Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: eating every hour

Default Re: eating every hour

also, I'm curious:

though I don't mind holding my lo all the time, every one swears by sleeping when she sleeps. i'm a bit at a loss, for during the day at least how to do that if i'm holding her. I know that sounds dumb, but I know I need to nap during the day, otherwise I start falling a sleep with her while feeding at night.

I am so sorry you are going through this! We had a similar story to this a few months back and for us my DD wasn't latching correctly or using her tongue properly post division.

We had an awesome IBCLC who showed us how to do breast compressions, breast sandwich and the 'flipple' as well as varying her position to achieve a deeper latch.

Has your LC helped with latch at all? You may be able to see a speech therapist to give oral therapy to help with suck issues too. We used the tongue walk and suck training shown to us by our LC but I know at least one lady on here managed to see a speech therapist via her health insurance/WIC (sorry am British so I don't fully understand the US system).

Fixing her latch/suck issues will help you move away from the nipple shield and I wish we had had support from a decent LC sooner than we did (it was the 4 month mark for us)

If you don't feel your LC is helping enough, see if you can see another!

Re carriers if you are on a tight budget but wamt to try a sling, there is a t-shirt hack (https://m.facebook.com/Mamasphere/photos/a.393419050787541.1073741828.324341727695274/475831365879642/?type=1) suitable for younger babies you can try, or a stretchy wrap works well and they are usually pretty cheap too

Re: sleeping while baby sleeps during the day

Do you currently co-sleep?

If not, is there a mattress that can be made safe for co-sleeping? You wouldn't need to commit to this for night time, you wouldn't even need to commit to this for nap times forever, but side lying nursing was a godsend to me in those early weeks. It allowed me to nurse baby to sleep, and then to just scoot a little bit away to rest my eyes myself.

About Sleeping/napping with baby.
    There is a Sweet Sleep book by the LLL about safe co sleeping since breastfeeding moms need to sleep and making your bed a safe place to share with baby is far better than passing out while sitting up holding baby!!!! Hopefully someone will post a link here for you since I can't find it quickly enough at the moment.

I went through months of breastfeeding issues. My LO lost over a pound by the time he was 5 days old and we had to supplement with formula. Unfortunately my Ped didn't believe in tongue tie so I actually suffered 8 weeks before we managed to get his tongue and lip ties fixed (out of pocket and a 2 hour drive to the pediatric dentist to get it done.) Unfortunately simply getting them corrected didn't fix all the issues because there was muscle tightness and weakness in his mouth and he still wasn't able to efficiently transfer milk. But our WIC office got a new IBCLC about the time my LO was turning 3 months old and she and the other counselor I had worked with there helped me find a speech therapist who had experience with oral motor therapy with breastfeeding infants. She also took our insurance and I just needed to get the Dr office with write a referral for it which they did. I saw the speech pathologist for 6 weeks (once or twice a week) and she would work with my son and teach me exercises to do with him a certain number of times each day till our next visit and we would nurse before the end of the appointment, she was great too, we always had a good time chatting as well.

I didn't respond well to the pump so by the time my Son could transfer milk well my supply had not kept up, I finally had to get Domperidone. I was lucky to pump a total of 30 ml in a pumping session after nursing, usually it was far less. Even pumping when baby hadn't nursed I usually only got 30 ml though I know my supply wasn't that bad because weighted feeds showed that it was possible to sometimes get 3 oz into him at a feeding.
    Anyway, we managed to get off the supplementing and pumping by the time DS was 6 months old and he is now over 7 months and climbing the charts (was about the 5th percentile before 6 months and is now about the 20th percentile for weight.) He does still tend to eat hourly during the day but he can do it in under 5 minutes when he wants to or he sometimes likes to take an hour long booby nap.

The baby carriers are a great idea to avoid the screaming baby that hates to be put down but that doesn't really help you pump. Screaming about being put down is totally NORMAL and healthy for a newborn, just makes it hard to pump. I actually made some rice bags out of old pant legs so I could warm them a little on a heating pad and then have them in the crib to place against DS to help him stay asleep when I put him down so I could pump for ten minutes. (the warm weight against him helped keep him from feeling like he was alone so he would stay asleep a little better when not in contact with the warm mommy body.) Otherwise the crib is an elevated playpen(baby cage that he doesn't much like) since we co sleep at night.

I hope some of this info helps you out. There are plenty of moms here who totally understand what you are going through. It isn't easy having a newborn even when things are going perfectly so when you are dealing with breastfeeding issues it can be totally consuming. Hang in there.

We currently do not co sleep.We have a semi firm mattress ( it was our old mattress, and currently, I sleep downstairs with baby. our house gets very hot and the heat rises, so down stairs has been cooler during the day and night for us both). I've read some articles on co sleeping...i'm nervous about it, and don't really have to resources to buy any extra gear ( like a co sleeper or stuff like that).

I tried side nursing, and that did not go well. i haven't tried again.

There's nothing wrong with my current LC. She's been wonderful, and I see her again on friday.

sorry. I'm a touch out of it. I finally got her down so I can pump, and I still have not really had a nap just yet. ( she's awake though, just content.)

Here is a link to the sweet sleep tearsheets http://www.llli.org/sweetsleepbook/tearsheets
    You don't necessarily need to buy anything. If your mattress is firm enough that baby isn't going to automatically sink in or get suffocated against you as soon as you lye down next to her then it is probably good.

And keep trying different things since what works with nursing can change as baby grows and develops so just because it didn't work last week doesn't mean it won't work next week.

now i'm starting to worry. she just had 90 mlx of formula. and she's wailing. she's still giving me hunger cues. I tried seeing if she just wants to suck, but she wants to eat....

I'm afraid if she has anymore she'll violently spit up or just make herself sick. she also hasn't napped in six hours. I just can't get her to rest.

edit: Sorry, i panicked.

her diaper out put is normal. Since she had a hard time nursing in the beginning, she's probably playing catch up. as far as this goes, I'm going to call in the morning to her Dr's office just to double check. but i think she'll be fine...I just need to keep feeding her. But i'd also like her to rest a bit...
    Last edited by @llli*cutiemark85; October 29th, 2014 at 01:30 AM.

Re: sleeping

A blog that has been really helpful for me in regards to understanding normal / natural infant behavior, particularly sleep, is Evolutionary Parenting. She has many posts on sleep, and one co authored series of articles that was also published by Psychology Today.

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/nor...-sleep-part-i/

The links to the next articles should be at the bottom of this Part One post.

Would you be willing to give side lying another shot? I feel like in these early weeks they are changing their preferences and abilities so frequently, that how something went even this morning may not be an indicator of how it will go tonight, you know? If you are open to learning more and considering co sleeping, the Sweet Sleep book would be awesome to check out. I have not read it, but t has great reviews. Do you have a local La Leche group? The leader may have a copy you can borrow.

Re: carrier

Any carrier that you can wear with comfort for yourself and your baby can be a Game Changer! I'm glad you've been able to get one. If for some reason it isn't working for you, I really encourage you to not give up on baby wearing, but to just keep trying. Is there a local babywearing group? (If you aren't sure, your local LL leader may also know if there is!). They could give you pointers, or might even have a lending library of slings, wraps, etc. I have found that people who love babywearing are almost universally so excited to be able to share their knowledge, and often their old carriers, with new moms because they know how life changing it can be, especially in those early months.

Many places also have groups that work to help donate/share the babywearing love, and this could be really helpful for any family working with a budget. The two metro areas I've been familiar with since having my baby have had these sort of non profit efforts.

Louisville's Mama to Mama (they do other things too, like volunteer doula work etc):
    http://mamatomama.us

Dayton's Heart to Heart Sling Share (a church ministry):
    http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/li...#__federated=1
    (Side note-- this lady seems awesome! She's been a LL leader for 52 years, and a lactation consultant for WIC, and ALSO sews slings for new moms!)

My LO would fight sleep like it was killing him. I would check diaper and try to feed but he would often just be crying like he wanted something or was hungry but he really just wanted to sleep but was having trouble giving in. He even still does it sometimes where he will cry and fuss until he latches on for a booby nap.

As for hunger cues, I don't know that I've ever really learned my sons hunger cues since we had the troubles with weight gain I am often sticking a boob in his mouth long before he cues. Now days the sure sign of hungry is when I pick him up on my hip and he lunges for the other breast and trys to latch on (even through the shirt if it happens to be in the way.)

update from last night:

We co slept. it helped me get a little more sleep and also I was able to continue to feed her with out much trouble. She's still eating just about every hour. but she's starting to seem more and more satisfied- after I was able to get her to latch with out the nipple shield.

i did call the Dr's office. they don't see anything wrong, but they also want me to call lactation, so I did and I'm waiting to hear back. basically though, they said it's not a 'medical' problem, but it's more of a latching on lactation issue.

i think if we can keep up not using the nipple shield...it may work out. i'm not putting all my eggs in one basket just yet, but the behavior difference is something to be happy about.