Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so many questions!

Default so many questions!

My baby used to take ages to nurse but now gets done really quickly. I have posted here previously & been told that as they get older, they get more efficient. See the thing is, I don't think that is what is happening here. This started at 4 months, she is 5 months now. She will latch on, nurse for what seems like the duration of one letdown, at least that is all I feel, (3-5 mins) and then unlatch & look away. If I offer the other breast, she takes it, nurses for a tiny bit and then looks away again. If I reoffer the first, she fusses. If I coax for too long, she fusses. If I burp her and try to put her back on, she fusses. She also doesn't ask for it afterwards. I tend to offer again after a while and then she will again have a tiny bit. Does this mean she is getting enough?

She was previously putting on 1kg a month. This month it is less - not sure exactly but seems like only 1/2 kg. She has also been sick for the past week and lost her appetite at that time.

Also, in the morning, I pump after she eats. I usually only get 1 oz from the side she has eaten from but now I am getting 3 oz. So this means she is eating less, right? I know the quality of breast milk changes as the baby grows. So does this mean that they get full with less?

And one last question, after an illness, I would imagine she needs to gain back the weight she lost, so are night wakings common? Because that is what is happening here.

SO sorry for the LONG post. I am worried & confused

Default Re: so many questions!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fleur View Post
    My baby used to take ages to nurse but now gets done really quickly. I have posted here previously & been told that as they get older, they get more efficient. See the thing is, I don't think that is what is happening here. This started at 4 months, she is 5 months now. She will latch on, nurse for what seems like the duration of one letdown, at least that is all I feel, (3-5 mins) and then unlatch & look away. If I offer the other breast, she takes it, nurses for a tiny bit and then looks away again. If I reoffer the first, she fusses. If I coax for too long, she fusses. If I burp her and try to put her back on, she fusses. She also doesn't ask for it afterwards. I tend to offer again after a while and then she will again have a tiny bit. Does this mean she is getting enough?
    After baby nurses from each breast once, does baby seem content? I know you say that she fusses when you offer again, but does she fuss when you and her move on to non-nursing activities? I feel like, barring anything else medically concerning like confirmed insufficient weight gain, I wonder if it's worth pressing the issue (causing the fussing), or if it would be easiest for you and baby to just take baby's 'no' as a 'no', and then just nurse again (or offer again) next time baby seems to want, whether that be five minutes hence, or an hour, or whathaveyou.

I think storage capacity, and metabolism, and eating habits and preferences vary sooo much between mom&baby pairs, that 'getting enough' is going to happen in so many different ways. For what its worth (which might be, 'not much'), my baby has only now at almost nine months been interested in nursing from both breasts at SOME nursing sessions; she is finished with the nutritive sucking part in a 3-5 min range for quite some time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fleur View Post
    SO sorry for the LONG post. I am worried & confused
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling worried and confused! All of this can certainly be confusing, and I know we're all right there with you feeling that way some of the time. Hopefully some others will chime in too!
    Last edited by @llli*erin.in.middletown; November 5th, 2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: removed some rambling

Pumping out 3 oz just after feeding is a lot. Did you try to feed that 3 oz to her in a bottle? There is a possibility that she's going through a nursing strike. My firstborn had a nursing strike for 5 days when he was about 9 months old (I think it was right after he recovered from a virus but my memory is fuzzy), where I had to pump and feed the milk to him in bottle. He seemed happy otherwise, but just wouldn't latch on. And then things went back to normal on its own.

I know the quality of breast milk changes as the baby grows. So does this mean that they get full with less?
    No. The amount of your breastmilk stabilizes after the first few weeks and remains somewhat constant until you introduce solids, then only it starts to decrease after baby can eat enough solids to replace the calories.

are night wakings common?
    Yes. They know how much they need. Catching up after illness is normal. Could also be grow spurt.

It is best to consult doctor or lactation consultant if you are worried.

I would agree that when baby says NO, done by fussing, then you shouldn't try to force the matter. If you are worried about baby getting enough, then offer to nurse more frequently. Since my baby turned 5 months I've been nursing him almost hourly (give or take) during the day and he will get done with a breast sometimes in only a few minutes and I'll try to get him to latch onto the other breast which he may take for a couple more minutes but I can only get him to stay for another letdown if he is staying on for a booby nap. He is way too busy and wants down to explore after 4-10 minutes of nursing most of the time. I would be very worried about it but since he turned 6 months his weight gain has actually improved outrageously.

It is just not going to be accurate to measure how much baby has eaten at a session by how much you pump after. How much a mom can pump at an individual session means little about anything, except, how much she was able to pump at that session.

As long as baby is gaining normally, baby is getting enough to eat. Weight gain rate typically slows after about 3 months and then again at about 6 months. Without knowing more about the entire weight history, I cannot say if your child's overall gain is normal or not, but baby gaining less during month 4 or 5 than previously, especially if baby has been ill, does not sound alarming to me. And if baby was gaining about 2 pounds a month prior to 3 months of age, that is normal gain.

It sounds as if maybe baby is getting distracted while nursing, and that can be frustrating but again, fairly common at this age.

Thank you ladies for your prompt replies I am sorry about not replying sooner but things have been quite messy here. I don't know what is going on -- whether we are back in wonder week territory or illness backlash or I don't know but sleep & nursing is taking a big hit. She seems to not be hungry for her morning feeds despite sleeping all night. As tclynx said, I too keep offering hourly. She simply turns away and refuses!

Erin - A few days ago I would have said that yes, she seems content. But I have really been observing her and she does fuss more after. Today I gave it a while and then reoffered - rejected. Waited for an hour and reoffered - rejected. Gave up Tried again when she woke up from her nap in just 30 minutes (due to hunger I am thinking) and this time she ate great but did not sleep.

Hayashi - I don't give her the pumped milk. Last month she went through a weird period and I did give her the bottle after nursing. After just two days, she rejected me altogether! In fact, I can't remember clearly in my sleep deprived blur but I think this craziness started around then and is just continuing and getting worse now. I had to feed in her sleep & do skin to skin and she came back eventually. Now I am just bouncing, singing, walking to get her to nurse. My arms are aching~

tclynx - Thanks for sharing. It is good to know this might just be the norm. Have a ped's visit soon so I can confirm my weight gain suspicions.

Maddieb - Hi again She was 2.24 at birth and dropped in the first week. Was 6 kgs at 4 months, which is great On kellymom it is said that weight should should be around 1kg for the first 6 months and 1/2 kg after. Yes she is so distractible since 4 mos but we nurse in a quiet, dim almost dark room.

Argh~ It is so frustrating when she turns away! There are so many people worried about not having enough and here this kid is just not interested. And then I have to waste more time pumping so that I can maintain my supply for her. ugh ugh ugh!

Also, she has now started waking up tons of times after bedtime, which she didn't previously do.