Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: introducing a bottle

Default introducing a bottle

I breastfeed and people keep telling my I need to introduce a bottle soon, just to make sure he doesnt reject it fully. I have sooo much milk that i REALLY do not want to pump to stimulate more production. I leak so much as it is!

At what age should i introduce a bottle to ensure he doesnt reject one fully? He was 5 weeks old on Wednesday. Thanks!

Default Re: introducing a bottle

I don't know what others experience is but I waited until he was 2.5 months until I introduced it. It took patience and different nipples to find the ones he liked but now it is going good and he is just 3 months. SO...I wouldn't listen to others, I would listen to what you feel is right and your situation (returning to work, etc.) At first I leaked a lot too and was engorged but eventually your supply will regulate with what he is drinking. I wouldn't pump because you should let him set your supply, like you said pumping will just make more. Go with what you think is right, this was just my 2 cents.

I have heard that around 8 weeks is ideal, but I don't know anyone that has a baby who works on an "ideal" timeline. GOOD LUCK!!!!

My local breastfeeding support hotline recommended 8 weeks, which I found was perfect for my little guy. I ended up using Second Nature bottles and nipples, and my beautiful boy didn't have any nipple confusion, thankfully. I went back to work part-time at 6 months and he happily takes the one bottle he needs while I'm gone. At first he complained about it, but I guess his hunger got the best of him!

I too used to leak and produce too much in the beginnig too, but I did pump a bunch of it, and now I am so glad I did! I use my milk stash for mixing with cereals, veggies etc. I don't even remember the last time I leaked (baby is 6 months old now), so I'm glad I took advantage of it while it was happening!

I would start soon, maybe an ounce in a bottle every other day just to get used to it. You can try different kinds of nipples to see which ones you like best, just be sure to use the slow flow version.

I started trying my dd on a bottle around 5 weeks and she took it after a few tries. Then I figured it was fine and I didn't give it to her for 2 weeks, and when I tried again she wouldn't take it. She has never taken it since either, and she's now 6 months old and in daycare full-time. We work it out, but I will do it differently with the next one.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

After reading these new posts, i thought I would add. It seems that others have had experiences different from mine. I guess I was lucky and I was able to wait until 10 weeks and he still took the bottle after finding the right nipple (playtex naturalatch slow flow). I also do not give him a bottle that often but he has never rejected it since we first introduced (3 weeks ago). My suggestion on waiting to pump is what my doctor told me. I waited til 9 weeks to begin pumping/storing and stopped leaking around then too. I pump the side DS doesn't feed on either during his feeding or after. Otherwise constantly pumping did cause my supply to go crazy and I got engorged if I didn't pump. I knew I wouldn't be going back to work til Jan. So I didn't want to get carried away with pumping. Doing one side was enough to build up a nice stash. I also use the sippy cup as well, which I find works out a lot better than a bottle. Again, my situation seems different than the other two posts, so go with what you feel is right for you!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaG View Post
    After reading these new posts, i thought I would add. It seems that others have had experiences different from mine. I guess I was lucky and I was able to wait until 10 weeks and he still took the bottle after finding the right nipple (playtex naturalatch slow flow). I also do not give him a bottle that often but he has never rejected it since we first introduced (3 weeks ago). My suggestion on waiting to pump is what my doctor told me. I waited til 9 weeks to begin pumping/storing and stopped leaking around then too. I pump the side DS doesn't feed on either during his feeding or after. Otherwise constantly pumping did cause my supply to go crazy and I got engorged if I didn't pump. I knew I wouldn't be going back to work til Jan. So I didn't want to get carried away with pumping. Doing one side was enough to build up a nice stash. I also use the sippy cup as well, which I find works out a lot better than a bottle. Again, my situation seems different than the other two posts, so go with what you feel is right for you!
    Well i want to wait as long as possible...but at the same time i dont want to risk the bottle rejection! I think i wil wait until 8 weeks and hope for the best! Thanks ladies!

I also want to add that if for some reason your lo won't take a bottle (like mine- we introduced at 6 weeks and never liked it...) there are other ways to get your expressed milk to your lo. Even vary young babies can learn to drink from a cup, or you can use a spoon, drooper, or syringe (which is what dh used when I wasn't around).
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi