Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Positions?

Default New Positions?

Hi there! I could really use some help. DD and I have had an adventure in breastfeeding. When she first got here, she latched like a pro and was doing fine for a day and a half. She kept wanting to eat and eat and eat and in my uneducated mind, I had nothing to offer her because my milk hadn't come in. I asked to speak with a lactation consultant but they didn't have one on staff. She got used to the bottle and didn't want the breast anymore so I figured I'd just pump and bottle feed. I'd always wanted to do baby on breast but it didn't seem like it was in the cards for us. I couldn't find any positions she liked (we did the football hold in the hospital but that didn't seem to work any more) and we were both frustrated. Being a first time Mom, those sad and desperate screams were more than I could handle, so I kept pumping and bottle feeding.

My Mom wouldn't let me stop trying, however, and she came over and the three of us worked together and side lying became a thing and I've been breastfeeding 98% of the time now (she only gets bottles when Daddy needs to feed her or when we're out and about as I can't nurse her in public).

So DD is now 7 weeks old and side lying is becoming more and more frustrating. She doesn't want to lay down to eat all the time and my breast is about the size of her torso, heavy and full. Also, my nipples are shy (not flat or inverted but don't get as hard as she needs them to be to nurse successfully which is why I use a nipple shield) and... well... they're not in your typical place. One points down, the other slightly to the side so conventional positions don't work well for us. I'm open to any advice but at this time, I'm seriously considering just going back to pumping and bottle feeding. I'm just afraid that this will end up feeding her too much. And I'll miss it.

Default Re: New Positions?

7 weeks is still little! How recently have you tried the regular cradle or cross-cradle hold?

Have you tried leaning back positioning(A.k.a. laid-back breast-feeding or biological nurturing)
    What about taking one of the more traditional positions and tweaking it until it works for you? I gather you are saying that you are very large breasted – if that is the case some moms find that rolling a towel or a cloth diaper up and placing that under the breast helps there are many positioning ideas for large breasted moms.
    No two mothers have breasts that look exactly like. Nipple size, angle etc. will also differ tremendously mother to mother. Real breasts come in all shapes and sizes and configurations. Yet breast-feeding has worked for human beings of all shapes and sizes from the beginning of humanity.
    As your baby gets bigger and stronger it will probably become easier and easier to find positions that work. If you stop nursing and go totally to bottlefeeding you may end up with the baby who starts to refuse the breast and will not try to nurse again. Of course if you bottlefeed your baby your own milk you're giving your baby Best food there is. It is an admirable thing to do. However nursing at the breast also has its own unique benefits. Also Eping it is a much harder thing to do, usually, than nursing at the breast.

I'm not able to link the information about positioning that I would like to I will try to do that later. Meanwhile what other support do you have in your area? Just because there was no lactation consultant on staff at your hospital does not mean there is not a lactation consultant that you could see in your area. It is also possible that there is a breast-feeding support group. Make sure you were taking advantage of any opportunities for assistance and support that are open to you.

I would also suggest making sure that whoever gives your baby A bottle knows how to do it using paced bottlefeeding technique. This is important for helping to avoid breast refusal due to bottles.
    If you find the document on this website called bottlefeeding the breast-fed baby that will give you information on that.

This link might help you find an LC, specifically an IBCLC
    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3901

As your baby grows, she will be better able to try new positions. Have you tried leaning back with her sitting on your lap facing you and just supporting her so she can latch on from there. My son had really good head control and he liked to kinda pick his own latch position like that, granted you will have to tweak that idea to suite yourself since it was easy for me with a tall boy and I'm short but with rather small breasts.

I ended up seeing a lactation consultant at my daughter's pediatrician's office. Her recommendation was to get her to open her mouth wide and shove my nipple in her mouth which ended in tears for both of us. She did mention a nipple shield which is why I found out they exist so I use that religiously. I just tried the towel (shirt in my case) under the breast and did the cradle hold. I had to shove a pillow underneath her but it worked out well for our first try. I'm pretty sure we'll revisit that next time. Thank you for the advice!

I don't know if there's a support group around me, actually.

Her recommendation was to get her to open her mouth wide and shove my nipple in her mouth which ended in tears for both of us.
    Oh dear, I am sorry, that is called the "RAM" technique (Rapid Arm Movement- I am not kidding) and fell out of favor long ago...It CAN work, but often does not and many moms and babies do find it stressful. Now the trend is (when possible) to help baby find the nipple and latch on more or less on their own, with mom helping baby as much as needed.

But one unhelpful experience with one LC does not mean you cannot get better help from someone else.

If the nipple shield is helping then by all means use it. But it may be limiting to your movement to some extent, (making it harder to adjust positions and experiment) and it is also possibly problematic for milk production going forward. Usually it is suggested that moms pump in order to ensure milk is being removed fro, the breast well enough when using a shield, but that may or may not be needed. Also it is important to watch weight gain closely for the same reason. Once you feel more like you and baby are getting the hang of things, I would suggest slowly attempting to wean baby off the shield.

You can look up local LLL groups all over the world on this website's main page. If you are in the US, you can call the USA breastfeeding helpline (Leave a message, someone WILL call you back) and the Leader you talk to on there can give you phone help as well as direct you to any local groups. There is also a volunteer group called Breastfeeding USA. If there is a Breastfeeding Coaliton in your city, county or state they may know where you can get more help. WIC offices, Hospitals, are other sources for info about any help groups in your area.

I also suggest, nurse often: Nurse at earliest cues and feel free to offer before baby cues. The calmer baby is the more likely baby will be able to work with you to get a good latch.

Here are some places to look for info. I suggest, use all these as ideas for getting started, not as rules! Adjust any position as needed. Every mother and baby fit together in their own unique way.

Good general article on latch and position: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

Several resources for info on laid back positioning:

I like this video: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html
    Nice article and pics. Yes it is about fast flow, but these pictures beautifully demonstrate laid back nursing in general http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/

more on laid back from same blog: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html

simple positioning ideas: http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

info specifically for large breasted moms: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yjun89p35.html

NIpple Shields: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

It sounds like you are doing really well despite these challenges. Congratulations on your dear baby.

I'm so happy it's working out! <3
    Mommy to Sam (6yrs), Micah (4yrs), and Caius (11mo).
    Breastfeeding my littlest by night and pumping by day.

Also, is this normal to do? For one feeding, I'll offer her one breast and the next feeding, I'll offer her the other. It's just that switching sides seems to interrupt her more than it helps so I just let her drink at the one for as long as she wants. When she starts comfort sucking, I'll readjust and see if she drinks again or is comforting herself. If she drinks, we stay on. If she's just comfort sucking, I'll pull her off and offer her a pacifier instead. Is that OK?

It is perfectly fine for baby to take one side at a time if that is what baby prefers.. Making baby switch sides is a milk production increasing technique and is not needed unless baby is not gaining well or there is low milk production.

Pacifier use, on the other hand, can be saved for when you really need it- you are in the car or the shower, for example. Typically the suggestion is that all baby's sucking needs be met at the breast, and while in real life that is not always possible, it is a good general 'rule.' Because "comfort nursing" is still real nursing, and is a vital and important part of how breastfeeding works. If nursing is hurting or uncomfortable for you, then best to keep working on solving that issue.

Of course if baby has fallen asleep on the breast and will stay so if you unlatch her, or she is happy to come off without being given a pacifier, or if you simply need to get up or stop nursing in order to do something else, it is probably ok to take the initiative to end the nursing session some of the time. but just in general it usually works best to follow baby's lead with when and how long to nurse.