Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch to bottlefeed

Default Latch to bottlefeed

I'm going back to work and start to bottle feed my baby with breastmilk. Can I know what's the amount I should give him? Because I start giving him 125ml. Afternoon time he only drink 80ml or 75ml. But during night time he's able to drink 125ml. Am I giving him too much as i also realise he spit out milk for both 125ml feed. Or is it because my MIL put him down too quickly after feed. During the two feed in the afternoon I ensure he sit up for 30min before putting him down. Also reAlise after we finish feeding him, he start to cry and turn here and there. Is this also the reason he spit out milk? We try to burp him with all the method but he just can't seem to calm down and let us burp. What's the reason he keep crying after feeding? Is it due to tired or some uncomfortable.

Default Re: Latch to bottlefeed

Are bottles being given in a paced feeding manner? And still on demand?
    How old is baby?
    I would still recommend breastfeeding as much as possible and only give bottle occasionally or only when you will not be with baby since pumping is harder work than breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Are bottles being given in a paced feeding manner? And still on demand?
    How old is baby?
    I would still recommend breastfeeding as much as possible and only give bottle occasionally or only when you will not be with baby since pumping is harder work than breastfeeding.
    What do you mean by paced feeding manner? I Have to work. So I have to let him start bottle feeding because I'm not home to latch. My baby is 2 month old.

I hadn't heard of paced feeding either before starting this whole journey!

Here is a sheet that explains the method: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Can someone recommend the best youtube video to watch that shows this method?

The purpose of paced feeding is to allow baby to control the amount and pace of liquid consumed, just as baby would be able to do when nursing directly; this is important both because it's just respectful of the baby, but also as a ways to lower the likelihood of flow preference / 'nipple confusion' when both bottles and breast will be combined.

You had asked in your original post how much you should leave baby during your work day separations. This might be a helpful resource to calculate that:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erin.in.middletown View Post
    I hadn't heard of paced feeding either before starting this whole journey!

Here is a sheet that explains the method: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Can someone recommend the best youtube video to watch that shows this method?

The purpose of paced feeding is to allow baby to control the amount and pace of liquid consumed, just as baby would be able to do when nursing directly; this is important both because it's just respectful of the baby, but also as a ways to lower the likelihood of flow preference / 'nipple confusion' when both bottles and breast will be combined.

You had asked in your original post how much you should leave baby during your work day separations. This might be a helpful resource to calculate that:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    Thanks for the link and explanation. Do you have any idea why my baby will cry after feed? He just can't let us burp him. It's also a problem im facing.

Here is one video on paced bottle feeding
    http://youtu.be/UH4T70OSzGs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*peijie View Post
    I Have to work. So I have to let him start bottle feeding because I'm not home to latch. My baby is 2 month old.
    provided baby will take a bottle, you only need to let baby have perhaps as much as a few bottles a week max before you go back to work. You should still breastfeed as much as possible when you are with baby and try to reserve bottle use for when you are away working.

Normal breastfeeding is usually between 60-90 ml (2-3 oz) at a time though some babies may take more or less at some feedings. Keep bottles small and if baby is still hungry after finishing the smaller amount, a smaller top up bottle could be offered. Like if baby usually takes only 75 ml at a time, make your bottles that size and then have some small 30 ml top ups available if baby is still hungry.

Generally you should leave about 30-45 ml (1-1.5 oz) per hour you will be separated from baby.