Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besides sleeping when the baby sleeps....

Default Besides sleeping when the baby sleeps....

Is there anything else that helped you feel less tired or tense the first few weeks? Or is it inevitable to feel like a truck hit you for at least the first 6 weeks?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Besides sleeping when the baby sleeps....

I don't think it's inevitable. (Maybe if you have other kids to tend to)

Just take "sleep when the baby sleeps" very literally! Don't be tempted to do other stuff. Take a nap! Or, at the most, watch some TV and zone out.

And don't forget to eat. I forgot to eat and that was bad.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Well I honestly did feel like a truck hit me. It does pass. However, it doesn't feel very good at the time.

So, here's my advice, which I'll have to follow better next time I have a baby: your job is to take care of yourself and your baby. This means, as the PP said, that you must eat well. If you don't, it doesn't just affect you anymore. Cleaning can wait. Ask for help from those around you (most of us just have to get over not wanting to do that) and accept any offers of help. Food is the most important- if someone asks, they can make you a meal. Make simple but nutritious meals like scrambled eggs and veggies, or even the healthier frozen meals or canned soups. Having enough food really helps you feel your best.

Try to get outside every day, if you can, even just a walk around the block. Or, LOL I remember some days just standing outside the back door, holding my baby, and breathing in the fresh air! It helped. Fresh air and sunshine really helps with that stressed-out exhausted feeling.

The other thing that really helped me was starting co-sleeping (which we still do, and my baby is 10 months old now). I started out not doing it, but it made a world of difference in getting enough sleep. Not sure how you feel about it, but its worth considering.

It looks from your signature you haven't had your baby yet- if thats the case then I think one of the MAJOR things you can do is to make and freeze meals ahead of time. I did that, and also had friends help me out, and I didn't cook for the first few weeks. It was worth it. Also have easy and healthy snack food around and ready. At the very least, stock up on healthy frozen and canned stuff now like I mentioned. It saves a lot of stress.
    Last edited by Nola; December 1st, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

You crack me up! You are going to be so prepared. You have thought of everything. I am envious.

I think somewhat it is. Like the PP said, don't especially the first month try to do things while LO sleeps. Sleep too. It makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    You crack me up! You are going to be so prepared. You have thought of everything. I am envious.

I think somewhat it is. Like the PP said, don't especially the first month try to do things while LO sleeps. Sleep too. It makes a world of difference.
    LOL I sometimes wonder if LLL will block me out of the forums for posting so many questions I figure I'll be less anxious about things by asking the questions now. And what's great is that all my threads are saved so I can reread them later on
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I think it helps to be able to go with the flow - especially for the first couple of weeks your body and time isn't your own I remember people asking if we were on a schedule and I smiled and said "yes - our little guy's schedule". It was a strange adjustment for me at first because in my professional life I tend to be very organized and scheduled, but then I quickly learned to savor being in the moment and enjoying all those first moments even when I was tired and had a crying baby. I TOTALLY agree with all the PP about asking for help and never turning down offers for help. People bringing over food was great. And for us getting out of the house was a big help - I'm normally very active so after 2.5 days at the hospital I was feeling very cooped up and very much needed to go out on walks with LO in a sling. I forget from your other posts what your personal situation is - but it may be good to also talk with your DH (or whatever ) about expectations and what his role will be to help with LO and help take care of you. We very quickly fell into a pattern of my DH doing diaper changes and soothing DS back to sleep when he was fussy or crying and letting me get a little extra sleep. My DH also did all the grocery shopping and most of the house stuff for the first couple months. Boy do I love that man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post

I was just going to post the same thing...specifically saying "You crack me up!" I totally agree with pp...also, accept people's help & ask for it...don't be shy. I would say to my sister...would you mind unloading the dishwasher, or put a load of laundry in, or change a diaper....I found I didn't really need help with the baby, but more other stuff. My mom was great too, making the bed, snacks, changing diapers, making sure I got rest. My DH started a job out of state when LO was 1 week, so those first few weeks were tough...I moved out of state when LO was 6 weeks! Anyway, go with the flow. Honestly, your instincts will kick in and if they don't we are always here!

I think that it depends on the person and your birth experience as to whether or not you feel like a mack truck hit you. I had a very easy delivery but then hemorrhaged pp. I ended up in the hospital and had 2 blood transfusions. Even after that though, I went to the mall to go shopping for nursing bras and went out to eat with my mom when he was 4 days old. We started back to church when he was a week old and I feel like I never missed a beat.

For my sanity...I HAD to get out of the house at least once a day, if only for a few minutes. I would go to the store, walk to the end of the street, sit in the driveway and let DS get some sunlight to help with the jaundice...something. The rest of my time was spent nursing, eating, and sleeping. The house went to hell in a handbasket, and I don't know that its ever come back

But, that was just me. Some people are perfectly content and need to stay home for many many weeks after baby is born. For me I NEEDED to get out or I'd go crazy. The first 8 weeks were so easy for us....we had a great, laid back baby. i went back to work (babysitting triplets) after 3 weeks (part time, 20 hours/week) 8am-noon and then I'd come home and sleep all afternoon.

Don't push yourself...but also don't feel like you HAVE to stay locked inside your house forever either.

There's my 2 cents.

leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Like the PP said...it depends on the person. For me I had an easy birth experience (no tears, no heavy bleeding, etc...) so I was fairly active soon after the birth. For me to keep my sanity I had to exercise (I started a few weeks pp). I know that may sound crazy, but that was what I needed to do for myself. Nothing to intense...yoga, eliptical and A LOT of walking.

I found that the first several weeks all the baby wanted to do was eat, poop and sleep. I was pleasantly surprised that I had a lot of 'me' time. In addition to working out, I got in touch with other mothers from my prenatal group. Since we were all scheduled to have our kids around that same time, I thought what a great opportunity to talk with the other moms and compare stories and get advice. That was huge for me. The connections that I now have are worth more than gold to me...I wouldn't trade it for the world!!

To this day (5 months pp) I try to keep busy. I attend mom and baby classes, yoga, gym, coffee dates with other moms, mom and baby movies...

I was told by several people to TRY and do these three things EVERY day:

1. EAT!! At least three meals a day.
    2. Shower (even if it's at midnight!)
    3. Get out of your pajamas and get dressed

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully....it's great that you are reaching out to people even before having your baby!

Smile Re: Besides sleeping when the baby sleeps....

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan's mom View Post
    Like the PP said...
    I was told by several people to TRY and do these three things EVERY day:

1. EAT!! At least three meals a day.
    2. Shower (even if it's at midnight!)
    3. Get out of your pajamas and get dressed

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully....it's great that you are reaching out to people even before having your baby!
    I agree too !! Have something quick and easy to eat otherwise you may find yourself thinking "I don't have time to both Eat And Sleep."
    Best wishes...M
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk