Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To get or not to get (a new pump)

Default To get or not to get (a new pump)

Hello Ladies

So... we are so very happy, we are expecting #2 due in May 2015!

I was just wondering... I BF'd my DD, now 2.5 yo, for about 18 months. I put the pump away at about 12 months, and then I just kept nursing at night and on weekends.

Anyway, my pump has been in a cabinet for a while, and I did use it a bunch, so I am sure is somewhat degraded. I was just planning on replacing the parts and using it again, but here's the thing. I recently changed jobs, and my new insurance company (which has a healthy pregnancy program) does pay for a double pump. So that made me think... well, if I can get a new one for "free" (yeah, we pay for it somehow I'm sure, we just believe is free, ha!) then I can just do that! But I don't want to just throw away the other pump. Or have two breast pumps.

I guess I could save the insurance (and myself) some trouble and money, and just replace the parts...

Any similar experiences you want to share? Or any thoughts?

Default Re: To get or not to get (a new pump)

I hear you, leemami- I like to avoid waste / consumption as much as the next lady...

But in this instance, I hope you'll get a new pump. It is so important for your pump to be in tip top shape, and the consequences of having a sub par pump are just no good, that I wouldn't risk it, if it were me. Would the new pump be of the same caliber as your old pump?

Is your old pump a single user model or a multi user model?

I was in the same position when #2 was born. I chose to order the new pump, just in case. However, I have been using the old one. I'm not quite sure why. It and I have a lot of history together, and I liked the carrying bag. But if I ever start to have problems, I have the new one on hand.

I actually have four pumps! I had one I bought with baby #1 (Ameda Purely Yours). Used that to pump for her while at work. Then my friend gave me a Medela PISA that she was finished with as a backup. With this baby, I took the free one (Purely Yours again) and bought a Hygeia (which I didn't like at first, but now I love it). I am probably going to ditch at least one of the original two, because neither seem so great now and I don't use them. I use my free one for pumping in the car and any time I need to pump at home, and then leave my Hygeia at work.

I say having backups is always a good thing. So take the free one, most definitely. Pumps break, things happen. I noticed that my new Purely Yours has much better suction than the old one, so it must have worn out without me really noticing.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Haha! I like that! - 'we have a lot of history together'!

I suppose that if your old pump continues to serve you just fine, it would be much easier to donate or gift the brand-new-in-box pump to a mama who could use it.

Original poster- it is my understanding that it isn't so much the parts that are the concern with prolonged use (although those need frequent changing too), but that the motor and machinery actually slowly degrade and become less efficient with time. Maybe someone can advise if this is correct, or no? And if it is correct, are there ways that one can have the suction strength / motor tested?

I am using the same pump I used with #1. It was in the closet for 3 years. I used it a lot too the first time. I didn't even order new parts, and it is working just fine. But if you choose to get a new one anyway, definitely keep the old one as back-up, because it's better to have extra than to have none when the new one has problem.

Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, I was more concern about the wearing of the motor and all that... plus I've read some about contamination? Like some milk can get in the pump itself and then you contaminate the new fresh milk... right? Is there a way to "disinfect" the old pump to avoid this?

Anyway... I guess I'll keep both pumps, I like the idea of leaving one at work. I remembered I forgot (ha!) the pump several times with #1 and I had to rush back home and waste time. So yeah...

And I liked the "it and I have a history together" too! @ngs215, that's the story of every mom that pumps for months for their babies...

I don't know which models will the insurance allow at this point - plus the only let you order a couple of months before the due date. I had a medela double pump, and it worked great until I stored it. No problems at all! Are there any better pumps out there?

@filmmommy- would you recommend a better brand than medela, since it seems you like to collect breast pumps? (just kidding!! ) Seriously, does anyone have experienced with different brands and recommends one or another? In case I have options?

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by @llli*leemami; October 30th, 2014 at 11:12 AM.

One of the huge criticism's of Medela is that their consumer pumps are single user, and have what is called an "open system". I read a really good article on this, and if I can find I again, I'll share. This type of system is the reason that it is possible for milk (and thus, mold) can get into the inner parts (motor etc), and fester there. BUT there is no way to know if there is mold in it, AND if there is, there is no way to clean it.

I think this was the article:

http://amywest.co/2011/01/19/the-problems-with-medela/

I actually like some things about all of my pumps. I currently like my Hygeia Enjoye, but it took a while to get used to it and they took over a month to send it to me. Plus, I had to start using Medela flanges to get a good milk output. I had to pay for that one, though, and it was pretty pricey. But I had mastitis twice within the first few months of nursing this little guy, so I wanted something powerful to get rid of them as needed. Plus, you can sell it or send it back for recycling, which you can't do with the other pumps since they're single-user.

I liked the simplicity of Medela PISA (just used a button after letdown, whereas with the Ameda and Hygeia you have to turn knobs). The Purely Yours seemed a little less powerful the first time around, but my second one seems a little better so far. But I had to change out the parts frequently with the first one since I used it all the time, and there would often be little issues with it (like the diaphragms wouldn't inflate totally). The Ameda seems best for pumping in the car, because it is small, has a place to put the bottles, and the knobs are easy to maneuver without looking (plus, it's dark when I drive to work).
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    I actually like some things about all of my pumps. I currently like my Hygeia Enjoye, but it took a while to get used to it and they took over a month to send it to me. Plus, I had to start using Medela flanges to get a good milk output. I had to pay for that one, though, and it was pretty pricey. But I had mastitis twice within the first few months of nursing this little guy, so I wanted something powerful to get rid of them as needed. Plus, you can sell it or send it back for recycling, which you can't do with the other pumps since they're single-user.

I liked the simplicity of Medela PISA (just used a button after letdown, whereas with the Ameda and Hygeia you have to turn knobs). The Purely Yours seemed a little less powerful the first time around, but my second one seems a little better so far. But I had to change out the parts frequently with the first one since I used it all the time, and there would often be little issues with it (like the diaphragms wouldn't inflate totally). The Ameda seems best for pumping in the car, because it is small, has a place to put the bottles, and the knobs are easy to maneuver without looking (plus, it's dark when I drive to work).
    Can you share your experience with Hygeia? You said it took a while to get used to it? I'm not responding to it at all so am wondering if I need to switch back to Medela. Thank you!