Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis?? Red Dots on breast?

Default Mastitis?? Red Dots on breast?

My LO is 3 weeks old and the first week of breastfeeding I felt like I was having normal tenderness that was getting better. Then all of sudden my right breast started to get really sore and seemed a little red. My I saw my OB and he said I may have a slight infection. So I am taking the antibiotics for mastitis but all of a sudden red dots appeared all over my breast. I am almost finished with the antibiotics. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else while taking the antibiotics for mastitis?

Default Re: Mastitis?? Red Dots on breast?

Hmmm, that is something I think you should call doctor about. It may be a reaction to the abs? I have gotten what basically was a heat rash that appeared to be nursing related, but never anything like that from antibiotics.
    Aside from the abs, what are you doing for the possible mastitis? how is nursing feeling? It is very important that milk is removed from the breasts (by baby or, by pump or hand expression if needed) well and frequently. It is also important to rest (I don't mean sleep, although that would be good to but lets be realistic) but REST is very important. Empty breast, lots of rest. That is needed for mastitis.

If it still hurts to nurse, or you think baby is not removing milk well, are you able to see a lactation consultant?

more on mastitis. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

Kellymom.com also has good mastitis articles.

Could you also be dealing with Thrush?
    Are the red dots like a rash? Do you have itching or burning like a yeast infection? It isn't uncommon for a thrush infection to follow on right after antibiotic use. If it is thrush you still need to finish out the antibiotic treatment but you will also need to get both you and baby treated for thrush.

Thanks for the response! I called in to my doctor and they told me to just monitor the red dots. But for the mastitis I've been trying to nurse frequently and if I feel like my breast hasn't been emptied I try to pump a little. The pain is getting better so I think the infection is clearing up. So as for now nursing seems to be getting better.

Thanks for your response! Yeah, the red dots look like a rash but they don't itch or burn. I talked to the on call doctor (because of course I always seem to have problems on the weekend when the doctor's office is closed) and she said to monitor the bumps to make sure they don't start to itch or burn. But for thrush, do you know if the actual rash itself would burn?Like I would feel it more on my skin? Or would the burning feel like it is within my breast? I hope I don't have to deal with thrush after trying to heal from mastitis!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadaniya View Post
    Thanks for your response! Yeah, the red dots look like a rash but they don't itch or burn. I talked to the on call doctor (because of course I always seem to have problems on the weekend when the doctor's office is closed) and she said to monitor the bumps to make sure they don't start to itch or burn. But for thrush, do you know if the actual rash itself would burn?Like I would feel it more on my skin? Or would the burning feel like it is within my breast? I hope I don't have to deal with thrush after trying to heal from mastitis!
    I've never had Thrush on my breasts but I imagine the discomfort would be on the skin where the rash is.