Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dry Nursing during Pregnancy - Ouch!

Default Dry Nursing during Pregnancy - Ouch!

I'm currently twenty weeks pregnant and still dry-nursing my two year 3-4 times a day, does anybody have any suggestions for decreasing the pain factor?

My LO has never had a great latch but it was manageable when I had good supply to cushion the friction but now that my supply has dwindled it's becoming uncomfortable at best and painful at worst!

And as an aside, I wouldn't recommend googling "dry nursing", scary stuff!

Thank you!

Default Re: Dry Nursing during Pregnancy - Ouch!

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to limit the pain from nursing during pregnancy is to limit the duration or frequency of nursing itself. Not the solution you are looking for, I am sure!

Would some lanolin help decrease the friction?

I was just about to post the same exact question!! My son is also 20 months, and is dry nursing a few times a day and a few times at night. It is painful! My left nipple has cracked a little and it hurts like hell. This was never a problem until I got pregnant. Is the pain and cracking caused by dry nursing? I have been trying Lanolin and it helps a little.
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12, and Alice, born 2/20/15.

With all the hormone and skin changes during pregnancy I'm sure the pain and cracking is a combo of the nursing with the pregnancy but you might want to re-visit latch basics and positioning if you are experiencing injury.

Congrats on both your pregnancies! I'm not going to be much help either, I'm afraid. I limited nursing to about the number you are at right now and distracted myself as much as possible (lots of smart phone time). We stopped nursing completely to sleep and I'd rub his back to help him fall asleep. I talked a lot about nursing gently and coached him on opening his mouth as wide as possible. Things were a little better when my colostrum came in at 21 weeks but it wasn't a lot of volume. I think he got very used to a strong suck though as nursing him has actually been worse now that my milk is back in. Let downs are the most painful part.
    I'm wondering if you have thrush Petersmommyjessi? Pregnant women are much more susceptible to yeast infections and the cracking could be a symptom. I've had a recurring case since my youngest was born. He and I have symptoms but my preschooler does not.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I'm wondering if you have thrush Petersmommyjessi? Pregnant women are much more susceptible to yeast infections and the cracking could be a symptom. I've had a recurring case since my youngest was born. He and I have symptoms but my preschooler does not.
    Good point, i hadn't thought of it. This is a stupid question, but who do you see to diagnose that? I have an OBGYN appointment tomorrow. Do I need to see a lactation consultant, or just a general physician? Is there medication and is it safe when pregnant?
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12, and Alice, born 2/20/15.

The OB should be able to diagnose and prescribe. I'm not sure what to take for Thrush on the breasts but when I was pregnant and had a vaginal yeast infection they said I should use Monostat 7, that it was safe during pregnancy.

Here is a link to an information sheet on the Jack Newman site about Gentian Violet use.
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:us ing-gentian-violet&catid=5&Itemid=17

You might also contact Infant Risk (806) 352-2519