Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems nursing 20 month old

Default Problems nursing 20 month old

Hi ladies,
    I am currently nursing my 20 month old daughter. She was born with tongue tie and a high arched palate. Her tongue was corrected at nine days and we have had a fairly successful bf relationship. Her latch was always a but shallow but nothing to cause any problems.

About a month ago the larch in my left side started to get really uncomfortable. I tried all sorts but nothing helped. I have now ended up with a huge crack and mastitis. I am so sore, it's excruciating when she feeds.

I know I have to continue to feed from the left to help clear the mastitis but can I then just feed from the right when it's better? I doubt I will be able to correct her latch on the left and I honestly can't take the pain it causes any more

Any advice would be really welcome

Thanks x

Default Re: Problems nursing 20 month old

It is certainly possible to nurse with just one breast though it may take some time to transition since you can't just quit removing milk from that breast cold turkey or you will just wind up sick again. I suppose you could pump the bad side and slowly wean off that side using the pump and letting her have bottles of the pumped milk until your good side increases production enough to support 100% of needed production. You will likely be a bit lop sided but most of us are to an extent.

Can you describe the crack a bit? When a mom makes it through the newborn period crack-free and then has cracks much later on, the problem is usually not the baby's latch. Much more likely to be thrush or bacterial infection.

Thanks for the replies.

The crack is very red and sometimes bleeds when I feed. The latch started to get uncomfortable and gradually the pain got worse. I've been using lansinoh to try and help it heal

How big is the crack?
    Where on the nipple is it located- is it on the tip of the nipple, or somewhere else?
    Is the crack a single straight (more or less) line that gapes wider after the baby feeds, or is it more of a slit-like appearance? Is it a forking multi-crack that radiates around the nipple?
    Do you feel like the crack is forming where the baby's teeth hit when he nurses?