Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanting to relactate after three months

Default Wanting to relactate after three months

Okay, so here's my story:

When my son was born (July 11th, 2014), he was not able to latch on to my breast. I tried pumping while in the hospital but it took a long while for my milk to come in. I was obviously concerned that he was not eating, so I started bottle feeding him formula. I tried pumping once we were home but I could not get on a schedule due to a bathroom remodel, strange people in and out of my house, and zero privacy. I am adamant about trying to breast feed again. My son, unfortunately, is still not interested in my breast so I will have to exclusively pump. I am loading up on Mother's Milk tea, I have Fenugreek supplements that I'm about to start taking along with Gaia Lactation Support. So, my concerns are:

First, is it even possible to get a supply after three months and if so, is there anything else that I can do to help? Any medications that I can get from my physician on top of the all natural supplements?
    Second, a year ago this June, I had a breast lift and implant placed behind the muscle. Is there a possibility that I can't breastfeed because of this? Has anyone had any experience with this? I am able to hand express drops every day so, I'm obviously capable of producing milk but I'm curious if the surgery will affect my supply.

Thank you.

Default Re: Wanting to relactate after three months

Welcome to the forum!

First, is it even possible to get a supply after three months
    Yes. Just expect it to take time, effort, and dedication!

and if so, is there anything else that I can do to help?
    Use a hospital-grade rental pump with correctly sized shields.

Pump frequently- 8-10 times per day would be excellent, and if you could do even more than that it would be better. Remember that more pumping is better for supply than any drug or herb! But don't get too freaked out if you are unable to reach your pumping goal every day- life will interrupt sometimes. And even if you just pump once per day, it's better than nothing.

Make sure some of your pumping sessions take place overnight.

Any medications that I can get from my physician on top of the all natural supplements
    There are two Rx drugs- Reglan and Domperidone- which are used off-label to increase prolactin levels and milk supply. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for all moms, so you definitely need to talk to your doctor before taking either one.

Second, a year ago this June, I had a breast lift and implant placed behind the muscle. Is there a possibility that I can't breastfeed because of this? Has anyone had any experience with this? I am able to hand express drops every day so, I'm obviously capable of producing milk but I'm curious if the surgery will affect my supply.
    It is possible that the surgery will affect your ability to produce milk. Surgery can disrupt the network of ducts which produce, store, and move milk through the breast. Luckily, implants which are placed under the muscle are generally much less likely to impact milk production. The most troublesome surgeries are those which sever and reattach the nipple. If your surgery did not include that component, you have a much better chance of getting the milk you want.

Getting drops already is terrific! That means you are till in production mode, albeit it at a fairly low level. Keep at it, mama!

I almost cried reading this. You have definitely restored my faith.

Thank you so, so much!

"I am adamant about trying to breast feed again. My son, unfortunately, is still not interested in my breast so I will have to exclusively pump."

Babies also can be coaxed back to the breast, so that might be worth considering as well. Relactation is a huge undertaking, so it's totally up to you. But if you could get baby to the breast, maybe through the use of an SNS or Lact Aid, that would be additional stimulation (and nursing a baby is more enjoyable than nursing a pump, so there's that too!).

Do you have supporters in your life that are in on this game plan too? Who can cheer you on, but also hold a baby, cook you food, walk dogs or scoop liter, get the mail, etc?