Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby feeds only 5 minutes

Smile baby feeds only 5 minutes

Hi, my dtr is 8 days old now. I messed up at first by switching between bf and formula. i didn't have the energy after giving birth to keep have her room in the first 2 nights.so i told the nurses to give her formula. i did bf the first night though. she ate for 10 min. i've never been able to get her to eat for more than 10 min. at a time. I think she got some nipple confusion. it's been a day and a half since her last bottle and she's doing much better latching on.
    Anywayz, my problem is she seems to only want to eat for 5 minutes. So i spend over an hour trying to waker her up and get her to feed again(i get her awake but she falls asleep as soon as i get her on the breast)an hour later she'll eat for another 5 minutes, but that's it. feedings took 1 & a half hours just to get in 10 minutes.
    So last night after reading some material(it said that some babies only eat 5 minutes), I made a decision that if she'll only go 5 min, then i'll attempt for a bit to get her to feed some more, but then i'll just go back in 1 to 2 hours and feed another 5 minutes. and not spend 1 hour being frustrated sleepy & anxious.
    Every since then, i've been calm. and she seems to wake up on her own in 1-2 hours ready to eat. do you'll feel she's ok only eating 5 min at a time. she definetly gets over 6 wet diapers a day, and over 5 poopy diapers a day. and seems satisfied after eating. she weiged 6 lbs 3 oz at birth and only lost 2oz's in the hosp. i'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this. also i was induced at 38 weeks b/c of mildy high blood pressure.
    i know i have plenty of milk, b/c i can get it to drip out even before she eats.
    sorry so long =) any input is helpful

Default Re: baby feeds only 5 minutes

Congratulations on your daughter's birth!

Rule of thumb -- watch the baby, not the clock. If she's making plenty of wet and poopy diapers and is growing, and if she nurses with long sucks and swallows that you can see or hear and comes off the breast contented ... then she's doing fine.

If you want to keep her awake and actively nursing a little longer, try breast compressions when she starts to doze off. An extra little gush of milk will probably trigger her to swallow and start nursing again. You can also try changing her diaper between breasts to wake her up for her "second course." But as long as she's staying hydrated and nursing well at least 8-12 times in every 24-hour period, then don't stress about how long she is feeding.

Good work, Mom! Don't hesitate to post again with any other questions or concerns you might have.

--Rebecca

Also I wanted to add that sometimes you can support their chin and that will help them stay on and nurse longer! Best of luck!

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that my daughter is a 5-minute nurser too

She is big on short 3 - 5 minutes "snacks" at the breast, before falling asleep, or pulling away satisfied. What she falls short in "duration", she makes up for it in frequency, feeding every 1 - 1.5 hours in the daytime. When she grew bigger, she started having a couple of longer feeds in the day (as her stomach capacity increases), lasting 15 - 30 minutes. But the 5-minute feeds still continues

And likewise, she was doing alright on the nappy/ poo count. And has been gaining well (she's 9 weeks now).

Hope that's heartening for you to know

Hello:

I'm glad I read your post b/c my 2 week old is also a short nurser. I was beginning to get a little concerned because she often feeds for about 5-7 min. and then another 5-7 upon burping or using some other “wake up” technique. She has very regular bowel and wet diapers so I believe she is getting nutrition. I was just concerned about the length of time and whether she is getting the good “hind” milk I have read about.

My milk too is leaking before she gets latched on. I was just concerned about the hind milk.

Leslie

My dd#3 is almost 7 mos and she is still a 5 minute nurser! I was concerned at first because my other girls took their time. I guess dd#3 is just a good little sucker.

In the early days, we found the feed-change-feed routine useful, too.

I was a bit puzzled when my son only nursed 5-10min at a time, because my daughter was very regularly 30 min on the breast each time. But each baby is different, and he is a right whopper, so no concerns there. If your baby is happy, don't worry too much. She might just be a very efficient nurser. Also, your milk supply is established not so much by the length, but by the frequency of feeds.