Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about wrapping yourself?

Default What about wrapping yourself?

I have been told I should wrap/bind myself with an ace bandage to properly close ducts? Must I? And if so, how long?

Default Re: What about wrapping yourself?

I don't know much about the wrapping thing, but what I'm very sure is that it will give you plugged ducts not closed ducts, and that ain't fun plus it could bring even more problems. Someone might have very advise than me, I'm extremely tired and incoherent.

Welcome to the forum!

where did you hear that?

I read it, don't exactly remember where, I'll look through my books. Also when you have mastitis, a plugged duct or a milk blister you ain't supposed to use any constrictive bra or blouse, it will make the clogging worse, so wrapping yourself most likely will have the same effect. I'll look to find a better answer and maybe some references for you.

Take care!

Then y do they wrap at hospitals when a mother decides not to bf? Or do they? well that's what I thought!

Sorry you decided to wean. If you gradually wean then you won't have the engorgement problem. Take away a feeding every day or two. You have until January, right?

Do you just not think you can pump while you are gone? Or do you not have the support?

Ideally, weaning should be gradual enough for both baby and mom to meet the child's emotional needs during this change in addition to allowing for mom's body to adjust to the change in demand for her milk supply. There is no need to wrap the mom, though she may feel more comfortable wearing a firm- but not binding- bra, restrict salt, and drink to thirst.

There is no need to close the ducts. The Breastfeeding Answer Book states on p. 198: "Caution: Binding the breasts has not been proven effective; it may intensify a mother's discomfort. Any consistent pressure on the breasts can cause plugged ducts or mastitis." it goes on to say on p. 199:
    "Once the feeling of fullness is gone, it is not unusual for the mother to be able to express small amounts of milk for several months or even years." However, if you have a significant amount of milk months or years after weaning, you may want to talk to your doctor about a possible hormonal imbalance.
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; November 30th, 2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by mother_angel View Post
    Then y do they wrap at hospitals when a mother decides not to bf? Or do they? well that's what I thought!
    Some hospitals may still do this, but it is not necessary and can cause more harm than good (old school thought!).
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

The Breastfeeding Answer Book states on p. 198: "Caution: Binding the breasts has not been proven effective; it may intensify a mother's discomfort. Any consistent pressure on the breasts can cause plugged ducts or mastitis."
    Thanks Kristie, I'm going like crazy through the books and couldn't find it.

I never heard of hospitals doing that but I've never question that before so I wouldn't really know. An explanation could be that since in order to build a milk supply you need to nurse your child, if the person decide not to do it from the beginning they'll still have colostrum or milk but not really a supply build up too cause to much trouble, KWIM. That's just me thinking of why would they do it.

Well in this case I kinda still am unsure. I feel like my social life is almost gone. I want to be able to go out when I want. But this may be my last baby or maybe second to last and I want to continue bfing.