Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cereal vs. LC

Default pumping output

Hello again! Well pumping is going a lot better for me. With all of the things I have done to try to increase pump output (i.e.pumping 3 times at work, 1 at night, nursing baby more through night, fenugreek, switching shields and renting a hospital grade pump to mention a few ) I am now able to at least pump usually the 10 oz.to leave baby while I am at work from 8-430. I am very glad I have been able to get to this point, however baby's caregivers feel like baby would be better satisfied at closer to the 12oz mark. Baby is now 4 months. Baby seems to be growing to me as she is getting chunkier thighs, but we don't go back to the doctor for her 4month well check for another 2 weeks. I know that cereal is really just empty calories - so what would you suggest would be better, giving a little bit of cereal or trying to go to an IBCLC to see if there's anything that she can do to help me get a better output? Also - to even be able to achieve this I have to pump 30 minutes each time to get that amount because I get a good let down (I think ) but can get about 3 letdown within that time to total the 2-3 oz each session. Is pumping 30 minutes each time ok? I know that pumping frequency is better than duration, but due to the nature of my job really can't fit another session in even if I did cut back the time on the others. I have tried power pumping for an hour at night for a few nights, but because my let down is weaker at night I get more results by just doing a 30 minute session instead of the on /off every 10 minutes.
    Last edited by @llli*jessica.holiga; November 29th, 2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: title change

Default Re: Cereal vs. LC

Forgot to mention that I do pump on the weekends also at least 2x/day, which makes up for any lower output days for the next week. And I nurse on demand at nights and on the weekends which is usually every 2 hours, sometimes sooner than that for comfort.

You might look into Domperidone to increase your milk supply.
    Or perhaps send a couple ounces of formula to only be used as a "top up" if baby is still really hungry after finishing the normal bottles?
    At 4 months I would probably say adding a little formula or using cereal is about an equal weight choice. It might also depend on if baby is ready to take any cereal (if the tongue thrust reflex is still there then the cereal will just get pushed out) or if baby is willing to drink the formula (once really used to the taste of breastmilk and not super hungry, some babies will reject the formula.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessica.holiga View Post
    Hello again! Well pumping is going a lot better for me. With all of the things I have done to try to increase pump output (i.e.pumping 3 times at work, 1 at night, nursing baby more through night, fenugreek, switching shields and renting a hospital grade pump to mention a few ) I am now able to at least pump usually the 10 oz.to leave baby while I am at work from 8-430. I am very glad I have been able to get to this point, however baby's caregivers feel like baby would be better satisfied at closer to the 12oz mark. Baby is now 4 months. Baby seems to be growing to me as she is getting chunkier thighs, but we don't go back to the doctor for her 4month well check for another 2 weeks. I know that cereal is really just empty calories - so what would you suggest would be better, giving a little bit of cereal or trying to go to an IBCLC to see if there's anything that she can do to help me get a better output?.
    First off-- Jessica, it sounds like you have put in a lot of wonderful and consistent effort, and that you're having great success to show for it! I am really glad for you and for your baby. I hope you are giving yourself credit for all that you have done, and the strides that you have made.

If you are gone for 8-4:30- is this the total time of separation, or is there some extra commute time on either end?

About the question-- cereal or IBCLC. I feel like there would be zero harm in seeing a trusted and well recommended IBCLC, other than the financial cost, I guess, which would depend on your family's particular situation. If it's covered by insurance or if it wouldn't hurt the budget, why not? She may have some ideas. That said, if it to would stretch the budget, maybe there are other things worth considering first.

I know the caregivers feel baby would be more content with a little bit more. Are they using a paced feeding method? I think it's important to trust baby's caregivers-- it's important to select care givers that deserve that trust, right?!-- but with a decision like this, their observations can only be a part (a valuable part, but a part nonetheless) of a bigger puzzle. Is weight gain something you're concerned about? If so, would your pediatrician allow you to swing by sooner than the 4 month visit to do a weight check? This could easily be done by a tech or nurse, and wouldn't need to see the doctor (but would need to be done with good practices-- same scale, nude or clean diaper, etc)?

8-430 is the total time, but sometimes 8-5.

As far as the IBCLC, I need to check into I guess. It's really the financial plus the time factor that has held me back from jumping to that first. With working and all this pumping; ) I hardly feel like I have any time anymore. But if it is what I should do, obviously sacrifices can be made in both of those departments. I really want to be successful breastfeeding to the year mark - so I am really trying hard. With my first (she's 9 now ) I never had to pump. I didn't realize how much work and how hard it really is!

The caregivers are using the paced feeding. I guess I'm not too concerned about her weight, as I can see she's definitely gaining. I just want to make sure that she is getting enough while I'm gone. Maybe it's the days I had to send her with only 6 or 8 oz that has left me a little insecure?

I think if your child's daycare wants to feed your baby more than you think your baby needs, the question is why. What do they mean "baby would be more satisfied?" I mean, that can mean many things.
    Is this a new thought? Was 10 ounces fine before but not now? Why?
    I am not saying they are wrong. Some babies would need 12 or even a little more than that for a 9 hour separation, but some would need only 8 or 9.
    Some babies might not even eat that much and make up for it while home with mom.
    As long as baby is getting enough milk overall, the amount a child needs at daycare is not set in stone and will also usually vary day to day. I agree about paced bottle feeding as well, plus cue feeding and avoiding as much as possible feeding bottles too close to when mom arrives for pick up.
    I also think that if a mom cannot make enough for baby overall, in other words if baby actually NEEDS more, that may be the time to consider formula as needed for supplements. The way I look at it, formula would actually contain close to the appropriate nourishment for this age, while rice cereal does not. Baby is already given bottles while at day care, so making one of them formula, the one given last and only given when it is really needed, is not likely to be harmful to your production (assuming it is really needed and paced feedings etc. is used.) I don't thin k rice cereal is an awful idea, formula just makes more sense to me than trying to fill a baby up more with rice cereal just to get some ounces per day criteria met. But I guess I don't think either is needed unless baby really needs more nourishment overall...I hope this is making sense.
    Is pumping 30 minutes each time ok?
    I think that is fine, it is within range of the typical recommendation which is to start at 20 and adjust as needed. Assuming pumping is comfortable for you. What is to be avoided is superlong pump sessions as a regular thing, or anything that is causing injury.

I think it never hurts to see a good IBCLC, even if you do decide to supplement with rice cereal or other.

I can't believe I have gotten to this point, but for this short work week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday ) have been able to consistently pump the 10.5 ounces she normally takes in a day. WOOOO!! That means that I am actually going to freeze an extra bottle - which is the first start to my freezer stash. I am really hoping that with this 4 day weekend, I can power nurse and pump to really solidify that output! The only recent changes I made were to start taking fenugreek seed instead of the capsules and my birth control shot wearing off completely - so who knows if it was one of those that affected it or something else, but I am so glad my body has finally listened to what I have been telling it to do

In regards to maddieb's response - baby is different everyday. If she takes a long nap in the morning, then she will usually only use 2 3.5 oz bottles while I'm gone. But if she doesn't, then she typically wants to eat around 930, 1130, 130 and 330. So my caregivers - thankfully mostly family - have been really good about holding her off at that last time she wants to eat. That is why they feel like she could use more on some of the days. In the past I have never had any extra to send for that cushion in case she wants more, because with the low output anything that was left over was needed that next day. Hopefully now that my output is a little better, I will be able to actually have that extra bottle in the fridge for those just in case times.

So I guess my question now is, am I going to have to keep this hospital grade pump, taking fenugreek, and eating oatmeal every day until the end of my pumping career? Because it took me so long to get to this point I definitely am going to keep doing it through the Christmas and new years holidays so that I don't jeopardize it. I am still planning on pumping just as frequently and doing everything else that has gotten me here. But any advice from anyone that was able to switch back to their regular pump (I have an medela PISA) or stop taking the fenugreek?

Anyone have any suggestions on the reply I posted Thursday regarding fenugreek and the hospital grade pump? Want sure if I should have just started a new thread so that everyone would see it - but figured it would be helpful to have done of the history... let me know if I should change that

The pump, the oatmeal and the herbs, I did them all for the first couple months. I continued eating oatmeal and the herbs for the next couple after that. Then I gradually stopped, and my supply stayed fine. I've had doubts about my supply lately do I started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle again, and things are going great as far as I can tell.

It's not a trial to eat oatmeal with your breakfast, or even to take a couple herb capsules. I quit pumping after a month and a half because I hated it, but I watched my supply closely to make sure it didn't affect it. Whenever you quit something, just watch your milk for the next week or so.

I never responded well to the pump so pumping didn't work well for me for bringing up my supply. Neither did the fenugreek. So I can't really say on either of those.

With the pump, as far as I can tell the PISA is a powerful pump and provided you keep it in good working order and it is fairly new, then it may be good enough for your situation. It does kinda depend on how many times a day you are pumping and WHY you went to the hospital grade pump. I actually found the PISA to be almost too powerful for me even on the lowest setting so the hospital grade pump being more adjustable as far as suction went was important early on for me. My supply is up now by using Domperidone and I'm not pumping anymore.