Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrible rash and screaming at breast

Default Re: Terrible rash and screaming at breast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    some of the trouble could be colic or it could be normal or it could be allergy.
    There is a link to a protocol about doing elimination diets floating around. If YOU feel it is probably an allergy you could try eliminating the most likely culprit, animal milk, for a couple weeks and see if the problem clears up, if so then try having a big dose of it again and see if the problem comes back, if so then you may have found the problem. If not then start drinking milk again and try another likely culprit, but be sure not to go cutting everything out at once because then you are left with almost nothing to nourish you and you won't know what if anything is causing the problem.
    I decided to try eliminating dairy to see if it helps. Not so easy, but worth it if it helps. Figured it doesn't hurt to try. The rash looks so much better but I doubt that had anything to do with eliminating dairy since I've only started day 2. The doc recommended using cortisone creme 2x daily for a week and Vaseline or Aquaphor several times daily to help the dryness. That seemed to have helped tons. Hopefully it won't return. The fussiness remains but hoping either the no dairy diet helps or worse come to worse if it is colic then by 3 mo or so. In the mean time trying to just breathe and ask my husband for help/ breaks as needed. It is hard so hard some days but at least I am lucky enough to have a hubby that's supportive. Thank you ladies as well for your thoughts/ advice. Love these little one but these early mo sure can be trying. I just hope we can both enjoy nursing sooner than later.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

So tomorrow will be 2 wks since I cut out dairy and I don't notice a difference in his behavior. The rash is gone but he still has short feedings and often cries after a few minutes of nursing, not just in the evening though evenings are worst. Sometimes he nurses great but other times I feel as though he is just not happy/ satisfied etc and will just cry. I have noticed that often when this happens if I just stop nursing and rock/ bounce/ walk him he'll fall asleep and then nurses better when he wakes up. Can the problem be that I am misreading him and he just doesn't want milk at that time but needs help to sleep but doesn't know how to comfort nurse? Do babies do that? Or is he hungry and just giving up because I get fed up and sooth him other ways besides the breast? I am so confused and feel defeated at times and have even considered just giving up and giving him formula but thus breaks my heart!
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Hi there! First, so sorry you are dealing with all this Momma! I don't have much sage advice as I am a first time Mom, but I would like to share a bit of our story because it's so similar. There are other great ladies on here who I'm sure will give you some really good input!

Our DS also had a bad rash on his face which he rubbed baaack and forth on my shoulder all the time. My gut kept telling me it was eczema not baby acne. He was not much of a comfort nurser, and we did feel like we had difficulty knowing whether he was tired or hungry. During his first growth spurt we gave him formula (4 oz in the evening for a few days) because I thought my supply had not yet caught up to his demand. I regret that now for a lot of reasons, but mostly because looking back I could have come here for other ideas!!! Anyway, what worked? When he fussed I tried nursing first. If he still fussed I didn't stress, I just tried something else, reassuring myself that my supply was good, latch, letdown etc. were good, and maybe he just didn't want to nurse right then and that was ok for us. He loved walking/swaying to Kenney Chesney, and he loved stepping outside just for a moment, too!

Then I found this forum! I read about allergies and eczema (we have strong family history of both on both sides), allergy vs. overactive letdown, other possible causes, etc etc. We saw our pediatrician, who is also an allergist, and that has helped immensely. Loooong story short, I have been egg, dairy, soy, and peanut free since April, and I also avoid citrus and citric acid, and he is doing so much better! We like Cera Ve lotion, and also use aquaphor sometimes, and Cortaid if he has a spot or two that are really itchy. And I love this forum and use it quite a lot!!

Hang in there, I hope some of my rambling helps! And hopefully some of the more experienced Mommas will chime in with some more ideas for you soon!

My LO does comfort nurse alot but there are times when around 6 weeks old or so, he just had to scream as he fought sleep like sleep was gonna kill him. I would try to nurse but at that time it wasn't working. Newborns are difficult and colic isn't uncommon, especially if you note the screaming fits tend to happen roughly the same part of the day regularly.

Now days my son still wrestles with sleep but it usually doesn't involve screaming, instead he now fusses and struggles at the breast and really seems to need to grab and pull on the other nipple while he finally gives in to sleep while nursing (often happens a couple to tree times per day.)

So we've battled on and while my LO is still gaining well according to doc, he still is a very fussy eater. I am now worried because he has been extremely frustrated with nursing lately and I'm afraid my supply had dropped greatly. Lately, like the last few weeks, He pops on and off fussing and screaming until I get letdown (which is hard sometimes cause won't suck- just latched and pops off over and over again). Then when I do let down he sucks the milk down very aggressively for about a min and then screams again so I switch sides- he guzzles and then gets upset quickly again. I keep switching until one of us gives up either because he's finally satisfied or I can't handle the screaming or he decides he's done. I have been taking 500 mg of calcium daily cause my period returned at 2 mo pp but just got period today so guessing the drop in simply is related and the calcium isn't helping. Anything else I can do? I've been drinking mothers milk tea and just made a batch of lactation cookies. I am so beyond frustrated - he is such nan unhappy nursling and I just want to make him happy and fill his tummy. And now this with my period ugh! I was so upset I even (ashamed to admit it) had my husband try to feed him a bottle of formula but lucky for me he refused every time cause part of me would be devastated if he took it. But I also don't want him to be hungry. While he's gaining at a rate doc is comfortable with he's only at the 10th percentile so not like he's a chunker, though I am a little person myself and so was my first. I just don't know what to do to make this better for us both. Is it time to start solids? He's 5 months next week. Am I doing something g wrong? I don't know how much longer I can do this but do to want to give up on him or our bf relationship. Hoping to find some help/ encouragement here.