Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doc says not nursing for long enough each Breast

Default Doc says not nursing for long enough each Breast

I have a newborn 8 days old. I nursed my first for over 2 yrs and although successful, really struggled in the beginning. I was so happy because everything with this LO seemed to be going so well. He latches without problem, nurses often (16x yesterday), has frequent wet diapers and bm (7 bm and 8 wet diapers yesterday) and gained back 6 oz. While he is not back at birth weight, he is now 6 lbs 9 oz from 6 lb 3 (was 6 lb, 14 at birth). Because of my previous struggles, I am not as confident as I should be after nursing my first for over 2 yrs. At our 1 week check his pediatrician wanted to know how long he nurses at each breast each time and I told her it varies from 5-25 min total, sometimes 10 min or so each breast, sometimes he only wants one for 9 min, etc. I also said he nurses often but varying from every 1-3 hrs, most often about every 1 and 1/2 to 2 hrs. She said I need to get him to nurse every 2-3 for 15 min each breast every time or I may not maintain a good supply and he may not get enough. I asked how I was supposed to force him on a schedule and to force him for said amount of time and she said mess with him to keep him awake and nursing. Doesn't seem right to me. I feel we are doing well but now I'm questioning myself. Looking for advice/ support. He seems satisfied and comes off nipple on own. When I offer other breast he sometime stakes it and when he doesn't he sticks out lips and turns away like no mommy I'm done.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: Doc says not nursing for long enough each Breast

Congratulations! You're doing wonderful, mama! Sorry your doctor has made you feel unsure when everything is going so well. Your instincts are right. There's absolutely no reason to change anything that you are doing. Your supply is definitely going to be fine nursing that often! He's also obviously getting enough or he wouldn't be gaining weight back from the lowest known weight. Go ahead and relax again. Enjoy that new baby!

She said I need to get him to nurse every 2-3 for 15 min each breast every time or I may not maintain a good supply and he may not get enough.
    this is the kind of advice that destroys breastfeeding. it is simply incorrect to suggest there is some ideal time frame for length of nursing session or time between sessions. When trying to increase milk production, more frequent nursing is often more important than length of session.

I would suggest, ask your doctor what her immediate concern is. If the concern is that baby is not gaining fast enough, there are ways to try to help baby nurse longer or more actively you can try. Namely, switching sides during the feeding and/or breast compressions. And some babies DO need to be helped to stay awake at the breast especially in the early days. If, after such steps are taken, it appears clear that baby is not getting enough to gain well while nursing frequently, it is possible there is some issue with baby's ability to transfer milk, but that is not solved by scheduling but by addressing whatever is going on with latch that may be causing a milk transfer issue.

It is hard to know if there is any reason to be concerned as baby is only one week old and had a pretty dramatic initial drop in weight, so baby has a lot of ground to make up. In other words, I am not suggesting anything is wrong at all! I just wonder what it is your pediatrician is concerned about. There are two major breastfeeding issues-baby not gaining well, and/or nursing is painful to mom. If neither of those are going on, all is probably fine.

I agree that if nursing feels good and baby is gaining well, then it really doesn't matter how long or short or how often you nurse as long as you nurse on demand and offer to nurse if you feel it has been long enough even if baby hasn't cued.

In fact nursing frequently is better for your supply.

If Dr gives you more grief, get her to refer you to an IBCLC for qualified breastfeeding support instead of giving advice that will harm your supply and probably leave baby hungry by making him wait between feedings.

omg I couldnt even finish reading your post....WTH is your doctor saying???? Does not know what he/she is talking about.

Seriously I have had enough of the uneducated doctors spitting out 'breastfeeding advice' If I was younger I would be signing up for med school.

Thank you