping milk production in good shape overall when weekday separations are necessary. But some mothers do find they need to pump over weekends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    It sounds as if your baby gets enough to eat when nursing, so there is nothing really wrong with your production overall(?) - at least not, yet. Maybe what is happening is that your pump output- how your body responds to the pump- is affected by the two days of no pumping.
    I expect there is a good chance of this. Perhaps a power pumping session on Sunday would help make up for any short falls in pump output on Monday/Tuesday as well as help keep you able to respond better to the pump.

Ugh! I hate the pump! But maybe you are right and I need to do a pump or two over the weekend. I would just offer to nurse more often, but she is not into comfort nursing (prefers her thumb to me, kind of hurts my feelings actually) and is highly distractible keeping nursing sessions short and to the point.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.