Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help very low milk supply since birth baby now 7 weeks

Unhappy Help very low milk supply since birth baby now 7 weeks

Hi I am a new Mummy to my second child a lovely little BOY now 7 weeks. I have a DD of 5.5 who I did not breastfeed tried and almost zero supply of milk and her significant weight loss led me to throw in the towel after a few days.
    I was determined not t do this again. William was born by emergency c section 7 weeks ago. I am 42 and had gestational diabetes . He was in nicu just for observation for a couple of hours and then was on the breast.
    I had him with me constantly in hospital and fed on demand. His weight decreased more than 10percent and although I fed and pumped it was obvious to all and sundry that there was very little milk. i was advised to both breast feed and then give him formula which I have been doing every feed for last 7 weeks.immediately after nursing he is either obviously still hungry or sleeps. When I try to diminsh formula he has lost weight. Whenever he cries I put him on the breast but I rarely hear much swallowing. I have been to see lactation consultants who advise me to continue but the milk has never really 'come in'.
    I also had bad post op infection for a month and due to double feeds, pain and stress slept very very little.
    Is there anything I can do to boost milk supply now? I am so keen to make it work. I drink water constantly, have tried special teas, galactogues, acupuncture and a couple of times there were signs of engorged breasts and following advice I garitte d my teeth and latch ed baby on but supply was the same.
    Using Medela hosp pump max I can make is pitiful 10-20 ml. Any advice gratefully received...thank you in advance

Default Re: Help very low milk supply since birth baby now 7 weeks

I had issues with supply though mine also had to do with DS having a tongue and lip tie.
    I never responded to the pump very well so wasn't able to get my supply up just by pumping.
    Once we got his tongue and lip tie taken care of (at 8 weeks) and got physical therapy (at 3 months) to get his milk transfer ability on track and I still wasn't able to bring my supply up just by pumping and herbs and oatmeal and water. I finally got domperidone (when DS was around 4-4.5 months) and it has worked well for me (we were finally able to stop supplementing and pumping by 6 months.)

You should probably also have your thyroid levels checked since that can impact milk production.

Have you looked into using a lactation aid or SNS to give the supplements right at the breast? That at least saves you the separate step of bottle feeding when you need to supplement. If it turns out that your thyroid is fine and even domperidone can't bring up your supply and you have IGT then you can still nurse with supplements using a SNS or Lactaid.

How often are you pumping?

*hugs*... I've been there. I was originally pumping 0.5oz total but now I'm doing 2-2.5oz per session. What's helped me was nursing on demand 24/7 (co-sleeping helps for night feeding) pumping 2-3 d per day and feeding him what I pumped and milk cookies. Well not really milk cookies, but oatmeal,flaxseed and brewers yeast. It does get better but it takes discipline and commitment! You can do this mama.. Never give up!

Thanks for your answers send encouragement. Will take your advice. Haven't really been pumping just feeding on demand. Should I pump too?

The most effective tool for increasing milk supply is generally going to be pumping after nursing as many times per day as you can manage. Also, you can offer to nurse even more frequently and do switch nursing.