Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My breastfed baby has an ear infection

Default My breastfed baby has an ear infection

Hi everyone! My little Luna (9mo old) is EBF and has an ear infection and a nasty cold. We started antibiotics on Tuesday night and today she still has a fever and looks like she's in pain. I'm not sure what to do! My oldest daughter never had an ear infection when she was a baby and I thought I was in the clear with Luna as well because she's breastfed. Actually Luna has been sick on and off for months! Just two weeks ago we battled a five day long fever and now we're back again. She's been on tylenol and advil every three hours all week long. I'm starting to get worried about how much medicine she's getting in her little body, but without it she seems to be in so much pain and so uncomfortable due to her fever. She's also nursing a LOT less! Normally she nurses to sleep for naps and bedtime (20-30min) but the past few days she'll nurse for a few minutes and then turn over and go to sleep. Under normal circumstances I'd be thrilled for her to do that, but now I'm just plain worried. I've talked with her dr and I'm to take her temp again when she wakes up from her nap and if it's risen (since 100.5 this am) then I'm to take her in again. I guess I'm asking for support stories and any suggestions to help Luna feel more comfortable without more meds. Thank you all in advance!
    I just don't want to worry so much!

Default Re: My breastfed baby has an ear infection

How was her temperature when she woke up?

I am in a similar boat with my 4 month old EBF son. After 9 days up and down temperature, multiple trips to the pediatrician I finally decided it was not going to clear on its own. I guess I have no sage advice, just to let you know I am in the same boat. I hate antibiotics but I felt awful that my little one was in pain. Now I am terrified thrush. Arhagh.

If Antibiotics are needed, they are needed (it doesn't help to put them off too long) and I would say get some pro-biotics to help lessen the chances of thrush (and eat lots of yogurt or other pro-biotic foods yourself too.)

If it is something that can be treated with antibiotics, (bacterial infection rather than viral) the antibiotics should work quickly. If your baby is still having fever after 4 days on antibiotics I would definitely have your child seen again by doctor immediately.

Even if baby is feeling better, if the issue is a bacterial infection it is important to stay on the antibiotics for the full course.

In my experience, there are ear infections and there are things that look like ear "infections" but are actually mucous build up and discharge from the ear, and those may not require antibiotics. The latter happened to my daughter. But she did not have several days of fever.

A great pain reliever for my daughter was to place a few drops of olive oil in her ear and massage just below the ear gently. This was suggested by our pediatrician. Some also suggest garlic or onion mixed in the olive oil.

Breast milk can help relieve ear infections too, just squirt a little into the ear. I'd still use the antibiotics too!

I am going to parrot maddieb, if baby is still suffering after 4 days, then it was not due to a bacterial ear infection, however, you should still finish the entire course of antibiotics. Once antibiotics are started they need to be finished.

Babies are not like adults in how they regulate body temperature. When we have a fever and get the chills, we bundle up and our body can handle self regulating, to a point. Babies do not regulate body temperature as well so when they have a fever we should try to keep them cool. I mention this because you are saying you are uncomfortable with all of the fever reducer medication she is getting. Medication is not always necessary to reduce a baby's fever. Try a cool sponge bath, getting under her arms and on her neck, then keep her in light clothes, see if that helps her discomfort.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.