Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray

Default Spray

I've finally gone 3 days without using the nipple shield and now all of a sudden every time baby unlatches it sprays in many directions and as far I'd say as 2 feet and doesn't stop until I put a cloth on it for a while. It makes a big mess and gets baby in the face. Also, I leak heavily and quickly all day long. Although I've had engorgement issues in the past I don't have them now. Is this normal? I hate seeing all that milk wasted!

I'm a FTM and baby is 8.5weeks.

Default Re: Spray

Also I wanted to add baby now does 5 minute feeds most of the time and only as long as 15 once or twice a day.

sounds like OALD.
    Most advice I hear for that is nurse frequently.

I've heard of a thing called a mymilkies milk saver that could catch the leaking milk from the non nursing breast. Catching spray when baby pops off is a bit trickier but quickly catching it in a bottle or hand expression catcher might work sort of if you have it handy when nursing.

Don't worry too much about "wasting" milk. Any milk that leaves the breast will be replaced.

Thanks!
    I pump once a day (in the middle of the night 2am ) for 5 minutes to prepare for when I go back to work and because I get painfully rock hard if it goes past 4 hours and I noticed that last night my outtake has gone up an oz. it was a little over 5oz now its a little over 6oz, do you think the spray and leakage could lead me back down the road to engorgement? Or should I not worry that this will likely correct itself?

Spraying and leaking are entirely normal, if messy, aspects of breastfeeding. SOME mothers leak & spray and others do not. And some mothers who spray and leak, spray and leak a lot! Leaking is actually helpful in lessening the possibility of serious engorgement, plugs, and mastitis. IN other words, Mother Nature is not worried about a mom 'wasting' milk so you do not need to e either!

Copious spray and leaking does indicate a possible oversupply issue, as does getting very full and hard between nursing sessions. But unless baby is also gaining very very rapidly, this may be fast letdown without the over production.

What I find interesting is that this is only becoming an issue now, at 2 months. More commonly, 2 months would be the time milk production typically begins to calm down and early issues with OS and fast letdown abate. I imagine that perhaps your milk production is getting a big boost from something? Not using nipple shield might do this...were you pumping WHILE using the shields as is often recommended, or for any other reason, earlier on?

Anyway, I would suggest:
    Nurse as often as baby will, including overnight. It is fine to encourage frequent nursing even at night! Frequent nursing helps with the fast letdown that is causing the spraying and also will lessen overfullness between feedings. If baby prefers to nurse one side at a time that is fine.

If you need to pump due to being overfull, fine. Pump JUST until you feel comfortable. Hand expression also works well for this.
    EXTRA pumping to build a stash for when you go back to work may well exacerbate overproduction. Pumping 5 or 6 ounces once a day (That is a LOT) is telling your body to make more milk than your baby needs. Again, if pumping is needed to avoid painful overfullness, that is one thing. But if you can hold off on pumping for any other reason for a couple weeks that may help the fast letdown and the copious leaking calm down faster.

I think figuring out some method of saving the leaking milk from one side when you are nursing the other would be a great idea, because that would give you milk for when you are back at work without pumping. But only as long as you can do it is a way that does not interfere with your enjoyment of nursing your baby.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 25th, 2014 at 09:44 AM.

I have had overproduction, engorgement and fast letdown issues since week 2, but they were being managed. Then after I was able to drop the nipple shield the major leaking and spray started. The spray is getting better, although I think baby liked it because she would unlatch then hold her mouth open over my nipple so she'd get milk without the effort. We gets lots of poop and pee diapers and I can tell she is growing because she's gone up a clothes size. I'll know how much weight on Monday for her 2month pediatrician apt.

I would love to stop the 2am pump, but to be honest I know this will probably sound crazy, but even though I have over production issues I'm terrified of my supply running out! The regular 5 min pump reassure me and gives me back up in the freezer. I have PCOS, am on the mini pill and will be going back to work next month. I'm so scared that this milk abundance will just all of a sudden dry out and it stresses me out, I mean what if I get sick? I do have over 100oz of milk in my freezer. I eat lactation cookies and drink mothers tea and eat for production to reduce my anxiety...I'm hoping I'll be able to get over this fear in time...

I'd say wake or dream feed the baby if at all possible and skip the pumping session. Possibly hand express for comfort if baby won't eat. And get the mymilkies to collect the leakage so you can feel you are still saving milk.

Sounds like getting rid of the shield has helped up your supply.

Remember, if your supply drops later, you can bring it back up with lots of pumping/nursing and you have a good stash already provided you can pump at work you will likely only need one work day's worth of milk from the stash for your first day back and the rest is pumped at work for the next day.

PCOS and the mini pill don't always cause supply problems and don't seem to be in your case.

Many moms have overproduction and fast letdown and both they and baby are not having any issues due to it, so for them it is not a big deal. Like many other things, overproduction is only a problem if it is a problem. So if you are reassured by pumping at night and it is not causing baby to refuse to nurse or have other issues, and not causing you to get plugs or mastitis then I would say, pump away!

Nipple shields are known to reduce milk flow, so I agree no longer having to use them is probably helping the milk flow faster. I am not sure it means your milk production has actually increased but it does not really matter.
    Obviously your milk production is not only normal but above normal at this point. So I certainly do not see the need for taking galactagogues, even in tea or cookie form) at this time. Frankly the evidence that PCOS alone causes low milk production is a bit contradictory. Many mothers with PCOS nurse fine and many have overproduction as you report. The minipill also only harms the milk production of some moms. However, with both of those going on AND the possible harm to production of pumping only part of the day when you are back to work, I see no reason to get complacent about milk production. Issues are something to look out for. But there are clearly no issues now with your production.

Milk production, once well established in the early weeks as your clearly has been, is not going to suddenly dry up, even if a mother becomes very ill. Every time you hear a story of how someone suddenly 'lost' their milk production, ask more questions. Often you will find that there is much more to the story. Breastfeeding is how all mammals including humans have successfully fed their babies and survived and thrived as a species for hundreds of thousands of years. It is simply not all that fragile a system.

Thank you again!

So I decided to stop my 2am pump for the first time last night and nursed at 9pm and we both (baby girl and I) slept until 4am. She nursed on both sides (I was very hard and drenched as expected) without any issues latching then we both went back to sleep and woke up at 8am. She's nursed on one side but doesn't have any interest in the other (I tried putting the nipple in her mouth with milk on it, but she wouldn't nurse). It's not unbearable (I've felt engorgement pain and this is not it) but uncomfortable and frustrating since she is sleeping more than usual and I'd like her to nurse...(I've not slept this much since pregnancy!)

Should I keep at this until it gets better or does any of this make you think I should do a pump?

Also, maybe I got confused but I thought the lactation cookies and tea were supposed to 'improve your supply' I take that to mean not just quantity but quality too- tell me if I'm wrong, because I eat and drink these for quality?