Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feeding to sleep plus frequent night wakings

Default Re: feeding to sleep plus frequent night wakings

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*novbabe View Post
    I am in a similiar boat, my lo is 10mnths next week and seriously driven demented by her night waking. She was ebf till 6 months and solids started very slowly. Now she is eating very well and sipping water during the day. She gets about 3feeds during the day and going to bed at 8. She will wake any time from 12-3 and it can take up to 4 hours to get her settled again, usually after I feed her. I had dropped the 2am feed and after 2nd night she slept till 4.30, this was at 8mnths. Now she is waking up and I am going in every 5 mins soothing her and back out. This can go on for 2/3hrs until I give in and feed her. She won't co sleep as hates being in our bed,even after a feed she looks to go to her cot. Nap times are no problem so I havent a clue what to do. I have a 5 & 3 yr old as well am I'm totally wrecked. Any advise is very welcome.
    I agree with bsua65 that your baby should get more than 3 feedings during the day at 10 months. My baby is nearly 13 mos and is still nursing 5 times in 24 hours (2 are during the night, my baby also goes to sleep 8pm). Are you able to nurse her more? At that age I was nursing him two times in the AM (once right upon waking and one before we left the house). Also three times from when I came home from work till bedtime.

If 5 minute intervals doesn't do the trick, how about gradually upping it? First wait 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes. Also maybe introduce a pacifier. I know it's not the best idea for some babies, but in this case it sounds like you'd get a lot more rest that way.

You say your baby is in a cot - is this in your room or in a separate room?
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Thank you so much for your reply - it's great just to hear someone else tell me that it's completely normal for these night wakings. Also the article attached by "zaynethepain" makes a really interesting read, thank you again. Robynmichelle it's so great to hear of someone else going through the exact same thing as me - its makes me feel that maybe I havent done anything wrong so far, and my baby is just behaving the way she should as she needs some extra comfort. My baby behaves the exact same way as your baby when I put her down drowsy but awake. For the past week I have been co-sleeping with my baby when she is having a bad night (in the spare room as my hubby can't sleep when she is in our bed) and it definately makes those night wakings alot easier to cope with - I dont even need to fully wake up, just latch her on in my sleep!! I'm still trying to get her to sleep without feeding as every nap but have no success with it yet! Robynmichelle if you have any success with this, please let me know!
    Last edited by @llli*littlerose; November 10th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Changes in sleeping patterns and eating/nursing patterns in completely normal. She may just need that extra milk overnight now. I would agree with previous posters that you should save your sanity and co-sleep. My LO wakes anywhere from 2 to 7 times a night but he and I go back to sleep quickly with a little nursing.
    Mommy to Sam (6yrs), Micah (4yrs), and Caius (11mo).
    Breastfeeding my littlest by night and pumping by day.

Everything YOU said is what I have been feeling and experiencing! My DD's pediatrician wants us to CIO and told us at 2 months that she should be sleeping through the night. Also said in the hospital not too hold her too much or she will get used to it. Anyhow, I'm glad someone else feels that they are doing what needs to be done, but also feels insecure and frustrated because she keeps waking, makes me feel a little better. It's just starting to make me anxious and I think it's because we are told babies should sleep a certain way when maybe that's just how we want them to sleep! If she could just sleep for 5 or 6 hours again, that would be great! I sometimes wonder if it was my fault and the reason she won't sleep longer because i didn't know about nap schedules when she was younger or I made sure she ate every 2-3 hrs during the night until she was 3 months old.

Everything YOU said is what I have been feeling and experiencing! My DD's pediatrician wants us to CIO and told us at 2 months that she should be sleeping through the night. Also said in the hospital not too hold her too much or she will get used to it. Anyhow, I'm glad someone else feels that they are doing what needs to be done, but also feels insecure and frustrated because she keeps waking, makes me feel a little better. It's just starting to make me anxious and I think it's because we are told babies should sleep a certain way when maybe that's just how we want them to sleep! If she could just sleep for 5 or 6 hours again, that would be great! I sometimes wonder if it was my fault and the reason she won't sleep longer because i didn't know about nap schedules when she was younger or I made sure she ate every 2-3 hrs during the night until she was 3 months old.

Sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong!

My in-laws told me I held DD too much as a newborn and that she'd want to be held forever... She's now 1 and the only time she likes being on my lap is for milk. They now say they wish she would want to just be held so they could get cuddles... It honestly goes too fast to not hold them while you can etc!

http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2...n-germany.html
    Hawkeye- mom, I think personality plays a lot into how often/well a baby sleeps. My oldest was a very frequent waker into his second year but is overall much more sensitive than his younger brother. Temperature in the bedroom, clothes, hungry belly, teething pain, etc all these things bother him more so he needed more help staying asleep while in a light sleep cycle. My youngest is fairly agreeable about all things. This attitude carries over into his sleep.
    The article above has a short history on why our culture shifted to focus on infant sleep so strongly.