Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactating after menopause

Default Relactating after menopause

I am a 54 year old grandmother of a brand new baby boy! I will be watching my grandson while my daughter is at work and sometimes out of the country. I breast fed both of my children and believe in breastfeeding very strongly. I want to relactate and feed my grandson while I am caring for him. I began the process about 3 months ago using Lenore's menopausal protocol. I am now getting white pearl drops from both breasts but am wondering how much volume I can expect? Has anyone post-menopausal had experience re-lactating after so many years and what kind of quantity can I expect to produce?

Default Re: Relactating after menopause

Congratulations!

I don't think that there is any way to know ahead of time how milk production is going to go. It sounds as if the protocol you are following is working, albeit slowly, but it is too early to tell what kind of volume there will be. It is just not knowable how a body that has not just given birth is going to respond. And of course even if the body HAS just given birth, and is pretty much compelled to start producing milk, hormonally, even then, milk production 'volume' varies greatly from mother to mother.

Is your daughter breastfeeding? Even if the plan the two of you have is that she nurses baby while with baby and you nurse baby while she is at work, she will need to pump or hand express with some frequency/regularity anyway to maintain her own normal milk production (and protect her own health) while away from her child. One option to consider would be to use an at the breast supplementer for feeding baby his mothers milk while you are working on inducing lactation. Of course, if needed, this can be used to feed baby donated breastmilk or formula as well. More info:http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-LA

Is it true you can lactate after the age of 60? I have just started pumping and taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. How long will it take to start pumping milk?

It is theoretically true, though there's little research about it and as far as I know, not too many people have tried it. Therefore, the "how long will it take?" question is, as always, very difficult to answer. It can be expected to vary greatly depending on the individual, her pumping regimen, and her response to pumping.

I am also a 54 year old trying to relactate - unfortunately not due to any grandchildren on the horizon, but because one of my adult children is having a bad, prolonged flare of crohn's disease and I believe breastmilk may ameliorate his symptoms. I didn't take any hormones as they disagree with me. So I have gone straight to pumping and am getting tiny droplets of milk after 2 weeks of pumping. I have just added some breast massage and noticed that my breasts are tender - I'm hoping that signifies changes happening. I would love to hear how other older women are going with their re-lactation. Or, if anyone has used breastmilk to relieve someone's ill health.

Interesting article on human milk for adults with cancer: http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeed...r_adults.shtml

What I find interesting is the naysayers say there is no evidence to support this practice. But where is THEIR evidence that it is not helpful? We DO know breastmilk is a very complete and important food in baby hood and young childhood. It provides complete nutrition and so much more to humans in their most vulnerable yet fastest growing period. Milk from a human milk bank given (yes probably sold, but not at any profit, the milk for babies is also sold not free) to cancer patients is certainly not akin to a snakeoil concoction promoted by charlatans as one guy is quoted. To me it makes perfect sense that drinking human milk would be helpful to ill adults, or healthy adults, for that matter. How helpful, in what way, or how much would be needed to have any noticeable effect, is of course unstudied.

My only concern with this is to wonder, with donated milk so scarce, this milk that might have better gone to fragile newborns. But that is of course an entirely separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*grand63mom View Post
    Is it true you can lactate after the age of 60? I have just started pumping and taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. How long will it take to start pumping milk?
    Hello , I was just interested to now how you were getting on with lactating . I am just coming up to 60 and have been on the road to lactating for the past 3 weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetdreams View Post
    Hello , I was just interested to now how you were getting on with lactating . I am just coming up to 60 and have been on the road to lactating for the past 3 weeks .
    well it hasn't been that successful, yet, for me. i tried just pumping and fenugreek for about 4 weeks but still just beads. then, i managed to get a script for domperidome and took that for 2 weeks before commencing pumping again, but still just beads. now i am thinking i should try progesterone but my gp won't give me a script (australia). feeling vexed. i will run out of dom in a week (80mg/day). anyone have any ideas or inspiring stories?

I tried goat's rue and that doubled my yield with hand-expressing to 2 large drops every 3hours. Then, I found a new gp who knew about the newman-goldfarb protocols and one week ago I started provera 2.5 with qid domperidone, no pumping. I couldn't resist checking after my shower today - sprays from both breasts. Hope this means things are happening even though my breasts don't feel as full as when I was pumping. So far I had a little insomnia and a mild headache for the first couple of days after commencing provera - no sign of personality change which I was worried about like when I tried oestrogen for menopausal symptoms.

Hi ladies,
    I am 55 and followed the goldfarb menopause protocol. Towards the end of it I couldn't help but check if anything was happening and could easily hand express in the shower about 10 sprays - I'm guessing a tablespoon in all. I thought this augured well, but, now that I am off the progesterone and pumping and hand expressing I'm not getting much - maybe 2 teaspoons for the whole day. The sprays stopped altogether a couple of days after ceasing progesterone and I was vexed - but then I read something about hypothyroidism and reduced oxytocin levels impacting on let-down. So I upped my thyroxine by 20mg and felt so much better and the sprays have started again, but unfortunately not as much as in the shower as above. I never get anything out with the pump (hospital grade) despite jiggling, massage, heat,turning pump suction up/down, using combination of let-down + feeding cycle on pump. Hand-expressing is the only way I get milk out, but I can feel marble-sized lumps in my breasts - milk? I am also on domperidone qid 2 tablets and fenugreek tds 2 tablets (working up to tdsx3 slowly).
    Someone suggested I might try an syntocinon nasal spray?
    Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?
    regards
    menolact