Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain while nursing

Default pain while nursing

My dd is 1 week old and I have been in pain while nursing her since leaving the hospital. My nipples are scabbed and it hurts so bad when she latches on that I dread nursing her. I think any positioning problems were solved at the hospital but the pain hasn't gotten any better. My pediatrician recommended using breast shields so that she doesnt' actually touch my nipple while she nurses. It doesn't help the pain at all. I tried pumping but it took me a long time to get 2 oz and then she still wanted to nurse after my husband fed her. On top of the nipple pain during latching on, tonight my nipples burned for about a half hour after the feeding. Any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Default Re: pain while nursing

Oh, that sounds dreadful! Nipple pain is just excruciating; I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

This kind of ongoing damage to your nipples is usually the result of latch and/or positioning problems. It's good that you got some help with positioning in the hospital, but if everything had been fixed then, your nipples would have healed by now.

I strongly urge you to contact a board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) and/or a local LLL Leader. Evaluating and correcting latch/positioning problems really requires a hands-on consultation; it's hard to do much over the internet, as we can't see you and the baby.

If the problem is not your positioning or latch technique, then there may be something unusual going on with the structure of the baby's mouth, or you may have thrush, or there may be other problems. This kind of severe nipple pain and damage to the skin is NOT a normal part of learning to breastfeed, and it won't go away on its own. It IS correctible if you get the right help.

Make some phone calls today and try to get seen ASAP. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

--Rebecca

hbriana,
    Congrats on your new arrival!

The soreness upon latch on probably indicates a problem with baby's latch and/or positioning. Latch can look fine from the outside, but if it's painful, something isn't right.

Soreness after nursing could be due to pain from the trauma to your nipples. It could be other things as well, but the cracks in your nipple makes pain from the damage already done the most likely.

When your baby comes off the breast, what does you nipple look like? Is it mishapen? Do you see any creases? Discoloration?

What (if anything) are you doing to treat the cracks?

Is your baby having plenty of output? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

All of the above posts were great advice! I just wanted to say that I hope you get to feeling better!

As above posters have said, there are various possible reasons for this and you would need it checked. Just want to say, hang in there! I found breastfeeding very painful for the first nine weeks, and was often about to give up, but then it suddenly all fell into place. It can be a hard, hard time, but you'll feel very proud if you stick it out. Best of luck to you!

Brianna, I can relate with you on the amount of pain you are feeling. I actually had what appeared to be a 'plug' of skin missing from my nipple when I came home from the hospital. (It grew back, so not to worry) I contacted the hospital lactation consultant and every manual I could find. Every time she latched on it hurt so bad that I curled my toes. My advice is to get help and reassurance from people who are supportive of your decision to breastfeed and then persevere.Like the previous poster, my pain went on for several weeks, but it is all worth it. The pain really does go away and when it does you would never consider feeding your baby any other way. I was actually jealous of the bottle when we had to get her ready for daycare. (expressed breast milk) She is now a healthy six month old and when she pulls away and smiles at me with that milky grin I just melt. I think I read this somewhere and I am just paraphrasing but keep this in mind. Giving up in the early weeks is like waiting for hours in a reeeaaaally long line to get in to the hottest show in town and then giving up right as the show is about to start. You would have experienced all of the pain and none of the joy.

Also, throw away those formula samples from the hospital immediately!!! They will only tempt you to give up. I was diehard committed and I still broke down and opened one up. Luckily my daughter didn't want it.

For a couples weeks after having my first, now 16 months, I had problems also. I found that changing positions did not help right away, or at least it did not seem to, but then after my nipples had healed it worked really well.

Have you tried using any nipple cream? If you are cracking or bleeding like I was, this will help. I used the Lansinloh brand I think. Just hoping that will help you...