Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oversupply/allergy problem, nipple shield frustration (long)

Default Re: Oversupply/allergy problem, nipple shield frustration (l

[QUOTE

Do you think I should be waking her more at night to eat?
    [/QUOTE]

I think more frequent nursing helps overall with forceful letdown issues, because the less time there is for milk to build up in the breast, the less forcefully it flows out. So if that "first" session after the long sleep is problematic, nursing during that stretch may help. It is not necessarily needed as long as the one long sleep stretch is in the 5-6 hour range and not longer. Also, fast letdown aside, when mom is back at work it is important to encourage baby to nurse as much as baby will when mom is home, but not at the expense of you getting that type of a sleep stretch. No harm in encouraging more nursing between when you get home and go to bed.

I also want to reassure you that more frequent nursing is not going to increase milk production beyond normal. If a mom has low production, frequent feedings AND nursing both sides at a time usually help increase production, but in the case where production is overabundant, frequent feedings allowing baby to take ONE side at a time as baby prefers, won't. Why? Because a baby needs a certain amount of milk each day (it will vary slightly day to day of course) but what I mean is, if the feedings are closer together, baby will eat less each time to get the overall amount they need for that day. They won't take MORE than they need, and since the frequent nursing helps with the fast letdown, it will also help baby take a smaller amount when they nurse because the milk will not be coming like a firehose. SO there is not actually more milk overall being taken from the breasts...it might even be less, then if a mom with forceful letdown nurses less frequently. Make sense? Frequent feeding is a tried and true solution for forceful letdown issues.

OK, great I will nurse more often when I'm home, then.

Somewhat related: My husband reports that DD consumed 6 ounces in a single feeding today, went to sleep for 30 minutes, woke up hungry and had 2 more ounces before she was sated. He does paced feedings and there was only a very small amount of spit up. He thinks maybe because she was in that eat/spit up cycle with me that that trained her to think if she is awake, she should be eating. He always thinks what I see as hunger signs are suspect and maybe she wants something else. Could she be taking more than she needs from the bottle even with paced feedings?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ciantarah View Post
    He thinks maybe because she was in that eat/spit up cycle with me that that trained her to think if she is awake, she should be eating. He always thinks what I see as hunger signs are suspect and maybe she wants something else.
    Lucky moms know better, right? Pretty typical for non-mom caregivers to think that the baby needs "something else". But moms know that pretty much all needs can be filled at the breast, and they always know their babies' hunger cues better than the non-nursing parent. And even if a baby does want "something else", it doesn't hurt to offer the breast.

Could she be taking more than she needs from the bottle even with paced feedings?
    Yes. The bottle delivers a fast, constant flow of milk, as opposed the ebb and flow rhythm of the breast. And while flow from the breast will slow or stop when the baby transitions from active, nutritive sucking to gentle, erratic comfort sucking, the flow from the bottle will remain constant regardless of what sort of sucking the baby is doing. Can dad swap in a paci when the baby has had around 4 oz? That might cut down on overeating from the bottle.

Yes I agree suggest dad try pacifier or some other comfort measure if baby is not settling after a normal sized feeding. Nursing is as much about comfort as it is about the milk, but bottles are entirely about milk. When a breastfed baby is fussy and mom is there, it never hurts to offer to nurse and ask questions later...if baby is NOT settled by nursing, then other things can be tried. it is a bit different when mom is not there, as A baby may well try to comfort suck with a bottle and this results in overfeeding. So if baby is getting plenty of milk, other comfort measures will help avoid overfeeding.

He thinks maybe because she was in that eat/spit up cycle with me that that trained her to think if she is awake, she should be eating.
    I will have to add this to my list of weird stuff breastfeeding is blamed for!

Seriously I also think there is probably no reason to worry about one 6 ounce bottle or one day of baby eating more via bottle- it happens and may well be fine. I don't want to tease dad, I am sure he is doing a great job. It is hard to take care of a baby without the secret comforting weapon of nursing.

some fussy baby ideas for dad to try? : http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf My husband has his own sling in a gentlemanly gray shade and settled all our kids beautifully just walking around the house doing his thing with them in the sling.