Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk from each breast is a different color??

Question Milk from each breast is a different color??

The milk from my left breast is white like 2% cows milk but the milk from the right breast is tinted with a chalky yellow color. Both smell and taste the same as far as I can tell. Should I be worried about this? Which one is normal? Can I still nurse and feed pumped milk from the yellow side?

Default Re: Milk from each breast is a different color??

Hi there!

How old is your baby?

It's normal for breastmilk to vary in color a bit! The yellow makes me think your baby is still very young and you maybe still have a bit of colostrum mixed with milk. But sometimes the things you eat can affect it too.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My DD is 2 months old and EBF!

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you! I did a bit of research and found these two links:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/color.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

As long as you're not having any pain, fever or flu-like symptoms, it's probably just caused from something you're eating.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

Smile Re: Milk from each breast is a different color??

After drinking too much Blue Gatoraid for too many days in a row I now have Blue tinted milk!! It is too Funny!

I looked at it under a microscope and the only difference I can see is the tint! Pretty funny!

wow! blue milk! have you tried lots and lts of carrots?

I thought when you have blue milk is because its bad. The same thing happened to my friend, Fatima.

I thought when you have blue milk is because its bad. The same thing happened to my friend, Fatima.
    Nope, breastmilk does not go bad inside the breast. Breastmilk can occasionally change color due to a breast infection, but in most cases it is actually recommended that the mother continue nursing through the infection. See the link I posted above for more information!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    wow! blue milk! have you tried lots and lts of carrots?
    I have tried lots of carrots and Yes the milk was slightly orange. I know someone who fed their baby lots of carrots when it first started eating solids and the baby turned orange-ish!! (it went away in a week).