Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lazy Baby

Default Lazy Baby

I'm new on here, so i might be doing something wrong : /

I have 6 month old twin girls who were born at 36 weeks, naturally. They both nursed very well since the beginning, though slow. It seems that by now they should be nursing much faster, but it still takes them 20 minutes sometimes, if i can keep them on that long! If i don't make them eat for an extended period, they snack all day.

One thing i noticed, and heres my question: Is it normal for babies at this age to sit and wait for a let down? They barely suck, they usually just sit latched on and wait patiently for my milk to let down. They suck vigorously for the moment and then wait again. I don't have any problems with supply, their weight gain is good, they are fussy babies, but i think its another issue, possibly an allergy.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Lazy Baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hannah.seed View Post
    One thing i noticed, and heres my question: Is it normal for babies at this age to sit and wait for a let down? They barely suck, they usually just sit latched on and wait patiently for my milk to let down. They suck vigorously for the moment and then wait again. I don't have any problems with supply, their weight gain is good, they are fussy babies, but i think its another issue, possibly an allergy.
    Tone can be really tough on the internet, so please try to 'hear' me say this in a non-dismissive way, upbeat, etc-- from what you've described, I'm not seeing an issue! And not an issue that would make me think allergy. But maybe I'm missing something? Your babies are sucking a little, then just hanging out waiting for a let down to happen?, but since weight gain is good, it sounds like a let down is eventually happening? If that is what's going on, it sounds like you have some smart little ones on your hands who have learned exactly what efforts are needed (and what aren't) to achieve what they want to achieve!

But maybe I've misunderstood?

Welcome to the forum, mama!

For what it's worth, ever since my baby became mobile right around that time, there are many times that she'll nurse a little, then roll away and crawl off to go do something else, leaving me to let down, and try to catch her. When I do catch her (if I can!), sometimes she'll nurse and sometimes no. Some of that sounds a little similar to what you're describing-- but though it may be a little frustrating or peculiar, I don't think it's abnormal or a problem.

thanks for the reply! I mostly wanted to make sure it wasn't out of the ordinary, and that i didn't have let-down problems. When i mentioned allergies, it was just a side-note in reference to their general fussiness, not the way they nurse. I have never got them tested, but their wakefulness, fussiness, gas, and frequent spit-ups makes me think maybe? They nap between 15 min- 30 min. I don't think thats normal? If it is, there must be a lot of crazy mamas out there. Thanks!

So, I think there are those semi-mythical babies who sleep nice and consistent two-hour stretches for day time naps. I think they do exist, and probably someone here can testify to having observed one in their very own house. One does not live in my house, though, that's for sure! I'd say we've been in the 25-45 minute camp for a long time now (my daughter is 8 months currently, and this has probably been the case since around 6-8 weeks, or whenever it was when it felt like she really 'woke up' out of that newborniness), just with progressively longer periods of awake in between as time goes on. And man, it can be rough!, but I can't imagine how rough it would be with TWO, and with a little bit briefer of windows of sleep to boot.

If you research it more, think about it more, consult with the pediatrician, whathaveyou, and continue to think it may be allergies, here is the protocol from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

Here is my favorite quote on spit-up from Dr. Jack Newman:

"I notice a comment about spitting up. Here's my take. If the baby is gaining weight well and is generally a happy baby spitting up is not a bad thing. In fact, it’s probably a good thing. Breastmilk is full of immune factors (not just antibodies, but dozens of others as well that all interact) that protect the baby from invasion by bacteria and other microorganisms (fungi, viruses etc) by lining your baby’s mucous membranes (the linings of the gut, respiratory tract and elsewhere). A baby who spits up has double protection, when the baby drinks the milk and it goes to the stomach and then when he spits it up. I frequently use this example of how breastfeeding is so different from formula and bottle feeding. Spitting up formula, if all else is going well, is probably not bad. Spitting up breastmilk, if all else is going well, is probably good."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jack-...07558935944720

When you find a perfectly normal baby, that will probably be what is ab normal.

Since about 6 months, MY son has been nursing shorter and shorter times (except when he wants to take a booby nap) Rarely nursing for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time but generally nursing hourly, I don't have a large storage capacity.

Just hanging out waiting for let downs sounds better than what DS does, grabbing and playing with the other nipple and/or slurping the nipple in/out or switching breasts repeatedly.

Seeing as weight gain is good it doesn't sound like something to worry about even if a bit odd.