Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about supplimenting with formula

Default question about supplimenting with formula

I am away from home for 11 hours a day (work + drive time) and I pump 5 times a day. My 4 month old was doing fine with getting 4 4oz bottles a day at daycare, but now they are saying he isn't getting enough. Should I send a bottle of formula and ask them to save it for the end of the day and only use it if needed or should I mix formula with BM so he gets a little of each at each feeding? OR should we just keep sending the same amount as we always have?

Default Re: question about supplimenting with formula

I'd ask for more information about the situation before sending in more milk. Why do they think he's still hungry? Are they mis-reading cues? Or is he finishing the bottle faster? Maybe the bottle nipples need to be replaced - the holes can open with use and washing, making baby go through the milk faster.

If you do decide to send in supplemental formula, consider putting the formula in a separate bottle, so if baby doesn't finish the bottle, they are throwing away just formula, not milk that you've worked so hard to provide.

Most infants in daycare need 1-1.5oz of milk for each hour they are separated from their mother, so 4 4oz bottles should be enough for your baby. Every baby is different, and not all babies follow this pattern.

Before adding formula, investigate other causes for baby to want more.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you! My husband asked the daycare this morning and they said after he finishes the 4oz he is fussy and cranky because he is still hungry. I also spoke with my LL leader in my area and she gave me some good suggestions too. I will be out buying new nipples today!

He might be fussy and cranky because his need to suck wasn't satisfied by a faster-flowing bottle, not necessarily because he wants more in the bottle.

I'm so very glad to hear that you got to talk to a LLL Leader!

Let us know how things go!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!