Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mo Nursing strike ! Pls help.

Default 10mo Nursing strike ! Supply issues. Feeling lost. Pls help.

Has anyone of you experienced nursing strike by your LO, and were able to get over it? What did you do that helped, how did you get over it, how long it took? Pls pls help me. My now almost 10mo hasn't nursed since over 36h! The day before yesterday he nursed to nap during his late morning nap, and took solids after he woke up as usual. Then he started refusing to nurse during his late afternoon nap, that made me so nervous. I kept trying after giving him breaks as usual, but he didn't come around. I called a LLL leader who suggested I do skintoskin in bath tub, which I did but no luck! Last night I tried that again for an hr, and still nothing! I then laid down in bed with him topless, for another hr or more - still he didn't nurse. Pls help, I really want him to end this "strike". In the meantime I'm giving him expressed milk in sippy cup, but don't know how much should I give. I'm really confused as to what is going to help and what might make it worse. Pls share your experiences, pls help.

Here's an update: LO is till not latching on and I'm extremely sad about it. He seems to be getting used to the sippy cup coz its so much faster. I thought its (sippy cup) supposed to bring baby back to breast as it doesnt meet their sucking needs! LLL people suggested I switch to a sippy cup with slow flow valve, which I did and he still gets it much faster from that and doesnt seem interested in nursing. When he does come to the breast while Im pumping, he just bites the nipple and goes away, or asks for the bottle with expressed milk. At this stage Im EP and I have no idea how people that always EP carry on, coz my supply is being affected. Im taking fenugreek and Brewer's yeast but there doesnt seem to be an increase in supply. Im having to pump 30-45 min at times more to get one feed worth of milk, and its killing me coz I have no time left to spend with LO, or do anything else. Im on the verge of giving up, but am not coz it's gonna make me more depressed. I want to hold my baby and nurse him, so much that I cant express in words - I cry every day. Pls tell me this is going to end happily with my LO back nursing. Pls tell me I can still improve my milk supply. Pls tell me I dont have to supplemet with formula. Pls pls pls help me. Mommas that EP, pls share how you carry on, and how you keep up your milk supply. Mommas that have faced longer nursing strikes, pls share your stories. Im really looking for support. Pls.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by @llli*seattlemama; November 17th, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Updates added.

Default Re: 10mo Nursing strike ! Pls help.

Okay, so I am well aware that this suggestion will be much harder to LIVE than to TYPE (as are most things, right?), but I think perhaps the most important thing, is that whatever techniques you try, however and whenever nursing is offered, to do so in a relaxed and low-stress way. Babies, I think like all small creatures, are very highly attuned to the emotions of those around them. There was a while back that a woman was posting about a nursing strike (or something similar? Maybe her baby just wasn't nursing as much as usual?), and I remember her saying that she had success hanging out with baby in a comfy space, going shirtless, and just kind of playing with baby, waving a breast, waving a toy, pattycake on baby's thigh, pattycake on breast. She really made it just a fun game. Baby would latch on, latch off to get a toy, crawl back, latch on, crawl away, etc.

Edited to add: You mention expressed breastmilk in a sippy cup. During this time that baby has not been nursing, how frequently have you been expressing milk to maintain supply (and kind of to let your body know, 'hey! There's still a baby here that needs this milk!')?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erin.in.middletown View Post
    Okay, so I am well

Edited to add: You mention expressed breastmilk in a sippy cup. During this time that baby has not been nursing, how frequently have you been expressing milk to maintain supply (and kind of to let your body know, 'hey! There's still a baby here that needs this milk!')?
    Thanks for replying. I expressed four times yesterday. I'm offering him to nurse as often as he seems hungry, then when he refuses it (which he does) I offer him sippy cup, which he accepts but not happily. It is so sad to see him miserable while feeding, he used to be happy before when nursing, now feeding is not a happy thing for him. I hope more Moms are able to respond based on their experience (not that I wish anyone has gone through this tough phase, but if anyone has, pls share.)

My son went on a nursing strike just before he turned 11 mos. It was due to an ear infection & he went almost 3 full days without nursing. I was so stressed & worried! He has never been very interested in expressed milk in a cup or bottle but he did take some with his meals. I pumped & gave him EBM through a syringe, which he didn't like too much. I also kept it cold... all to encourage him to nurse. If he wanted warm milk quickly he was going to get it from me! Lol. I pumped as much as I could but pumping makes me pretty sore so I really wanted to get him back to nursing. I offered nursing at all of his usual times & would try both sides each time. We nursed in his room as usual. If he refused I just hugged him & didn't push it. I tried holding him right by my breast for his naps, hoping he'd latch & nurse in his sleep. He didn't; I think it was just too uncomfortable for him. When he cried/refused, I tried squirting milk in his mouth. He would just cry & push away...I really thought he was weaning & I was heartbroken. He showed no signs of weaning or dropping feedings before the ear infection, so I was totally caught off guard when he stopped nursing.

Finally, after almost 3 full days, he started nursing again. And went back to his old schedule. I did limit his solids some at that point to get him rehydrated & back on track. But he is almost 13 mos now & still nursing good luck mama, try to stay calm & not get frustrated. I know it's so hard though, and so sad for mommy. Also it helps to stay home if you can & just keep the routine as normal as possible. I really hope he comes back around for you!

It's been a few days since you posted, seattlemama-- how are things going?

Thanks for your response @juliasmomma, and thanks for checking in @erin.in.middletown. Lo is still not latching, only using sippy cup. I have been extremely extremely sad about this situation and am now on antidepressants. I'm pumping as often as I can, when I should really be playing with him and spending time with him - but where is the choice. In this situation, I need to be doing as much skin-skin with him, naps with him etc, but there is no time with all the pumping, and washing and keeping up! I offer to nurse from time to time, but he doesnt want to come even close to the breasts . After two weeks now of no nursing, and no signs, I don't know if I should be hopeful, or give up and move on. Id hate to have to give up, coz I miss nursing him, so bad. I'm really heartbroken at this point, and trying my best to hang in there. Id love to hear from Moms that faced a long nursing strike and how they brought their LO back to nursing.

Thanks to you all for reading.

My firstborn went on nursing strike for about 5 days (I think right after a cold). During those days, I pumped when I was supposed to nurse and feed the milk to him in a bottle immediately after. It was very exhausting physically and emotionally, as it was double the work to pump and feed, and also felt like he didn't love being with me anymore. But I stuck it out, and with no warning, he was back to normal, and I continued to breastfeed until he was over 2 years old. Offer the breast first, and pump if he still won't latch. I see that you've been at it for almost two weeks now? I hope the strike ends soon!

p/s: Is your antidepressant approved for breastfeeding? If not, you'll have to toss your milk out.

Many antidepressants are safe while nursing. If the OP has any concern whatsoever about it that her physician hasn't satisfactorily addressed, the kind folks over at InfantRisk can definitively handle questions of medication transfer into milk and its safety.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Have you got a sling/baby carrier Settle mama? If you have you can always stick baby in I'm just a diaper and keep them close while getting some other jobs around the house.... I had a friend whose lo striked and being in her ring sling with her topless just got him used to being near the breast again.

I've consulted my LC and LLL leaders before starting the antidepressant.

@bsua65: I do have an ergo, that i use from time to time, but LO just loves being on the ground so he can crawl and explore all he wants. He doesn't stay in the carrier for longer than a few minutes.

At this point, I'm struggling to keep my milk supply up. How do people that EP carry on - would love to hear from them.

This is all so stressful at the least. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone.