Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie: Adoptive mama-to-be wants to BF

Default Newbie: Adoptive mama-to-be wants to BF

Hi, there! I'm reaching out to see if there are any like-minded gals on this page. I've never been pregnant, but we are hoping to adopt a newborn soon, and I want to BF. I've read encouraging things about adoptive moms having success with induced lactation, so I plan to start pumping soon and see what happens.

I'd be grateful for any advice, support and/or experiences you've had to help me on this journey!

Default Re: Newbie: Adoptive mama-to-be wants to BF

Welcome to the forum! I hope your adoption journey is a successful and happy one.

Since you're thinking of starting to pump soon, let's talk pumps and frequency! What sort of pump do you have and how often are you planning to use it? Are you considering using drugs to jump start lactation?

I was planning to get a Medela Pump in Style but am wondering if the PISA would be better for any reason? A friend is selling both for waaaay cheap... Thoughts?
    Frequency- every 3-4 hours while awake.
    I wasn't going to pursue drugs just yet because our LO is probably several months/year away.

Unless those pumps are pretty much new in box, I would invest in a new PISA. Better tools = better results, and used pumps are often pretty worn, particularly if they have been used for a year or so. In fact, if/when you're pretty sure you've been matched with a baby, I would recommend going out and getting a hospital-grade rental pump with correctly sized shields and using that as you work to bring in maximum supply.

Since you have time until your baby arrives, a 3-4 hour frequency sounds like a good way to start. If that doesn't get results, increase your frequency and add in some sessions overnight.

You might want to look into the drug protocol now, even though your baby is still a ways off. Take some time to evaluate the way it works, and if that's right for you, and find a doctor or midwife who is willing to work with you when/if the time comes and you want to take it. It would stink if you decided you wanted to try it and then couldn't find a doctor willing to prescribe it for you, right?

Soooo helpful, mommal!
    I really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like purchasing a used pump might end up in frustration--- stronger suction = higher production?

Stronger suction isn't necessarily the road to higher production. Some moms actually respond better to lower suction. But a used pump is likely to have less power and that usually means less suction and less stimulation.

One important thing to remember about pumping is that frequency is almost always the most important element of milk production for an exclusively pumping mom. If you're looking for something to max out, go for frequency. Suction and duration of pumping matter less.

The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine has a podcast, searchable in the iTunes app (and presumably probably just on their website too!) that has an episode on adoptive breastfeeding (and many other interesting topics that may be of interest!).

I would also suggest research lactation aids (Medela SNS, LactAid, or homemade.) Many adoptive moms are indeed able to produce milk, but whether they will ever make enough to feed baby entirely or to do so right away is a different story. Some do, some do not. A lactation aid allows baby to be supplemented as needed at the breast, so baby and mom continue to get the wonderful benefits of nursing at the breast while mom works on her production or even if she does not make quite enough. Plus baby nursing at the breast even with a supplementer is better for milk production.

I strongly suggest that, within reason, don't let cost defer you from getting what is going to increase your likelihood of being able to breastfeed. If the cost of buying a new pump or renting a pump feels prohibitive, think about this...babies are expensive, but we tend to spend money on the wrong things. Almost everything on the typical new baby list from clothing to changing table to strollers can almost certainly be acquired for free as hand me downs or gifts, or for very cheap second hand. But in most cases, no one is going to get you what you really need to breastfeed- A new pump that is in impeccable working order (or a rented hospital grade pump) and a lactation aid, and perhaps a consultation or two with a good lactation consultant. So spend your money there is my suggestion.

You gals are all awesome! Thank you for taking the time to share such valuable info with a newbie.
    Me (33) DH (40)
    TTC since 2011/ PCOS
    Adoption certification pending!

Update: I spoke with my insurance company, and they 100% cover a new pump every 36 months with an Rx. Therefore, I won't be buying my friend's used pump! I have an appt with my doc to chat about induced lactation, and I'm crossing my fingers he'll be receptive because this clinic is an all-natural-won't-even-prescribe-hormonal-BC kinda place.
    Until then, I'm doing manual massage several times a day because I read that was the way to start!

Will try to keep this thread updated in case my fellow paper-preggo-mamas are following... hugs and luck to everyone, whatever their challenges may be!
    Me (33) DH (40)
    TTC since 2011/ PCOS
    Adoption certification pending!