Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My newborn have green poo.

Default My newborn have green poo.

Hi, I need some help here. Recently my 1month plus baby is having green poo instead of yellow poo. We visited the pediatrician and she mention that my baby is overfeed and gassy. I'm fully latching my baby but reAlise he only latch on for 5-10min. He open spit up some milk and also choke while drinking. I tried to only feed him on one breast when he want to nurse but he still produce green poo. Am I not latching him well that causes gassy and green poo. But I don't have sore nipple or crack nipple.
    Last edited by @llli*peijie; November 6th, 2014 at 06:23 AM.

Default Re: My newborn have green poo.

Welcome to the forum!

When a baby is generally healthy and is gaining weight well, green poo is nothing to worry about. It is just part of the color spectrum of normal infant poo. Babies can have green poo all the time and still be perfectly healthy.

If your baby's latch feels okay, your nipples are not cracked, and the baby is gaining weight normally, there is nothing wrong with the latch.

It sounds like you may have an overabundant supply. High supply can cause a fast flow of milk which can make the baby choke, cough, gag, gasp, splutter, or click while nursing. A fast flow often results in fast feedings, often 5-10 minutes or less. Oversupply can also result in the baby taking in a lot of lactose (milk sugar), and while that is totally fine and healthy it can result in green poo.

Some other signs of high supply include:
    - Mom frequently feeling full or engorged
    - Lots of leaking in between feedings
    - Strong letdown sensations when baby nurses or in between feedings
    - If mom is pumping, she may be able to pump a lot of milk in a short time period
    - Baby may fuss at the breast before, during, and after feedings
    - Baby may pull off the breast while nursing, and if he does, mom may see milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Baby gains weight very fast, as much as 1lb (0.45kg) a week is common
    - Baby is very gassy
    - Baby wants just one breast per feeding

If you have some or all of the above symptoms, then oversupply is the most likely cause of your baby's green poos. All you really need to do about it is to continue to feed the baby on demand. Eventually your supply will respond to the baby's demand and will level out. You may also want to try reclining while nursing. Leaning back or even laying down on your back will use gravity to slow milk flow to the baby, reducing discomfort due to fast letdowns.

Also if you do have forceful letdowns (spraying milk) you can let baby unlatch and let the strong spray go into a towel before re-latching to let baby nurse after the strong spray is done. This can help with the gas and fussy and spit up and possibly even the green poops sometimes.

Thanks for the information. It really help a lot. Also I reAlise my baby Poo a lot. Is it normal? Should I watch my diet also?

Also I reAlise my baby Poo a lot. Is it normal?
    Yes, it is normal for a breastfed baby to move his bowels multiple times per day. Some will poop after every feeding, and in between, too! But don't be shocked if your exclusively breastfed baby one day goes several days or even a week between poos. That is normal, too, and not a sign of constipation.

Should I watch my diet also?
    I general, there is no need for a nursing mom to change her diet in any way, with the exception of avoiding large quantities of alcohol.

Really thanks so much for your help. Yesterday when I'm breastfeeding my little one he spit up quite a lot of milk. Then he seem to feel hungry again. So I breastfeed him some again. But he spit up again. Should I stop breastfeeding when he spit up? Because I'm a first time mum and got no knowledge of breastfeeding.

Keep nursing with lots of frequency, one side at a time if baby is ok with one side at a time. Offer to nurse, nurse as often as baby is willing.
    Hold baby upright after nursing and generally as much as possible, and you can try burping baby to see if that helps. It is often not needed but sometimes helps.
    Spitting up is a mess but it is normal and is not going to hurt your baby.
    Green poops are also not a sign of anything hurting your baby, assuming baby is gaining well and otherwise healthy.
    Breastfed babies eat a lot in the early months, this is entirely normal and fine. Weight gain may be rapid early on but it will level out later. If your baby is only nursing, (no bottles) there is little to no chance you are overfeeding your baby.

fast letdown ideas: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/

The book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) is wonderful and published in several languages. Almost no one knows anything about this stuff when we become mothers, so we all learn as we go!