Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: eating every hour

Default Re: eating every hour

YAY for getting to latch without the nipple shield! And Co Sleeping!
    If you can take a few days to just do almost nothing other than nurse (nursing holiday) you may be able to get sorted out if she is seeming more satisfied already.

Hang in there, I know these sorts of things are hard. Hopefully the LC will have more help for you.

That's great about not using the shield! I think that could be the source of a lot of your issues- the biggest drawback with shields is that they can reduce/slow milk transfer, and that can make feedings take longer and happen more frequently.

I'm hoping the LC has more for me too. I've mainly been focused on nursing her, and switching breasts when she falls a sleep ( or changing diapers) and that also seems to have worked too.

Again the difference is just... huge. She's still feeding a lot more frequently, but it is starting to taper down. And she's going for longer, although i have to wake her up. But I finally have time now to pump if I'm not too exaghsted. and maybe it's just me, but i feel like our sessions are less stressed. it's like she's calmer ( aside from 'attacking' my breast) and I'm definitely calmer... there's a light at the end of the tunnel. But I certainly have to work on putting her down better ( sometimes I'l jar her awake moving my arm. ;/ d'oh)

I'm not sure about co sleeping, although we did it again tonight. She sleeps longer when we've done it, nice for me because I get more sleep, but then she misses out on feedings ( but she does wake up at some point for something.. so I guess her body knows what's up.

We'll try it again tonight and for one more nap time before i make a final decision on it.

But I want to thank you ladies again. I've read the articles and checked out the other links- i may look into a sling type carrier for now, i may be able to find a gently used one at least for cheap I think ( i'm a part of a lot of second hand/consignment groups for my area on Facebook). the T shirt idea is nice though, but we don't have any old shirts we could use right now. ( however on the same note, i could probably find some at goodwill)

the LC didn't call me back yesterday, so I'm hoping she will today. if not, tomorrow we have an 8am appointment where I can discuss all of this with her in person. I'll also keep a closer eye on the scale to see her weight changes if there are any before and after feedings.

Now that you are off the shield you may find that your supply increases more rapidly since baby is better able to nurse.

I'm hoping so.

So, yesterday the LC returned my call. She thinks it's a growth spurt that happened. Since my LO is playing catch up and everything still. Today we spoke to our regular LC and she also agreed it was a growth spurt. LO also Lost an Ounce so she was 7.6.
    She ate, and then was weighed again and weighed at 7ilb 7.9oz. So no, I'm presently not making enough milk.

That being said, because she was so use to taking so little then tiring out so soon, lo isn't really getting the idea that she can take more than what she's use to. So that could affect how much milk I am producing. but it's actually a relief to know what's going on, and have a better idea on how to make it better.

My LC changed my game plan a little. Instead of swapping between formula and breast milk when giving her the bottle ( btw. she tried the sns tube deal. and just as I had told her, my LO spits out the entire breast and *stops* eating when that tube is inserted, she got to see it first hand, so she recommended the bottle) stick with breast milk, then give her formula if she's still hungry.

So our feeding plan is:

Breast feed- switching breasts, changing diapers, burping to keep LO active
    Pump
    Bottle Feed with pumped milk
    Formula if she's still giving hunger cues.

Although I feel like all of that is easier said than done, it just means I'll really have to keep her awake, as she's really accustomed to snoozing after she's had her 'fill' ( which we've confirmed she's not actually getting)

She's latching better and better with out the shield as well. so that's a bonus as it'll take less time to get ourselves settled for feedings as well. So I'm hoping it's all up hill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cutiemark85 View Post
    I'm hoping so.

That being said, because she was so use to taking so little then tiring out so soon, lo isn't really getting the idea that she can take more than what she's use to. So that could affect how much milk I am producing. but it's actually a relief to know what's going on, and have a better idea on how to make it better.
    I've found that my little guy (now over 7 months) still doesn't take big meals and my storage capacity isn't big either so that means we are nursing very frequently during the day and at least several times at night. Not all babies drink more and more at a feeding. I wasn't able to do the nursing so frequently while I was also trying to supplement and pump but even then I generally couldn't get him to take much more than 2-2.8 oz max at a feeding and many feedings were only 1-1.7 oz. It wasn't until I had managed to increase my supply and basically decided to quit pumping and just try to nurse about every hour during the day that he started really gaining weight faster.

She's latching better and better with out the shield as well. so that's a bonus as it'll take less time to get ourselves settled for feedings as well. So I'm hoping it's all up hill from here.
    That is great that she is latching better and hopefully that trend continues to improve. Being able to nurse without the shield should help her get more milk quicker without tiring out as fast as well as helping your supply AND just being easier in general.

a side note, did you ever try taping the SNS tube in place and then latching baby with the tube in place? (I realize this may not work for everyone) I noticed my LO didn't like my trying to slip the tube in after he was latched and when I did that he would often unlatch and fuss so I normally had the tube taped in place (a pain in and of itself since my skin reacted to even the hypoallergenic tape for sensitive skin.)

we have tried taping it down, putting it in her mouth while she's latching, and then just putting it in when she's already latched. She won't take it. She doesn't seem to have trouble going back and forth between the nipple and the bottle though. but she does seem to have trouble with formula: she kind of lags when she has it, versus when the bottle is full of breast milk, she doesn't hesitate to drink all of it up.

but otherwise...her weight should start going up again.

Have you tasted the Formula? Breastmilk is definitely nicer to drink.

Well as long as the bottles are given in a paced manner to avoid flow preference then going back and forth with bottles does have some benefits over messing with the tubes. Hopefully you will get weaned off the need to supplement soon in any case.

lol. I have actually tasted formula. and breast milk does taste better imo.

I also hope we eventually can wean off of needing to supplement as well, but then bottle is only after she's had both breasts, if she's asking for more. Although today, in her asking for more, she seemed un interested in the bottle, she wanted to go back to the breast- which I had no problem with, so I just gave her the breast.

This has honestly been one long journey, I'm lucky to have a really amazing place to come and bring my concerns. You all have been, amazing.

I do have a question though for you ladies. not necessarily topic related, but since we have a good flow here, I thought I'd ask:

After lo eats and i pump now, seems like my out put is less and less than before. I compress while i pump to help get any milk out but i maybe bring in about 16 MLS or so.

is that because of her having had at before? or is that just my normal out put now?