Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you get the EBM bottle ready in time?

Default how do you get the EBM bottle ready in time?

My DS takes his usual practice bottles a couple times a week since I am going back to work in January. so far his practice bottles are to practice taking a bottle not a practice feeding, does that make sense? What I mean is that we get the bottle ready and give it to him in between feedings so he is more calm (not just woke up screaming ready to eat)
    We recently tried giving my boyfriend a trial run for when I will not be home- giving him a bottle as a regular feeding.

For the "trial" it didn't work at all because when he woke up, very hungry and ready to eat, my boyfriend had to then warm up the bottle which just made DS more irritable having to wait and I ended up feeding him. (he didn't even want the bottle when he was that upset).

I'm not sure if this makes sense , but how do we go about getting bottles ready in time for when he will be hungry? He eats on demand so he really could be hungry at any moment. Then I thought about Daycare and what he will go through if he has to wait and rejects the bottle. Anyone have insight?

Default Re: how do you get the EBM bottle ready in time?

as far as daycare goesi can't tell you what they are going to be willing to do, but at home one thing that helps me is expressed breastmilk is ok at room temp for 4 hours so i often pump and just leave it out. LO will almost always eat within 4 hours except maybe at night. whenever i go somewhere i always pump right before i leave and just leave the bottle out for DH. I don't know what a daycare is goign to do though or if you pump enough in one pump to make an entire bottle, but that is what i do.

Good question!! My LO is impatient and wants it Now too! I'm going back to work in Jan as well so I look forward to seeing what people say. The PP's suggestion is good for at home but I too will have the day care issue...
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I'm sure others will have MUCH more advice than I do; I can only speak to the few bottles of EBM that DD has had over time. When DH had to give her the bottle, he never warmed it up, just took it from the fridge, swirled and go. See if your LO will take some cold mommy milk and you might have solved your problem HTH and I hope others can shed some light on your situation

we tried that once in a practice bottle, and he took a huge breath in and held it like it shocked his little body and just stared.... so I dont' know if I want to go that route. maybe in a few months he would take a liking to it, so I will keep that in mind.

My DD takes it cold from the fridge, too. She kinda makes a face at first... not upset, just confused... but then she drinks it.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

To reassure everyone about daycare...most infants are on some sort of a schedule of their own once they are old enough to go to daycare. So, if you'll tell the provider what time baby last ate, they'll know about what time to have the bottle ready, and can get it warming in time.

As for taking a bottle for practice, it often helps if the mother isn't around. Sometimes, the mom can't even be in the house!

For more tips on getting baby to take a bottle, please read this link: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

thanks for the info on daycare. Maybe it was misunderstood but my DS does take a bottle with no problem, the question was how to get the bottle ready in time so he doesn't have to wait and in the meantime get upset about it. Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the confusion, the bottle info was for another mother who chimed in on this thread!

You should be able to at least get a rough idea of when baby will want to eat. If it's been two hours since the last meal, you'll know he needs to eat within the next hour or so (except at night). So, you can get it out and warming then. Breastmilk will keep for several hours out of the fridge, so you've got some time to play with. As long as nothing touches the bottle nipple, it can be put back in the fridge for use another time.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!