Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intimidated by breast pump..Medela vs. Purely Yours

Default Intimidated by breast pump..Medela vs. Purely Yours

Following up on my message from earlier, I've registered for the backpack Medela Pump in Style, but have also heard great things about the Ameda Purely yours kind and how it's easier to use and clean.

Since you might be new to using both I thought it would be better to post on this board than the pumping one.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Intimidated by breast pump..Medela vs. Purely Yours

I use the Purely Yours pump and it's OK, of course I've never used any other so I don't really know if others are better. It is pretty easy to use, although mine makes a lot of noise. I just kind of had to figure it out as I went, as someone gave it to me and I don't have any manual or anything. Anyway, that's all I can tell you, maybe someone else has had more experience and can help more. Don't be intimidated, though. I put off pumping until I absolutely had to to go back to work becasue I was afraid of it and now I don't have any extra milk stored up. I wish I had been pumping and freezing before I went to work becasue it would have been much easier while I was at home. Good Luck!

Smile Re: Intimidated by breast pump..Medela vs. Purely Yours

I have a Medela Pump in Style and I love it (well as much as you can love a device that makes you feel like a dairy cow ). I have never used that Ameda Purely but have heard they are nice from others.

One thing I would say to get - regardless of which pump you get is a hands free pumping bra. I have a halter type from http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/ and it is so nice to type or do anything other than sit here and hold those darn bottles! I also have one I ordered that uses rubber-bands and will hook up to any bra but I found that the rubber-bands pinched my skin, get caught in my hair and one broke once when I was taking it off and hit my nipple after I had been pumping and is was quite unpleasant! The Halter type is all soft material and idiot proof - which I need as a new first time mom with little sleep.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Oh my gosh, I am definitely getting one of those!!!! I had no idea they existed, it will make pumping at work soooooo much easier. I'm sitting here trying to hold the bottles from underneath with my legs and brace them against the edge of the desk, afraid that at any moment the suction will break and I'll look a sessions worth of expressed milk, not to mention trying to type at the same time. Thank You!!!!

Lots of baby boutiques, and even Babies R Us possibly, should be able to show you a sample pump of each type. While they can't open a new box, they should be able to show you a pump of each type. Maybe this could answer your questions about which you should buy.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    Lots of baby boutiques, and even Babies R Us possibly, should be able to show you a sample pump of each type. While they can't open a new box, they should be able to show you a pump of each type. Maybe this could answer your questions about which you should buy.

Lisa
    Unfortunately Babies R Us mainly carries Medela. I would only consider Medela or Purely Yours, but neither buy buy baby or babies are us carries them, so I'll have to order it online.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I actually bought my Ameda PY at a medical supply store. I've only tried the PY, not the PIS, but I did like the PY pretty well.
    I almost always use my Avent Isis manual. But if you want hands-free that's not a good option! I've also heard good things about the electric Avent IQ, not to complicate things.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Ameda PY is A-OK

I bought the Ameda PY because my LC at the hospital recommended it for several reasons - the one that struck a chord with me is the fact that you CANNOT contaminate the pump with milk. I was going to get the Playtex pump but I got this one and never looked back.

It's relatively quiet, has good suction control as well as cycle control and is easy to clean. I have the Ameda that came with the backpack, AC adapter, car adapter, and cooler tote. The Ameda PY is the only pump FDA approved for use by more than one person (with separate disposables) so you might want to look on e-Bay for a used one then just buy a new hygenikit for it. Also, check with your insurance provider for breastpump reimbursment money - my BC/BS insurance will reimburse me up to $150.

Good Luck!
    Jennifer

Remind me again. . . are you planning to return to work after your baby is born?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I've used both the PIS and the PY. I prefer the PY. I think they are very comparable though. I doubt you would get more milk with one versus the other. The main difference is that the PY is a closed system and easier to clean. I've used three different Medela pumps including one rented from the hospital, and they all had milk get into the tubing.

Both the PIS and PY are great in that you can purchase larger shields if you need them. If you see a lactation consultant when you're in the hospital, you may want to ask which size shield she'd recomment.