Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples....again

Default Sore nipples....again

I have had some struggles with breastfeeding my son, but I was so happy the last few weeks because it seemed like we finally got it! Now, out of the blue, I am extremely sore again and looking for advice.

My son is 14 weeks. Our first two weeks were very difficult and we finally found out he had a tongue tie. It was clipped at 2.5 weeks. All seemed well for a week or two, but weight gain stalled completely. I went to a different IBCLC and she noted that his tongue tie was not revised all the way and he had a significant lip tie as well. We finally had both revised with laser at 7 weeks.

We went through weeks of LC appts, suck training, CST, and he finally got it at about 11-12 weeks! I was thrilled to drop the supplements (of pumped milk), and he has been gaining about 4oz per week without them. My daughter was small, so that is not surprising to me. He is completely healthy and happy.

I am not sure if this new soreness is a regression in his latch or something else. He used to have trouble getting his tongue forward enough, but when I look in the corner of his mouth, I can see his tongue. It kind of feels like the pain I experienced before when my nipple rubbed against his hard palate, but it now lingers after feeding. The tips of my nipples are white....kind of blister-like. They are sensitive to cold and it feels like a mild sting even when not feeding. When feeding, it is a sharp sting. The right side is worse than the left, which is unfortunate because I produce about twice as much on the right and he definitely prefers that side. I have not had any problems with engorgement or plugged ducts, but I was sick over the weekend and have a lingering sore throat. My LC hasn't been returning emails or calls, so any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Sore nipples....again

What shape are your nipples when he unlatches?
    It sounds like vasospasm which used to be painful for me when DS would clamp down and compress my nipples.
    Remember as baby grows you may need to adjust positioning and re-visit making sure latch is good from time to time.

Thanks!

They used to be lipstick shaped, but had been normal and painless for 2-3 weeks until this last little stretch starting Monday. They are still round, but the tips are white. I thought that we had everything figured out and was so happy! We do football hold and I use the flipple to get him to get a good latch. It hasn't hurt this much since before the revision! We haven't been able to get comfortable with other positions....as much as I would love to nurse lying down (we bedshare), it just doesn't work. He and I both definitely prefer football.

Pumping isn't quite as painful, but has been uncomfortable since this started. I was sick Sunday and Monday, and the pain started late Monday. He also has a bit of a red diaper rash today. Could it be thrush? The left side feels like nipple pain, but the right seems to be both nipple and deeper in the breast. I looked into vasospasm, but how do you fix that? I am pumping and bottle feeding tonight and while at work tomorrow to see if I can heal a little and then will try to nurse again tomorrow after work.

Yes it could be thrush. Any itching? Pink or flaky nipples?
    You were sick, did you take any antibiotics?
    Diaper rash could also be thrush.

Definitely worth getting checked and getting treatment if it is. Also take extra precautions with washing laundry in hot water and using a hot dryer and sterilizing pump parts and bottles till it passes. It is OK to feed baby milk that you pump while being treated but don't freeze that milk for future use since it could cause the thrush to come back.

No itching, just the soreness all day and I am in tears nursing. No antibiotics since my c section in late July.

The white on my right nipple looks like what I would think thrush looks like in baby's mouth. I wouldn't call it flaky. My left has a much smaller spot but is still painful to nurse. I don't have any experience with thrush, but I did leave a message with the OB's office today so I should hear back in the morning.

When I was sick this weekend, it was aches and bad chills and feeling very tired but no fever. A sore throat came out of it, but I haven't taken any medication.

There is nothing in baby's mouth, but would he need treated too?

If one of you has thrush then both of you should be treated since you will likely otherwise pass it back and forth.

Thrush is a yeast infection so there is usually itching or pain kinda like a yeast infection but of the nipples and the nipples are often more pink/red, shiny or flaky than usual as well as having the burning/itching/pain of the yeast.

However, when you say white on your nipple, is it like the blanching after you press on your skin before the blood comes back? (this is what the vasospasm usually looks like) Yeast infections or bad latch can cause the vasospasm but they can also happen on their own or be part of Raymunds syndrome. It is only a problem if it hurts, the blanching itself isn't a problem. It used to hurt me back when latch was bad but now I might notice that the tip of my nipple is white right after nursing but without the associated pain so not a problem anymore (I do live in a warm climate though so if you are in a cold place you might just need to be quick to cover up after nursing till the blood flows back.)

Or are you talking like a white dot or something that looks more like a blister? Are there any Hard lumps in the breasts? Blocked pores or ducts can cause lots of pain. I remember once having what I'm guessing was a blocked pore in my nipple (tiny white dot) and that nipple hurt pretty bad for a few days. So you might want to look up info on Blebs, milk blisters, blocked pores and blocked milk ducts. Some moms find they actually have to use a sterile needle to pull out the milk from a clogged pore, mine didn't last long enough for me to get that far.

Went to the OB today and it is just a huge milk blister from blocked ducts, but no hard lumps. After pumping and bottle feeding for 24 hrs, I can at least nurse now. Still painful, but tolerable. Hopefully it will resolve soon. I may make another LC appointment just to check latch again. DS is/was slow to make improvements in tongue movement and latch, but at least he goes from breast to bottle and back again with no complaints.