Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old + I have hives while breastfeeding. Anyone else?

Default 5 month old + I have hives while breastfeeding. Anyone else?

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter for 5 months. Around 3 weeks ago I noticed red patches on my breast, but I disregarded and thought it was due to a blocked duct or possibly mastitis. However, I started to hives appear on my hands, forearm, feet and now it's spreading to my hip area. My daughter also has them on her back and stomach. Has anyone else experienced this? I heard you can get hives from breastfeeding or stress, but why would my daughter have them?

Default Re: 5 month old + I have hives while breastfeeding. Anyone e

It is possible to get hives from stress, but since your daughter has them too, I would guess you are both experiencing an allergy to something.

Have you seen a doctor? This is odd enough that I would want a doc to take a look, and make sure this isn't some contagious skin issue masquerading as hives. Hives aren't contagious, and it would be really weird for you and your daughter to share the same allergy- they way allergies work is that we inherit the tendency to have allergies, but specific allergies are not transmitted from parent to child.

Have you changed laundry powder? Sounds crazy, but I got hives not long after my DD was born and it was because my MiL had kindly laundered baby clothes and I reacted to it. DD was fine in our case tho!

I did see the doctor and she confirmed they were hives.

I used to think I was allergic to celery, I would break out in hives after eating a stick of industrially grown celery. I later realized that I can eat organic celery without breaking out in hives so I'm apparently allergic or reacting to some chemical they spray on the industrially grown stuff. So an allergy could well be something in the environment that is not food. (like the laundry detergent or soap or some other product.)

I don't think it is too outrageous to think that perhaps both mom and baby share the same allergy or sensitivity, especially if it might be to an environmental allergen or skin product. Some people are even allergic to certain types of fabric, could you have developed an allergy to your bras?

Sometimes I get hives from warm sweatiness (actually I get hives at the drop of a hat, but this warm sweatiness seems most relevant here). If I put a blanket between baby & me while nursing it takes care of the problem. Also, I'm really sensitive to itchy fibers, and that sensitivity is turned up to 11 if I'm warm/sweaty/nursing. So while I can tolerate a wool sweater sometimes, I absolutely have to take it off before nursing. I wonder if something like this is going on for you?

Eta: also, with the change of seasons, I wonder if you're using any new lotions, etc, or if the old lotions, etc, are irritating drier skin?