Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To get or not to get (a new pump)

Default Re: To get or not to get (a new pump)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sb View Post
    Can you share your experience with Hygeia? You said it took a while to get used to it? I'm not responding to it at all so am wondering if I need to switch back to Medela. Thank you!
    I have both a Medela (from baby #1) and a Hygeia (insurance covered baby #2). I prefer the Medela, but the Hygeia works okay. Since the Medela has a better tote bag I keep it at home and use it when I have to travel to alternative locations for work, which can be very often.
    Anyway, to the question, I find I need to have my Hygeia on a very high speed in order to respond. Unlike the Medela, there is no let down feature, so I put it on the highest speed and a lower suction to get started, but even then my let down takes longer and is less noticeable/forceful than with the Medela or with my baby. After milk starts flowing I can only turn the speed down slightly and increase the suction in order to keep the milk flowing. The speed I got used to with the Medela simply doesn't work. In summary, try it on high speed and adjust the suction from there and see what happens.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I had trouble getting the right flange size for a couple weeks. My supply tanked. But I was using the same size (27mm) with my Medela pump so was confused. But someone on here mentioned that the horns for Medela are longer and that makes a difference. I switched to those and have gotten a higher output overall than I have with my other pumps (although I guess that's hard to say for sure -- maybe I just have a better supply these days). Plus, the suction knobs do take a while to get used to, and I did get milk in the tubes once and was convinced it would happen every time. But it never happened again.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I have two Medela Freestyles. I got one with my second baby and another with my third baby from insurance. It is SO nice to be able to leave one at work. I will note that the one I have at home is the older one and it is definitely not as good anymore as the one at work. It isn't too bad since I don't pump at home much, but I recently took it on a trip with me and it was NOT the same as the newer one. That being said... get the new pump!