Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old pulling at end of feeding sessions

Question 5 month old pulling at end of feeding sessions

My son is 5 months old and at the end of feedings, he is pulling hard on my nipple. I think he is trying to trigger another let down and is frustrated by the slower flow at the end of feedings, but I don't know how to get him to stop… It is quite painful and not an enjoyable nursing experience. I have 2 older children who went through phases like this, but it didn't last as long (he has been doing this for weeks now). I have tried breaking the latch and saying "No" when he does it, but it doesn't seem to be deterring him. Suggestions please??

Default Re: 5 month old pulling at end of feeding sessions

Watch closely and switch sides before he does it?

I'm afraid he's not getting enough to eat, especially if he's not getting much hind milk

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gecz83 View Post
    I'm afraid he's not getting enough to eat, especially if he's not getting much hind milk
    All your milk is good for baby, put the idea of foremilk/hindmilk out of your mind unless you have such over supply and OALD that baby is gaining way fast and pulling off because of too much flow.

Switching sides is a way to help increase the amount baby gets and increase supply.

Add breast compressions to help milk flow more to help him get more and keep him sucking longer.